Let's talk Curcumin.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are the best options for curcumin/what are the various options you've tried? So far, I've used both Swanson Curcumin (with Piperpine) and Meriva Curcumin. Any other options/evidence for better sources?

Bonesaw93

Awards
I use the vitacost brand...pretty affordable and I can def tell that it's working

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Curcumin is the active ingredient of turmeric, and is also found in limited amounts in Ginger. It is a potent anti-inflammatory and cancer preventative molecule, and similar to Fish Oil it seems to be an effective metabolic syndrome band-aid. Black Pepper greatly enhances absorption

Bonesaw93

Awards
I have an old knee injury from wrestling in college that aches a bit sometimes. Really don't have any aches and pains with curcumin. In addition it has show a ton of health benefits from prevention of all sorts of degenerative diseases to liver protection. There's really a ton of benefits.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Advanced Bio-Curcumin® with Ginger & Turmerones from Life Extension is a real good one

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
find a market that sells the fresh root and throw a few into your shakes

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
MetaCurcumin
Meriva
TheraCumin
BCM95

My personal preferences in that order.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Best places to find cheap?
Been using Meriva Curcumin and it's pretty good. At 2 caps a day, it's the same price as taking 4 caps a day on Bioperine based alternatives.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Quick question, do you use the gels or the actual liquid MetaCurcumin?
I have only used the gel caps.

If you go to the Super Human Radio site they have a coupon there for MetaCurcumin

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The strongest curcumin I have ever taken hands down is terry naturally Curamed 750 mg. It got rid of any pain I had going on in my body. I had to stop taking it because it gave me horrible heartburn but I have GERD so someone who doesn't have this issue wouldn't have this problem. Believe me I've tried different types of curcumin this one tops the list

jp_x_type

jp_x_type

Awards
  • Established
curcumin is super. a very undrestimated herb in my opinion. if you take the right stuff it will make you feel healthier. not just with regards to helping inflammation. excellent for pct as well. if you have the money, spend it on curamed or my favourite LEF Super Bio Curcumin (BCM95). Swanson is also running a sweet deal on their tetrahydrocurcumin product. i got like 10 bottles of that lol. coupled with a cap of lef super bio curcumin daily it has done my body good. it's also energizing if youre interested in cutting back on stims...

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
curcumin is super. a very undrestimated herb in my opinion. if you take the right stuff it will make you feel healthier. not just with regards to helping inflammation. excellent for pct as well. if you have the money, spend it on curamed or my favourite LEF Super Bio Curcumin (BCM95). Swanson is also running a sweet deal on their tetrahydrocurcumin product. i got like 10 bottles of that lol. coupled with a cap of lef super bio curcumin daily it has done my body good. it's also energizing if youre interested in cutting back on stims...
Yeah, Curcumin is ridiculously good. I didn't bother listing the benefits because I figure everyone who goes into this thread would know why they're taking it, haha.

cubs1987

cubs1987

Awards
  • Established
subbed. Looking more into curcumin and the benefits all seem very promising

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
subbed. Looking more into curcumin and the benefits all seem very promising
Quick summary:

1) Joint health/anti inflammatory/pain relief
2) Anti-catabolic
3) Better insulin sensitivity
4) Reduces estrogen/increases test
5) Anti-cancer

This is from vague memory. There's studies/anecdote all over the internet.

Jriddik

Awards
So I got the Life Extension Super Bio Curcumin.... Dosing says one a day.... Any need to take more? It says the dosing system causes 400mg to equate to 2772mg of traditional 95% extract?

madmuscle24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Injectable curcumin blows any pill form away by a mile.

AndrewMcD

Awards
  • Established
Life Extension SuperBio Curcumin is the best I've used.

anaboliks

Awards
I haven't been on here in months but I stopped by to see any discussion on curcumin because I recently started taking it about a month ago. To my surprise, there are posts on in from today.

My .02$. Curcumin is absolutely incredible. It might be the most effective supplement I have ever taken. My joints feel amazing. Mentally I feel amazing. Energy levels are up. I wish I would have discovered it years ago. I have tried Vitamin Shoppe Brand and also Life Extension's. I have to give Life Extension's the edge. It seems to be more effective in all of areas of curcumin benefits. it is truly special.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Eat curry get gains! Thats the secret in this thread!

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I haven't been on here in months but I stopped by to see any discussion on curcumin because I recently started taking it about a month ago. To my surprise, there are posts on in from today.

My .02$. Curcumin is absolutely incredible. It might be the most effective supplement I have ever taken. My joints feel amazing. Mentally I feel amazing. Energy levels are up. I wish I would have discovered it years ago. I have tried Vitamin Shoppe Brand and also Life Extension's. I have to give Life Extension's the edge. It seems to be more effective in all of areas of curcumin benefits. it is truly special.
You should try MetaCurcumin (which is next on my to-do list) and Meriva (which I have tried and enjoyed) as well. Internet research is saying MetaCurcumin is definitely as potent or more potent than Meriva, so I'm excited.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Looks promising. You dose 2 caps per day, right?
Honestly I have been doing one cap per day. Based on the RevGenetics information one serving of MetaCurcumin, 2 caps, would be equal to 4.62 caps of Mervia (in men). So I decided to start with one cap and haven't moved up from there.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly I have been doing one cap per day. Based on the RevGenetics information one serving of MetaCurcumin, 2 caps, would be equal to 4.62 caps of Mervia (in men). So I decided to start with one cap and haven't moved up from there.
I see you've read the same thread I've been reading, and I agree. Apparently 1 gel is equivalent to ~11g Curcumin in females, and slightly less in men.

