Dog lovers, do you gives you dogs supplements?

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I know this isnt about bodybuilding but I do give all my dogs supplements. Many of you know I take many supplements. I have always given my dogs many of the same things I take myself. I can tell you 100% they work good for pets, the ones Ive tried and researched. After one of my dogs died at 19 from mast cell tumor cancer, I gave my other dog a specific supplement, when I knew she was ready to go to heaven. She lived 2 years after that, from giving her caraway seeds, etc. Those seeds removed 2 of viisble tumors. One was growing around her eye. She lived to be 21 and I never took her to vet. Actually she only needed to go about 5 times to the vet, her whole life. Both of those dogs I started on supplements at around age 10. Curious if you give your dogs supplements.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^lol. I've read about those people that give their dogs protein shakes. haha

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
My wife is a veterinarian and would kill me if I gave our dogs supplements! Haha, so no for me. I'd be careful because certain foods/products/supplements affect canines much differently than humans!

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
My dog administers his "meds" himself.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
My rott lived to be 19. My other dog lived to be 21. I was giving my dog supplements for her kidneys and her kidneys were great when they tested her, right before they removed a mast cell tumor. All her labs were great. Both of them I gave vitamins over half their lives. Dogs don't ever live as long as both mine did.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Both them that were old never appeared to be in pain. Never went deaf, blind or anything and always had a appetite. After my dog died from cancer my other dog went downhill fast. I read up and didn't want the same thing to happen to her. Dog food is filled with crap. In two weeks from caraway seeds, she ate more than both my puppies combined. She never in her whole life ate that much.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Lol loving these pics and comments. I know of people who give their dogs joint supplements once they get old, especially larger breed dogs who are prone to arthritis and stuff. I have a German Shepard mix. I don't give him supplements but I do invest in some high quality food instead of the crap that's sold at grocery stores And Walmart.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We've always ended up giving our dogs glucosamine as they got older because they all started to get joint issues. It helped tremendously in their last years to keep running and active.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
3 weeks ago, My puppy ate 4 of my yohimbine hcl pills. She took them off my table, right before I was going to make my fatburners. So that's about 80mgs of yohimbe. Then she ate one of my fatburners. It scared the **** out of me. I gave her about 1000mgs of cayenne pepper. She was wired after she ate my pills, she was running around my house for 5 hours. Black charcoal and fish oil. Fish oil, flaxseed oil pills, tumeric, niacin, cayenne pepper etc is all safe for dogs.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Glucosamine I never saw any change with when I had another dog with back problems. I wouldn't say to not use it tho. Tumeric is a painkiller for dogs. I gave that to my 21 year old for pain. I give my puppy flaxseed oil pills before bed and she chews less the next day, everytime. If you have a dog that is declining for cancer, caraway seeds are a miracle. Boots had stopped eating, walking and I was going to put her down. I read pet forums and saw a lot about caraway seeds. It did take almost 2 weeks to see the difference. She ate everything, she ate more than double of dog food since, she was walking again, looked alert. Honestly I always had a hard time giving her pills, because she was so smart she would eating everything but the pills, she must have known they were helping because everyday, she was waiting in the kitchen, where I would give her pills. She ate them everytime, and wanted them. I also gave her ginko boloba everyday because she was dizzy all the time. I think she had a stroke and her head was permanetly tilted for months, that went away with supplements. Caraway seeds keep cancer cells from growing and treats them too. When I would miss days of giving boots caraway seeds, for about a week tumors were on her neck and eye, 3 days after the seeds again, they went away and never came back as I kept her on those. All you have to do is put peanut butter in a spoon with pills, they will eat it. If they won't just open their mouth, and put the pills and peanut butter in their mouths. Niacin I gave all my dogs, if they ate something toxic or chewed plastic. It's kinda funny to see them after you give them it. All these things I've used for years, no problems. Black charcoal I used a few times, like with yohimbine. But I wouldn't use it everyday, like all the others. Any brand for people is what I've always used, nothing expensive. Cayenne pepper is good for their heart too.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Glucosamine I never saw any change with when I had another dog with back problems. I wouldn't say to not use it tho. Tumeric is a painkiller for dogs. I gave that to my 21 year old for pain. I give my puppy flaxseed oil pills before bed and she chews less the next day, Everytime. If you have a dog that is declining for cancer, caraway seeds are a miracle. Boots had stopped eating, walking and I was going to put her down. I read pet forums and saw a lot about caraway seeds. It did take almost 2 weeks to see the difference. She ate everything, she ate more than double of dog food since, she was walking again, looked alert. Honestly I always had a hard time giving her pills, because she was so smart she would eating everything but the pills, she must have known they were helping because everyday, she was waiting in the kitchen, where I would get her pills. She ate them Everytime, and wanted them. I also gave her ginko boloba everyday because she was dizzy all the time. I think she had a stroke and her head was permanetly tilted for months, that went away with supplements. Caraway seeds keep cancer cells from growing and treats them too. When I would miss days of giving boots, about a week tumors were on her neck and eye, 3 days after the seeds again, they went away and never came back as I kept her on those. All you have to do is put peanut butter in a spoon with pills, they will eat it. If they won't just open their mouth, and put the pills and peanut butter in their mouths. Niacin I gave all my dogs, if they ate something toxic or chewed plastic. It's kinda funny to see them after you give them it. All these things I've used for years, no problems. Black charcoal I used a few times, like with yohimbine. But I wouldn't use it everyday, like all the others. Any brand for people is what I've always used, nothing expensive. Cayenne pepper is good for their heart too.
Edit: this is actually pretty cool! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16739899

