DOJ to announce actions against dietary supplements makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALIEN

Awards
Can't post a link..

Reuters US | Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:56pm EST

Federal agencies including the Department of Justice and the health and anti-trust regulators will announce on Tuesday criminal and civil actions related to unlawful advertising and sale of dietary supplements.

Shares of dietary supplement makers GNC Holdings Inc were down 20 percent, while those of Vitamin Shoppe fell nearly 8 percent and Herbalife Ltd 3 percent.

The DOJ said it would hold a press conference at 3:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday to announce the results of its investigation.
Reuters

Bloomberg November 17, 2015 — 11:51 AM CST

The Justice Department, the Food and Drug Administration and other federal agencies will announce criminal and civil enforcement actions over the advertising and sale of dietary supplements, according to a statement.

A press conference announcing the actions is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in Washington. No companies or individuals were named in the media advisory.

The other agencies involved are the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Defense, the Anti-Doping Agency and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

Bloomberg

Any thoughts on what and who this will entail?

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Is this saying that basically gnc, vitamin shoppe, and Herbalife were complaining to the doj that their sales dropped a bit and outted some companies? Or am I misinterpreting it

ALIEN

Awards
Is this saying that basically gnc, vitamin shoppe, and Herbalife were complaining to the doj that their sales dropped a bit and outted some companies? Or am I misinterpreting it
Well it could be a ruling against them or any other company. Since they did not name any names yet we have to wait about another hour to fund out. What ever it is will not be good for the supplement industry in general..

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
I have a feeling it's going to be towards companies producing/distributing sarms and pro hormones.. While there should be some regulation (since there are too many irresponsible and naive people out there) I wish the government would stop demonizing the industry

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
DOJ, might just might you have more pressing issues these days??????????????????

Nah, get dem supps.

Actually after reading further USPL is accused of some poor practices indeed. If true they should go down.

LLN

LLN

Awards
  • Established
Nice. This should clear some sh*t from the industry.

The more scum that gets removed, the more that good companies will be able to shine.

ALIEN

Awards

WASHINGTON, Nov 17 (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department unsealed an indictment on Tuesday against USPlabs, which made the workout supplement Jack3D, with criminal charges.

The department said it also filed charges against six company officials, four of whom were arrested on Tuesday.

The Justice Department said the indictment and arrests were part of a larger sweep by multiple agencies aimed at stemming the sale of unproven nutritional supplements. (Reporting by Diane Bartz; Editing by Eric Beech)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Thanks for link SG89. Interesting reading.

Ok, at the bottom are the actual indictments - more detailed.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards

WASHINGTON, Nov 17 (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department unsealed an indictment on Tuesday against USPlabs, which made the workout supplement Jack3D, with criminal charges.

The department said it also filed charges against six company officials, four of whom were arrested on Tuesday.

The Justice Department said the indictment and arrests were part of a larger sweep by multiple agencies aimed at stemming the sale of unproven nutritional supplements. (Reporting by Diane Bartz; Editing by Eric Beech)
Number of Wall Street officials arrested for destroying the country's economy?

#DOJPriorities

Though after reading the indictment I can't disagree with the decision by the DOJ. They probably do need to set an example about mislabeling supplement ingredients.

That said, the gov has way too much of a history of needlessly harassing the bodybuilding community when actual important **** is going on that they don't address (like, again, Wall Street criminals setting the country up to implode, pharm company abuse, etc.).

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Did you read the actual indictment - the whole thing? If any of that stuff is true, good on DoJ - and I'm not a DoJ fan. There are quotes from emails in there that are not good.

Reactions: LLN
Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Did you read the actual indictment - the whole thing? If any of that stuff is true, good on DoJ - and I'm not a DoJ fan. There are quotes from emails in there that are not good.
I agree.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read the entire thing. If they have this email chain, it means there will be lengthy jail sentences and hundreds of millions of dollars forfeited.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I read the entire thing. If they have this email chain, it means there will be lengthy jail sentences and hundreds of millions of dollars forfeited.
Did you see all the Charles Schwab and TD Ameritrade accounts listed for forfeiture at the end? Holy crap! :)

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Actually, upon reading the indictment, if true, people should be calling for their heads.

From paragraph 35:

"outbreak of liver injuries associated with USP Lab's products containing aegeline ... several consumers required liver transplants ... tried to ship the rest of its supply of OxyElitePro out of the US to avoid having the FDA seize the product."
Sounds like a bunch of sociopaths who didn't care whom they hurt. This is actually why I prefer to buy supps in bulk and make my own formulations. I'm sure not all supp companies are like this, but this isn't the first time a company has lied to and endangered the health of its customers to make profit. (See, e.g., usnic acid)

Reactions: LLN
carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Can someone post some of the content of these emails?

