Anyone high dose Leucine?

halljo

halljo

Awards
Curious if anyone high doses leucine? High dose being around 6,000 milligrams. Looking for any results/issues anyone may have had.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
6g isnt high dosing leucine. There are products containing more then that. I personally haven't used bcaas very much so i will let others comment on that.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I dose leucine about 10-15 grams a day. It's a staple of mine. I mean the data suggests it's good for activating mtor so it definitely doesn't hurt to take it. Plus it's cheap

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
It's not cheap... it was only one time at nutraplanet.com and I bought like 10 bottles. As for dosage I go as high as 20g split into 4 doses when I cut. I do it in between meals.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Stu Phillips' data suggests that if you are going to consume a meal with very low protein in it, 3-5g of Leucine taken along with it, will maximize mTOR almost = to a full 25g Whey meal. But the full protein meal still was the best option. So if you get your protein requirements (latest research is .4g/KG) per meal, supplemental Leucine isn't necessary. I actually did this for months (3g 15-30 minutes before adequate protein meal) and didn't see anything notable in the log book. I don't purchase bulk Leucine anymore. When I did, I got SNS powder and don't remember it being too expensive - but that's all relative I guess.

Frontiers | Nutritional interventions to augment resistance training-induced skeletal muscle hypertrophy | Exercise Physiology

Attachments

halljo

halljo

Awards
Damn...and I thought 6g's was a high line for activating mtor and muscle growth. 10-20 seems like massive overkill, but if it works for you, without issues, then I don't think I need to worry about taking 6.

TheGoodLife35

TheGoodLife35

Awards
I am thinking about supplementing this in bulk instead of just in my pre workout. I think long term this can be great when dieting and being on low carb.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Muscle tech had a product called lucikic that was expensive as **** but I got like 15 bottles for free. It did help with recovery a bit. It was a while back so I can't say I remember much else

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Damn...and I thought 6g's was a high line for activating mtor and muscle growth. 10-20 seems like massive overkill, but if it works for you, without issues, then I don't think I need to worry about taking 6.
Well I use SNS leucine and their directions even state using 5 grams 2-3 times a day is totally fine. Like I said it's super cheap too

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm....SNS does sell high quality stuff.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was dosing it 3 times a day and definitely noticed an increase in recovery. Dramatic even. I've been too lazy to remember to take it lately though.

Reactions: mw1
kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3-5 grams of Leucine per dose would be ideal if dosing solo.

Reactions: mw1
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So if you get your protein requirements (latest research is .4g/KG) .....
that is bare minimum numbers for health. For trained individuals it is closer to 0.8g/lb (1.8g/kg) and possibly even higher the more trained and lean you are

everything else was about right.

Leucine on its own prolly wont do much with regards to MPS. There needs to be other amino substrates available.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
that is bare minimum numbers for health. For trained individuals it is closer to 0.8g/kg and possibly even higher the more trained and lean you are
What I read in that entire thing is that as a *Natural*, you are tapped out @ .4g/Kg - more does nothing. I mean, the title of the paper was:
Nutritional interventions to augment resistance training-induced skeletal muscle hypertrophy
Remember, it was about Per Meal Intake (Not total per day). You still need your 1.6g/Kg or 1g/Lb or 1.xg/Lb etc... TOTAL for the day. 200lb guy = 5 meals of 40g - done.

Citing data from whole-body protein turnover Deutz and Wolfe made the case that larger doses of protein can still be more anabolic than smaller doses due to a marked suppression of protein breakdown (Deutz and Wolfe, 2013). The problem in translating these findings to skeletal muscle is that non-muscle tissues dominate whole-body measures of protein turnover, with muscle accounting for only 25–30% of whole body protein turnover (Nair et al., 1988). Thus, even if there is increasingly positive whole-body protein balance with protein doses higher than what we are recommending here we propose that those would be predominantly due to suppression of proteolysis in non-muscle tissues. Even if 25–30% of the suppression of whole-body proteolysis with larger protein doses (Deutz and Wolfe, 2013) were from skeletal MPB such potential gains would be, in our estimation, unlikely to impart a marked benefit in terms of stimulating muscular hypertrophy.
"Assisted" trainees probably need more though.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Leucine makes me lethargic as heck lol. I get a huge insulin surge and subsequent hypo from even 5 grams, significantly worse than carbs. I'm a low carber but I still always found this strange.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leucine makes me lethargic as heck lol. I get a huge insulin surge and subsequent hypo from even 5 grams, significantly worse than carbs. I'm a low carber but I still always found this strange.
One negative many notice especially if taking Leucine and/or BCAA fasted -- going hypo.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use to do this, but never noticed a huge difference.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that is bare minimum numbers for health. For trained individuals it is closer to 0.8g/lb (1.8g/kg) and possibly even higher the more trained and lean you are

everything else was about right.

Leucine on its own prolly wont do much with regards to MPS. There needs to be other amino substrates available.
Who eats only Leucine?. I mean if you eat any protein at all....Maybe I'm confused....

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Bcaa s make me extremely hypo pre workout, thought I was the only one. Struggle to get a decent workout, tired and no pump. Any help if I dose with carbs to negate? I usually workout fasted am. Thank you.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Bcaa s make me extremely hypo pre workout, thought I was the only one. Struggle to get a decent workout, tired and no pump. Any help if I dose with carbs to negate? I usually workout fasted am. Thank you.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, carbs would negate you from going hypo.

I would throw in some Gatorade powder if you wanted to strictly do liquid for your intra.