Tomatidine

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Anyone ever hear of this? Seems quite new. Here's what the article says. Apparently there are Harvard studies showing similar effects

IOWA CITY, Iowa, April 11 (UPI) -- Tomatidine, a compound found in green tomatoes, not only boosts muscle growth and strength, it protects against muscle wasting caused by illness, injury or aging.

Dr. Christopher Adams of the University of Iowa said muscle atrophy, or muscle wasting, caused by aging, injury, cancer and heart failure makes people weak and fatigued, prohibits physical activity and predisposes people to falls and fractures.

Muscle atrophy affects more 50 million Americans annually, including 30 million elderly.

Muscle atrophy causes many problems for patients, their families, and the healthcare system in general -- exercise helps, but it's not enough and not possible those who are ill or injured, Adams said.

Using the systems biology tool the Connectivity Map, the research team identified tomatidine and discovered it stimulated growth of cultured human muscle cells.

The research team found healthy mice given supplements containing tomatidine grew bigger muscles, became stronger and exercised longer, but the mice did not gain body weight.

"Green tomatoes are safe to eat in moderation. But we don't know how many green tomatoes a person would need to eat to get a dose of tomatidine similar to what we gave the mice," Adams said in a statement. "We also don't know if such a dose of tomatidine will be safe for people, or if it will have the same effect in people as it does in mice."
The findings were published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone ever hear of this? Seems quite new. Here's what the article says. Apparently there are Harvard studies showing similar effects

IOWA CITY, Iowa, April 11 (UPI) -- Tomatidine, a compound found in green tomatoes, not only boosts muscle growth and strength, it protects against muscle wasting caused by illness, injury or aging.

Dr. Christopher Adams of the University of Iowa said muscle atrophy, or muscle wasting, caused by aging, injury, cancer and heart failure makes people weak and fatigued, prohibits physical activity and predisposes people to falls and fractures.

Muscle atrophy affects more 50 million Americans annually, including 30 million elderly.

Muscle atrophy causes many problems for patients, their families, and the healthcare system in general -- exercise helps, but it's not enough and not possible those who are ill or injured, Adams said.

Using the systems biology tool the Connectivity Map, the research team identified tomatidine and discovered it stimulated growth of cultured human muscle cells.

The research team found healthy mice given supplements containing tomatidine grew bigger muscles, became stronger and exercised longer, but the mice did not gain body weight.

"Green tomatoes are safe to eat in moderation. But we don't know how many green tomatoes a person would need to eat to get a dose of tomatidine similar to what we gave the mice," Adams said in a statement. "We also don't know if such a dose of tomatidine will be safe for people, or if it will have the same effect in people as it does in mice."
The findings were published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
It seems interesting tbh.
Since early 2000 i have heard of green tomato extract (for size and strength).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24719321

cubs1987

cubs1987

Awards
  • Established
interesting... wonder what would be the appropriate dose/extract

Warthog13

Awards
You say tomatidine, I say tomatidine...
...Let's call the whole thing off.

(Doesn't really work written out, does it?)

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You need to stop that comment because you will write a completely coherent, long post and then apologize for your english.
Well thank you for the kind words but seriously, it would be lie if I said I understand this :

"You say tomatidine, I say tomatidine...

(Doesn't really work written out, does it?)"

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol, gotcha. Just a line from a song in an old movie called Shall We Dance. The saying tomato tomahto, potato potahto is sometimes used when comparing essentially the same thing.

baldymcgee

baldymcgee

Awards
  • Established
I seem to recall a supp at GNC called Endothil or something like that, contained green tomato extract. Never used it, but recall it was looked down on as a joke product

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol, gotcha. Just a line from a song in an old movie called Shall We Dance. The saying tomato tomahto, potato potahto is sometimes used when comparing essentially the same thing.
Aaah lol i was questioning my self, is this kind of poetry :D

Warthog13

Awards
Well thank you for the kind words but seriously, it would be lie if I said I understand this :

"You say tomatidine, I say tomatidine...

(Doesn't really work written out, does it?)"
Sorry about that...it's one of those silly thoughts that come to mind.

As kisaj responded, it's a reference to a song from a popular musical. The lyrics are sung "to-may-to" and "to-mah-to"...which is why writing "tomato" and "tomato" doesn't fully convey the lyrical meaning when written out. I hope that explains it.

No need to apologize at all.
Here's a YouTube link if you're curious!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry about that...it's one of those silly thoughts that come to mind.

As kisaj responded, it's a reference to a song from a popular musical. The lyrics are sung "to-may-to" and "to-mah-to"...which is why writing "tomato" and "tomato" doesn't fully convey the lyrical meaning when written out. I hope that explains it.

No need to apologize at all.
Here's a YouTube link if you're curious!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls
No need to say sorry at all :)
Thanks to kisaj and you for explaining this to me :) much appreciated.
Lol fancy stuff

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
I seem to recall a supp at GNC called Endothil or something like that, contained green tomato extract. Never used it, but recall it was looked down on as a joke product
Yep, it was widely ridiculed. I do recall something about GTE containing nicotine OE something, hence it would help you cut...sorta.. Or I'm old and I totally have that wrong lol

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was trying to think of that...I knew I remembered something with green tomato extract, lol.