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Salmon oil, and odorless garlic pills. Have to be careful with the garlic though, they can't have too much.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dogs,canines, rats + epicatechin = Massive Size ;)

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
There's actually a rapid growing demand in the companion market for human grade ingredients. Protein bars or powders as an added boost to support the heightened need for nutrition has quickly become popular. While the raw material these manufacturers are using to obtain these higher protein call outs still isn't of the "highest quality", it's leap years from the feed grade that was/is so popular.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Whey is not the answer to boost your dog/cat's diet with though. Large amounts of additives and a milk base is not ideal as it may lead to systemic inflammation causing more harm than good. A meat based, animal protein is the way to go, with very little amounts needed.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Glucosamine I never saw any change with when I had another dog with back problems. I wouldn't say to not use it tho. Tumeric is a painkiller for dogs. I gave that to my 21 year old for pain. I give my puppy flaxseed oil pills before bed and she chews less the next day, Everytime. If you have a dog that is declining for cancer, caraway seeds are a miracle. Boots had stopped eating, walking and I was going to put her down. I read pet forums and saw a lot about caraway seeds. It did take almost 2 weeks to see the difference. She ate everything, she ate more than double of dog food since, she was walking again, looked alert. Honestly I always had a hard time giving her pills, because she was so smart she would eating everything but the pills, she must have known they were helping because everyday, she was waiting in the kitchen, where I would get her pills. She ate them Everytime, and wanted them. I also gave her ginko boloba everyday because she was dizzy all the time. I think she had a stroke and her head was permanetly tilted for months, that went away with supplements. Caraway seeds keep cancer cells from growing and treats them too. When I would miss days of giving boots, about a week tumors were on her neck and eye, 3 days after the seeds again, they went away and never came back as I kept her on those. All you have to do is put peanut butter in a spoon with pills, they will eat it. If they won't just open their mouth, and put the pills and peanut butter in their mouths. Niacin I gave all my dogs, if they ate something toxic or chewed plastic. It's kinda funny to see them after you give them it. All these things I've used for years, no problems. Black charcoal I used a few times, like with yohimbine. But I wouldn't use it everyday, like all the others. Any brand for people is what I've always used, nothing expensive. Cayenne pepper is good for their heart too.
Thanks for posting this, truly. I had never really looked into "supplements for dogs", but I just spent half a day doing so and its blown my mind.

I have a boxer and a pug, both young (<1 year) so this will serve me well in the future :D

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use a grain free food, usually Acana or Orijen. With high quality foods like this, you won't need to supplement much if at all.

