Blood flow and elevation

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there any supplements that actually increases blood flow? If there is a supplements that increases blood flow; will it increase blood flow to hands and feet as well? I ask because i have poor circulation to my hands and especially my feet. It doesn't bother me to much other than in winter. Also i am an avid skier. I find it impossible to keep my feet warm when i ski. They get so cold that it becomes painful and i lose movement in my feet as well. This is not because i am dressed improperly but from my poor circulation to my feet. It doesn't help that my ski boots have to be super tight for me to get good performance. I also travel alot to ski and i go to places that have super high elevation at times. This makes my performance terrible because i am not used to be that high up. I have even got elevation sickness a few times.

So my questions are
-are there any supplements that actually increase blood flow?
-If there is anything that does help with blood flow, will it help blood flow to hands and feet?(which should help them stay warm?? Correct?)
-Will it help poor performance/endurance caused by high elevation? Or is there anything that will help with poor performance/endurance caused by high elevation?
-would this(or anything) help prevent elevation sickness?

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
I'd recommend seeing a cardiologist bro

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I already have and everything came back normal. It wasn't for this but all the above was mentioned and he did not seem concerned about any of it. Also all the test and blood work came back normal as well. So on my follow up I specifically ask about these. He replied that this is normal lots of people have low/poor blood flow to hands and feet especially during the winter months. He also said that the poor endurance/performance should be expected with some of the extreme elevations changes I go through(anywhere from 2600 up to 11500+) and is not surprised at all that I have gotten elevation sickness.

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
Well then i have no idea unless there's topical vasodilators

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well then i have no idea unless there's topical vasodilators
I was reading about these topical that is supposed to be for people who have low blood flow to feet and hands caused by diabetes(i dont have diabetes) but it was just arginine and some vitamins and minerals. I dont think that topical arginine would make a difference at all.

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
I meant like topical nitro. Nitro is a powerful vasodilator, but requires a script. At least in most countries, not sure about all countries.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I meant like topical nitro. Nitro is a powerful vasodilator, but requires a script. At least in most countries, not sure about all countries.
Oh i see. I bet that would help but at the moment i don't have insurance(will soon tho) so i dont want to the doctor unless necessary

macwad

Awards
  • Established
According to Layne Norton in his preworkout:

"Cocoa is one of the more reliable supplements on the market for increasing blood flow, even in healthy people.21, 22 Many supplements note an effect in populations with compromised blood flow by using other ingredients, but few show difference in healthy individuals. It also may support insulin sensitivity.23 Although the benefits of cocoa are well known, the mechanism by which the cocoa flavanols work is still being researched.*"

Vlachopoulos C, Aznaouridis K, Alexopoulos N, Economou E, Andreadou I, Stefanadis C Am J Hypertens. Effect of dark chocolate on arterial function in healthy individuals. Am J Hypertension 2005 Jun;18(6):785-91.

Monahan KD, Feehan RP, Kunselman AR, Preston AG, Miller DL, Lott ME. Dose-dependent increases in flow-mediated dilation following acute cocoa ingestion in healthy older adults. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2011 Dec;111(6):1568-74.

He uses:
Cocoa seed powder (std. 6% theobromine [27 mg]) 450 mg

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
According to Layne Norton in his preworkout:

"Cocoa is one of the more reliable supplements on the market for increasing blood flow, even in healthy people.21, 22 Many supplements note an effect in populations with compromised blood flow by using other ingredients, but few show difference in healthy individuals. It also may support insulin sensitivity.23 Although the benefits of cocoa are well known, the mechanism by which the cocoa flavanols work is still being researched.*"

Vlachopoulos C, Aznaouridis K, Alexopoulos N, Economou E, Andreadou I, Stefanadis C Am J Hypertens. Effect of dark chocolate on arterial function in healthy individuals. Am J Hypertension 2005 Jun;18(6):785-91.

Monahan KD, Feehan RP, Kunselman AR, Preston AG, Miller DL, Lott ME. Dose-dependent increases in flow-mediated dilation following acute cocoa ingestion in healthy older adults. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2011 Dec;111(6):1568-74.

He uses:
Cocoa seed powder (std. 6% theobromine [27 mg])450 mg
Thank god you posted the sources with this. I hate when someone quotes a research paper or something and completely leave out the sources said person used to base the research contained in the quote.

SwoleNjacked

Awards
I wonder if it would be more beneficial to take Epicatechin vs. Coca seed powder for blood flow? My boss has diabetes and I thought about suggesting Epi to him.

halljo

halljo

Awards
Is there any supplements that actually increases blood flow? If there is a supplements that increases blood flow; will it increase blood flow to hands and feet as well? I ask because i have poor circulation to my hands and especially my feet. It doesn't bother me to much other than in winter. Also i am an avid skier. I find it impossible to keep my feet warm when i ski. They get so cold that it becomes painful and i lose movement in my feet as well. This is not because i am dressed improperly but from my poor circulation to my feet. It doesn't help that my ski boots have to be super tight for me to get good performance. I also travel alot to ski and i go to places that have super high elevation at times. This makes my performance terrible because i am not used to be that high up. I have even got elevation sickness a few times.

So my questions are
-are there any supplements that actually increase blood flow?
-If there is anything that does help with blood flow, will it help blood flow to hands and feet?(which should help them stay warm?? Correct?)
-Will it help poor performance/endurance caused by high elevation? Or is there anything that will help with poor performance/endurance caused by high elevation?
-would this(or anything) help prevent elevation sickness?
Sounds like you have PADS. You should go to a doctor and have them check for it. PADS does cause some serious issues if not kept in check.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
go for it....dog looks cool. as he/she grows you can rub some T1pro on it to get it in shape...killer dachund

lol

nice pup though, how much it run ya?

h19
I have gone to a cardiologist. I had a plethora of tests and multiple different blood test done on multiple occasions. Everything comes back normal every time.

halljo

halljo

Awards
I have gone to a cardiologist. I had a plethora of tests and multiple different blood test done on multiple occasions. Everything comes back normal every time.
I don't believe there is a test for PADS... I think it's a symptoms based evaluation. Once diagnosed, meds and other stimuli are used to help the issue.