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
OMG. I just glad I didn't take some of this stuff. Now everyone is innocent until proven guilty but it sure looks that way

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you not see a .pdf when clicking this?

http://www.justice.gov/opa/file/793706/download <---- Opens a .pdf document in your browser
Very interesting read, particularly the part about them falsely claiming that their DMAA was an extract. I've noticed that Jack'd Up only lists 1,3 Dimethylamylamine HCl" and not any sort of extract. I wonder about Mesomorph's "Geranaburn (geranium oil extract)."

Somewhat similarly, tons of supplements use synthetic caffeine anhydrous, but they shouldn't be calling it "coffee bean extract."

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually, upon reading the indictment, if true, people should be calling for their heads.

From paragraph 35:

Sounds like a bunch of sociopaths who didn't care whom they hurt. This is actually why I prefer to buy supps in bulk and make my own formulations. I'm sure not all supp companies are like this, but this isn't the first time a company has lied to and endangered the health of its customers to make profit. (See, e.g., usnic acid)
The thing with the liver failures was because of acetaminophen not the supplement. Someone posted a link about it a while in one of those threads about the people with the liver failures.

HIM

HIM

Awards

From paragraph 35:

Like when Bayer got caught selling tainted medications overseas. Pretty sure it was for AIDS patients or hemophiliacs.... can't remember which. Sickening people to say the least.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
The thing with the liver failures was because of acetaminophen not the supplement. Someone posted a link about it a while in one of those threads about the people with the liver failures.
The indictment says (yeah, it's just an indictment) that it was the Cynanchum Aurticulatum that was liver toxic, and USPL knew. But since they couldn't find a Chinese extract, they just ordered powdered whole roots, and believed that because it wasn't a concentrate, nothing would happen.

See: .29-.35 Starting Page 9

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you elaborate? I know GNC stock dropped 20% today with the announcement.
Guess how many supplements are labeled and promoted as containing an extract but actually contain a wholly synthetic ingredient.

Every person involved in the production of those supplements is guilty of a large portion of the claims laid out in this indictment.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Guess how many supplements are labeled and promoted as containing an extract but actually contain a wholly synthetic ingredient.

Every person involved in the production of those supplements is guilty of a large portion of the claims laid out in this indictment.
Very huge. Makes sense as to why they invested a large sum of money into finding DMAAs presence in nature. Alongside other notable companies.

This could apply to everyone who has used DMAA and stated an extract where it hasn't been. :O

That PDF is very telling of conspiracy lol

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Very huge. Makes sense as to why they invested a large sum of money into finding DMAAs presence in nature. Alongside other notable companies.

This could apply to everyone who has used DMAA and stated an extract where it hasn't been. :O
And many other ingredients as well.

Looking at you Areca Nut/Arecoline.

Looking at you Acacia Rigidula/BMPEA

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
And many other ingredients as well.

Looking at you Areca Nut/Arecoline.

Looking at you Acacia Rigidula/BMPEA
Wasn't the Acacia deal that it was found in an amount that was something like 000000000.1 parts per million or something? Meaning that you would need process like a ton per bottle or something like that?

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
This is....huge....

This could cause potentially catastrophic consequences for the entire industry.
Can you elaborate on some changes that may occur as a result of all this?

EDIT: whoops looks like someone already asked, but I'm interested to hear what do you think is going to happen to the industry as a whole. More restrictions on unproven stuff like AMP Citrate, different labelling, lead to a lack of "novel" ingredients in the future etc.

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established

I remember you saying something like the Pine Bark extract in EP is non-compliant even though it replaced Arimistane. Is that an example of what you are referring to as well?

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see they are asking to seize vehicles.

Do we all get to share the Ferrari for our suffering haha

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This makes me a little iffy to take any supplement. I know they have a history and the companies I use don't.... But still. The fraudulent COA thing is scary AF

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I remember you saying something like the Pine Bark extract in EP is non-compliant even though it replaced Arimistane. Is that an example of what you are referring to as well?
No, since Abietic acid does actually occur in pine bark?

It's a prime constituent in resin and can actually be extracted in useful quantities.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wasn't the Acacia deal that it was found in an amount that was something like 000000000.1 parts per million or something? Meaning that you would need process like a ton per bottle or something like that?
And you think they're processing a ton per bottle? I don't :D

Their own court document states they found it in something like 7 parts per million, Like I said before I'd love to see the facility where they're processing millions of tons of acacia per year

LLN

LLN

Awards
  • Established
This makes me a little iffy to take any supplement. I know they have a history and the companies I use don't.... But still. The fraudulent COA thing is scary AF
We should be more afraid of the government.

Remember the thread not so long ago on how it'd be a bad idea if the FDA held supplement companies up to great scrutiny...

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
about time- one of the many reasons I discontinued "bodybuilding" supplements

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We should be more afraid of the government.

Remember the thread not so long ago on how it'd be a bad idea if the FDA held supplement companies up to great scrutiny...
Not sure I follow where you are going

MonteRXS

MonteRXS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Wow! This definitely doesn't do the industry any good. Or maybe it does.... Wipe out all the shady companies.

This is why we just can't have nice things.... Smh

Status
Not open for further replies.