The only reason I supplement is for allergies. The garlic pills help the immune system (and cardiovascular system) and the salmon oil helps with his coat, because his allergies can cause him to shed a bit more than usual.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for posting this, truly. I had never really looked into "supplements for dogs", but I just spent half a day doing so and its blown my mind.

I have a boxer and a pug, both young (<1 year) so this will serve me well in the future :D
The thing is, I wouldn't go supplementing unless there is a need in the future. If your dogs (hoping they won't) but if they end up with some sort of illness, I would only introduce certain supplements at that point, or once they start aging.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The thing is, I wouldn't go supplementing unless there is a need in the future. If your dogs (hoping they won't) but if they end up with some sort of illness, I would only introduce certain supplements at that point, or once they start aging.
Im definitely not going to do it for the sake of, but there is a lot of research out there on supplements for dogs

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I give my English bulldog fish oil and glucosamine/chondroitin/Turmeric/hayluronic acid. To help with the heart, joints (hips & knees) and the skin/coat.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I have always given my dogs schizandra fruit pills also. It's for their liver and kidneys. I take it. It totally safe. Watching dogs decline is heartbreaking. I told my vet. After they did her bloodwork he was shocked her kidneys and liver were so good at the age of 18. I said is schizandra making her kidneys and liver good, he said it's definitely something because I haven't seen them that good on a dog her age. I have always fed them grocery store food, btw and they lived that long. The 21 year old I had her on more supplements because the 19 year old dog died before her. Those mast cell tumors are ****ed up, I had the tumor removed, and it grew back in the same spot shortly after. I was only giving her schizandra fruit and fish oil an some cheap dog multivitamins, and flaxseeds oil. With her cancer she never seemed to be in pain until about 3 days before she died.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
My dog has been on a steady diet of M1T for almost 2.5 months now. He's getting huge but balls have become almost non existent. I have debated rubbing him down in Dermacrine.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established

The only thing I would have dont differently with my 19 and 21 year old dog is started them on supplments, from the beginning. Its healthier for them but I also saved a lot in vet bills over the years. It was never about that but quality of life. I do think all dogs die of cancer or kidney and liver problems. They never both had to go the the vet until the one got cancer. I do remember having to take them to the vet a lot before starting them on supplements. So the half before supplement is when they had to go, not after them. I dont think the head tilt on my dog, could have been fixed otherwise, and what the vet gave me didnt work.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a HUGE guinea pig lover. I treat my guinea pigs better than most people treat there kids. They run me around $250 a month in food and supplies lol.. serious. They have like a 8ft X 12ft playpen. They take daily,

50mg Vitamin C
Multi Vitamin
Digestive Enzyme

Yes, these are made specifically for guinea pigs.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
How cute. You can give dogs vitamin c too. I think the multivitamins they make for dogs are crap. So I give them everything I've mentioned daily. Due to the fact I take so much personally, I enjoy giving them to my dogs. Many people I know their dogs only live to be age 12 or younger. I do not want only 12 years with my dogs. I have many pet books on supplements and first aid too. I don't sell any of this stuff, I am just a huge animal lover.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1446200147.071730.jpg
This is what a mast cell tumor looked like on my rott/lab. I had it cut off, the only thing they can do. It grew back in less than 2 weeks. Her name was ginger. She lived to be 19 years. Never do I want to see something even resembling this on any of my pets. Because of schizandra and the stuff I had her on, she never appeared to be in pain. I wish i would have started her sooner on supplements. I loved her so much, I actually felt her die, when I was at work. When I came home, she was dead. So yes I am a strong believer they need supplements. And I would not recommend stuff to you guys, that could harm your pets.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
IMG_6057-1.jpg

IMG_6059-1.jpg

Here's a good general all-purpose supplement that I feed all of my american bulldogs. It's great for joints, immune system, PH levels, skin and coat. Some of my dogs have been prone to getting tear stains, and this completely removed them. Helps with allergies too.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 125776 This is what a mast cell tumor looked like on my rott/lab. I had it cut off, the only thing they can do. It grew back in less than 2 weeks. Her name was ginger. She lived to be 19 years. Never do I want to see something even resembling this on any of my pets. Because of schizandra and the stuff I had her on, she never appeared to be in pain. I wish i would have started her sooner on supplements. I loved her so much, I actually felt her die, when I was at work. When I came home, she dead. So yes I am a strong believer they need supplements. And I would not recommend stuff to you guys, that could harm you pets.
I really feel for you, that is a sad story!!! my sid is around 14 years, not sure as he was a rescue dog...I will cry like a teenage girl when his time comes.

