Is Betaine (TMG) legit?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Betaine has been getting positive attention recently due to a number of studies coming out that shows it improves body composition and athletic performance.

However, a (likely) majority of these studies have been funded by the sugar company Danisco, a subsidiary of DuPont, which stands to benefit if this waste product from the production of sugar is found to have ergogenic benefits.

Here's a DuPont funded study showing betaine has positive effects on body fat and LBM: (Google, ergolog Betaine gives bodybuilders more muscle).

There's another Italian study not funded by DuPont showing betaine increasing IGF-1 receptors in muscle cells in vitro.

Anyway, my question to you guys who have taken betaine is, what did you notice? I have been taking it for about 3 weeks but I am also taking several other compounds at the same time which is making it difficult to distinguish what is having what effect.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It is legit..it can be found in Ergonine, a definite forum favorite.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
It's legit.
The author of a research paper on it @zir_red is an old AM member too.

We had lots of in depth discussion on it and you can search for the threads for a lot of insight.

Long story short though it is great. It is even synergistic with creatine as a potent methyl donor. These studies are cited on the Ergonine write up at Athletixsports.com

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It's legit.
The author of a research paper on it @zir_red is an old AM member too.

We had lots of in depth discussion on it and you can search for the threads for a lot of insight.

Long story short though it is great. It is even synergistic with creatine as a potent methyl donor. These studies are cited on the Ergonine write up at Athletixsports.com
I miss Jason. He's a great guy, was/is extremely knowledgeable. It would be nice to see him posting on here again.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I miss Jason. He's a great guy, was/is extremely knowledgeable. It would be nice to see him posting on here again.
Absolutely would be.
Not sure if anyone on the board still has contact with him.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Examine:

When looking at the human evidence at this moment in time, it appears that betaine is very effective and reliable in reducing homocysteine concentrations when taken at 3g daily or more. The reduction occurs within a single dose and maintains a reduction for as long as supplementation is continues; the magnitude being around 10% in persons with normal homocysteine levels and 20-40% in persons with elevated homocysteine levels.

Homocysteine is known to be elevated in persons with cardiovascular health issues and is a biomarker of cardiovascular complications (ie. when homocysteine is elevated then the subject is also at a higher risk for problems), but homocysteine is known to both be merely an indicator for problems (a biomarker) as well as possibly having a causative role. It is thought that reducing homocysteine is protective of the heart, but a direct link between betaine supplementation and cardiovascular protection in humans has not yet been established.

Elsewhere, although the evidence is a bit confusing at this time (preliminary evidence showing amazing promise and the one controlled study failing to replicate it, but more research being needed to confirm) TMG may have a role in treating fatty liver and actually improving the fibrotic state of the liver when taken at very high (20g) dosages daily.

In regards to health, at this moment in time most promise appears to be related to cardioprotection or the liver. In theory TMG should be highly protective, but the studies directly evaluating a link between TMG supplementation and improved health biomarkers do not yet exist

Finally, TMG appears to be recommended as a performance enhancing compound with quite unreliable benefits. TMG, when 1.25g is taken twice daily, has at times been linked to increased power output (only to fail in other instances) and minor increases in workout volume and endurance (a bit more reliable than power output, but still not a consensus). The overall effect size or how much it benefits the subject seen to be quite small, and at this moment in time all studies finding benefit with TMG supplementation have been associated with Danisco (DuPont Nutrition) a producer of TMG.

The benefit of TMG to physical exercise, even if assumed to be present, may have little to no practical relevance since:

Serum TMG is increased to a similar degree with 1g TMG as it is with 1g of Choline supplementation, and the latter may have some centrally acting (brain related) benefits to working out while possibly being cheaper

The theory that fits most with the observed benefits to physical performance (the osmolyte actions protecting a cell) is a mechanism not only able to be repeated with choline as mentioned earlier, but is a mechanism of action of Creatine; the lone study to evaluate the combination failed to find an additive effect of TMG on creatine's benefits
I wouldn't pay a lot of money for it. Can't give you anecdotal, acute performance opinions... I've never taken only ONE supplement, ever :)

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
while sometimes studies might seem a bit biased because of the funders, they can still be legit. Betaine is like creatine IMO cheap and worth it to use

deuceswild72

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I have been taking it for about a month and have seen some improvement in strength.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
doesnt it delay lactic acid build up? or am i thinking of beta alinine

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
doesnt it delay lactic acid build up? or am i thinking of beta alinine
More so BA for that, but TMG has studied benefits both in and out of the gym, and is inexpensive. It's a staple for many.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
One of its biggest features is that it is a very potent methyl donor. This means it will also help your body do things like synthesize more creatine. Hence the synergistic combo used in Ergonine and some other products.

The cheapest form is the only form ;) TMG or Betaine Anhydrous.

Do not buy betaine hcl. Not the same.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I get nothing from it or from creatine or from both. So I look at it as a cheaper methyl-donor than methyl-B12.

It is successfully used as an appetite/palatability enhancer in fish and is therefore often included in bait. That makes it legit to me :D

Islander73

Awards
I've used it before for quite an extended time. Didn't notice any benefit performance wise.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely legit. We have it in our White Rapids and Purple Wraath.