Higher doses of betaine (TMG) in the 6-8g/day range

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I've been taking betaine anhydrous (TMG) at about 1.5g twice per day for about 8 weeks or so. While the effect may be subtle, I don't think I have noticed anything substantial from it at this dose.

Therefore, I decided to try taking between ~5-8g day. This morning I took a dose of 4g, and noticed a mild increase in energy, and a pretty big pump for a few hours afterwards.
Any thoughts on taking betaine anhydrous at around 8g per day instead of 2-3g? In other words, any reasons not to see if more has a more significant effect?

Studies I've read so far seem to suggest it is safe at doses quite a bit higher than 8g:

A 1-y pilot study (150) showed that betaine (20 g/d) is safe and well tolerated and leads to significant biochemical and histologic improvement in patients with NASH.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/3/539.long

Adizzle1

Adizzle1

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
TMG can cause GI upset or diarehea if dosed to high in some individuals so I probablly wouldnt take 8g all at once. Splitting the doses may be a plausible solution.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
That's my plan, to do about 3-4g twice per day. Any thoughts or has anyone tried this?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I'm also three weeks in with PA from Fearn's, and I think I'm getting strength increases from PA for sure, but today I hit PRs (not all time but since I've been bulking again) in literally every exercise I did except one. Great pump and weights felt lighter. Some mild stomach bloating but nothing significant.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
There's a study done on horses..( I know..Horses) but there was an amplifying effect when Betaine was taken in conjuction with CLA..pretty good fat burning took place..FWIW

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's a study done on horses..( I know..Horses) but there was an amplifying effect when Betaine was taken in conjuction with CLA..pretty good fat burning took place..FWIW
Link to said study?

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've read of doses in upwards of 10g..

GI side effects are always possible though.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Link to said study?
my bad..done on pigs

Synergistic_effects_of_betaine_and_conjugated_linoleic_acid_on_growth_and_carcass_composition_of_growing_Iberian_pigs

google that..I can't post links yet cuz of post count

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my bad..done on pigs

Synergistic_effects_of_betaine_and_conjugated_linoleic_acid_on_growth_and_carcass_composition_of_growing_Iberian_pigs

google that..I can't post links yet cuz of post count
Thanks. I was hoping it was on horses; I've been doing a lot of research on supplements for horses lately (not to extrapolate to humans, but to use for horses).

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Thanks. I was hoping it was on horses; I've been doing a lot of research on supplements for horses lately (not to extrapolate to humans, but to use for horses).
sorry for my bad memory :)

Dfin0490

Dfin0490

Awards
Do you have to take it everyday to get the maximum effect from it whereas every other day or just on workout days do not get a benefit?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I read the same study. I like betaine at dosages over 5g/day (up to 8-10g so far), but for some reason I think it makes me feel headache-y and kind of run down... not sure why exactly, but it does seem to increase muscle fullness, growth and strength a bit more when you increase the dose.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Actually not in comparison to most other supps. I've been getting betaine powder from bulk supplements on Amazon, like 11 dollars for 250g.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TMG can cause GI upset or diarehea if dosed to high in some individuals so I probablly wouldnt take 8g all at once. Splitting the doses may be a plausible solution.
I accidentally took around 6g of Betaine and got really nauseous and then had some serious GI distress. Was not fun. I add SNS betaine to certain pre workouts and wasn't paying attention and added it to a pre that already had like 3g in it. Won't be making that mistake again.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have to take it everyday to get the maximum effect from it whereas every other day or just on workout days do not get a benefit?
My guess is, possibly. It is a saturation type compound so taking a higher dose every other day could lead to similar results as daily dosages

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I accidentally took around 6g of Betaine and got really nauseous and then had some serious GI distress. Was not fun. I add SNS betaine to certain pre workouts and wasn't paying attention and added it to a pre that already had like 3g in it. Won't be making that mistake again.
It's an osmotic compound, hence the intestinal distress when dosed too high

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a big fan of TMG. If you combine Hemavo2 with our upcoming Finish Line, you get a full 5,000mg/day in total.