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really feel for you, that is a sad story!!! my sid is around 14 years, not sure as he was a rescue dog...I will cry like a teenage girl when his time comes.
My GF and I had the dalmatian. When he died, I was crying 7 days non stop. Seriously It was so hard

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My GF and I had the dalmatian. When he died, I was crying 7 days non stop. Seriously It was so hard
they truly are our best friends!!!

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1446345102.242616.jpg

Exact print of my boy's paw. Brutus was 2.5 when he died from complications from cancer. Thus my screen name, Brustrong

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
That is really cool. I have the paw print of one of my dogs, that I can't really look at. I miss them all and I the pain never goes away for me.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
View attachment 125776 This is what a mast cell tumor looked like on my rott/lab. I had it cut off, the only thing they can do. It grew back in less than 2 weeks. Her name was ginger. She lived to be 19 years. Never do I want to see something even resembling this on any of my pets. Because of schizandra and the stuff I had her on, she never appeared to be in pain. I wish i would have started her sooner on supplements. I loved her so much, I actually felt her die, when I was at work. When I came home, she dead. So yes I am a strong believer they need supplements. And I would not recommend stuff to you guys, that could harm you pets.
Wow man I'm so sorry to hear :(

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is a very sad story. We had a very large thread here about cancer and possible supplements that could help prevent it. The overall consensus was that you can't prevent genetics from taking it's course though, and that supplements won't prevent cancer. Dogs are also notorious for not showing pain until it's fairly serious.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1446423441.473202.jpg

Here is my princess interrupting my ab workout lol

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
This thread is full of feels. My dog is most definitely my child. I feed him whole foods (human foods) instead of dog food. Chicken, fish, oats, quinoa, olive and coconut oils, eggs, beef, all kinds of green veggies. I do supplement his diet with vitamins, as recommended by my vet. But outside of the multi, he's not on any other supps. He's 11 and still kickin', knock on wood.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This thread is full of feels. My dog is most definitely my child. I feed him whole foods (human foods) instead of dog food. Chicken, fish, oats, quinoa, olive and coconut oils, eggs, beef, all kinds of green veggies. I do supplement his diet with vitamins, as recommended by my vet. But outside of the multi, he's not on any other supps. He's 11 and still kickin', knock on wood.
That's great man. I'm thinking of going to a raw diet for my boy to see if it will help with his allergies. They are all pretty much under control now except for the cysts/growths he gets between his toes. They've become permanent and nothing has really touched them. Pretty big problem with these bulldogs.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
That's great man. I'm thinking of going to a raw diet for my boy to see if it will help with his allergies. They are all pretty much under control now except for the cysts/growths he gets between his toes. They've become permanent and nothing has really touched them. Pretty big problem with these bulldogs.

I've had quite a few friends switch their dogs over to raw foods with lots of success on the allergy front. My dog, anecdotally, has more energy, seems happier, and has more pep in his step ever since I switched him over.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Beverly International Ultra 40 Liver Tabs. My two pitts love them.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I love the dog pics. I like hearing many of you do give your dog supplements. I take my puppy with me to the gym. She had to miss the whole summer because it was too hot even at night.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Why dont you try caraway seeds to see if they remove the growths. You can find them in the spice isle and order online. Put them in a capsule. One of my ex boyfriends was devastated over his mom because sick, in the hospital and could eat or keep anything down. He told me her symptoms. I told him about caraway seeds, he made her tea everyday and she got better. At that time she was in the hospital close to death. She got much better after that and her appetite came back etc.