Jriddik

Awards
I have not heard of this before. Do you know what excipients/buffers are present in the formulation?
I dunno if I would do this.... I haven't heard anything about it before.... And I'm having trouble finding any data at all. I could be wrong though

Bonesaw93

Awards
Yea I hadn't heard about it either but it piqued my curiosity.

madmuscle24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I not sure of the exact solvents used. I know it doesn't use ethyl oleate or any other of the toxic solvents some use. I'm sure has BA/BB added just like everything else. If you look around on the right boards, your find tons of info/reviews on it. Me personally have gotten great results on a measly 100mg per week. Far better than 2 grams of merivia or 800mg of bcm-95.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know of the board and all the guys that use iniectable seem to prefer it. I've never tried any type so I can't comment on effectiveness personally.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For those of you that swear by this, what dose and hw many times per day do you supplement with this? Highly interested in picking some up.

anaboliks

Awards
2 life extension caps a day does me good. They only recommend one

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I'm taking divine bounty curcumin and I'm liking it, it has absorption covered aswell. It really has helped with my right puffy nip when nothing else I tried worked (inhibit p, letrone, & rebirth)

I take 2 caps a day most of the time, somedays I forget my night dose

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Is that MetaCurcumin legit? Damn, I may start taking Curcumin again. A guaranteed minimum of 180 doses (up to 300) for $60... can't be true?

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is that MetaCurcumin legit? Damn, I may start taking Curcumin again. A guaranteed minimum of 180 doses (up to 300) for $60... can't be true?
Judging by forum reviews (other forums as well), it seems MetaCurcumin is very potent stuff and legit for the most part. But that's assuming the "studies" or whatever for it are true.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Judging by forum reviews (other forums as well), it seems MetaCurcumin is very potent stuff and legit for the most part. But that's assuming the "studies" or whatever for it are true.
I may risk a purchase. Don't know how I could tell though - I don't really have any problems? Inside of my left elbow is a little sore from benching - would it fix that? :)

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I may risk a purchase. Don't know how I could tell though - I don't really have any problems? Inside of my left elbow is a little sore from benching - would it fix that? :)
Curcumin is anti-inflammatory, and it has helped me in the past (and still does now) with creaky shoulders/elbows (when I run high frequency heavy bench press programs). Also, it gives me feelings of increased energy (good for stim breaks). Other than that, I can't say what I feel from it (it has many effects, and I can't say I feel like I'm anti-catabolic by using it, LOL)

My anecdotal evidence comes from Swanson Curcumin (Curc Extract + BioPerine), Biotest Curcumin (same as Swanson), and Meriva Curcumin.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Sounds good. I've used MerivaTM before, but like I said, nothing to treat, just because it's a known healthy substance. I'll let you know if I get the MetaC.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Uh... hey ma70, did you see this?:

When looking at the 17beta-HSD3, the final step in testicular testosterone synthesis, curcumin was found to be a noncompetitive inhibitor with an IC50 of 2.3uM, and brought Luteinizing-Hormone stimulated testosterone levels down to 34% of control at a concentration of 10uM.[37] This effect was not dose-dependent, and concentrations of 1uM were not significantly different from 0.1uM and control cells.[37]

Curcumin may also possess inhibitory actions against 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone into the more potent androgen DHT. The IC50 value is reportedly between 5-10uM.[38]

Given the above two mechanisms (17beta-HSD3 and 5AR inhibition) are anti-androgenic in nature, it would be prudent to observe in vivo effects of curcumin. The only current study on the matter used injections of PEG-curcumin at 0.5mg (giving a Cmax of 7ug/mL to then decline to 1ug/mL) noted a decrease in circulating testosterone levels and function of seminal vesicles, although testicle weight did not decline.[158]

In regards to aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen (and thus higher activity would mean a more anti-androgenic profile), curcumin does not directly inhibit aromatase in vitro[159] but appears to reduce the catalytic activity of aromatase (also known as CYP1A) in mice.[160] Clinical relevance of these effects is not known.

Curcumin appears to have protective effects on testicular functions, but possesses anti-androgenic activity. The concentration required for inhibition is high, but it appears to occur in vivo when it is met; it is uncertain what oral dose is needed for these effects, but it might occur with superloading and increasing bioavailability. Low doses of curcumin may have no adverse effect whatsoever

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Uh... hey ma70, did you see this?:
I think I've seen that before. Isn't that the study where extremely high doses of curcumin were used? I think a lot of people said that specific one was inconclusive.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I just grabbed it off Examine - the super bio-availability of MetaCurcumin is what made me look.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just grabbed it off Examine - the super bio-availability of MetaCurcumin is what made me look.
True. I've seen that study discussed but nothing conclusive ever came from it. Apparently, 1 gel of MetaCurcumin is equivalent to ~11g Curcumin in females, and possibly/probably less in males. So this may be one of those examples of megadosing. Maybe I'll stick to Meriva.

Drock1234

Awards
Source Naturals Turmeric w Meriva can be found for a reasonable price

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MadStax Anabolics 37
BigKrabbe Supplements 37
Supplements 6
GreenEarth Anabolics 1
Weight Loss 2