Help for a newbie? Introduction and here's what I'm doing so far...

booksbooks

Awards
First, let me say that I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I'm new, so I'm probably going to screw something up.

I just started lifting last July for the first time in my life. I'm 32, 6'2" and started last summer at 164#. After gaining SOME weight and strength in my first 6 months and stalling around 178#, I decided to start taking thinking more seriously. I started following Renaissance Periodization for my macro breakdown and meal planning, bumped my calorie intake from about 3K calories to 3800 on rest days and 4400 on training days. I'm now up to 195 (+31# of pretty lean muscle mass).

Here's what I'm doing supplementation as of today:

- SFH Pure Protein for my protein drinks;
- SFH Fish Oils;
- Universal Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate
- ON ZMA;
- Beta Ecdysterone (just started);
- Non-GMO Sunflower Lecithin (for the Phosphatidic Acid);
- NOW Foods Dextrose;
- EP1C Unleashed by OL;
- BCAAs (Bulk Supp);
- Quercetin Dihydrate (Bulk Supp);

Any recommendations?

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
What are your goals? And I'd drop the dextrose and replace it with real food (same results, but so much more enjoyable)

booksbooks

Awards
What are your goals? And I'd drop the dextrose and replace it with real food (same results, but so much more enjoyable)
The dextrose isn't that bad. I do it for intra and post workout in my protein drink. Can barely tell it's there. I just have a hard time eating real food and not feeling it coming back up when I'm squatting or deadlifting heavy. Heck, even on some of the Oly lifts.

But to speak to your question, my main goal is to get stronger. My numbers aren't amazing by any standard, but I've come a LONG way over the past 13 months. I just want to keep steady with that progression. I know that if I'm eating right (I eat 95%+ non-processed whole foods to get to my 4K+ calories) and putting in the work to get stronger, the weight will be where it needs to be. But if I'm putting an actual number on my weight, I'd like to make a run at getting to 210#.

That make sense?

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
The dextrose isn't that bad. I do it for intra and post workout in my protein drink. Can barely tell it's there. I just have a hard time eating real food and not feeling it coming back up when I'm squatting or deadlifting heavy. Heck, even on some of the Oly lifts.

But to speak to your question, my main goal is to get stronger. My numbers aren't amazing by any standard, but I've come a LONG way over the past 13 months. I just want to keep steady with that progression. I know that if I'm eating right (I eat 95%+ non-processed whole foods to get to my 4K+ calories) and putting in the work to get stronger, the weight will be where it needs to be. But if I'm putting an actual number on my weight, I'd like to make a run at getting to 210#.

That make sense?
Makes sense. You sound like you're off to a good start, minus the dextrose (just bustin balls). The way to push the scale is through food and hard work. But you seem to have that covered. Keep at it. What type of lifting program and you on? I noticed the inclusion of squats, deadlifts, and Oly lifts...music to my ears. Keep pounding those big compound movements and keep adding weight to the bar. The lean mass will follow.

Basically, if you want to stay natty, aside from food, your big three are going to be ArA, PA, and (-)epi. Good call with the Epic Unleashed. I use it (2 caps pwo) and find nice increases in endurance and recovery. ArA will help you put on size. I've never used PA, but hear good things about it.

Finally, utilize this community. There is a wealth of knowledge here. I am just the tip of the iceberg. Keep searching (yes, the search feature is your friend!) and asking questions and you'll get all the answers you want brother! Welcome!

Last edited:

booksbooks

Awards
Thanks, that's good reassurance and info. What ArA do you prefer? On my programming, to be honest, I've done a mix and kinda made my own by combining different programs.

I used Scientific Principles of Strength Training by the JTS guys and formulated my own strength scheme. I used Triphasic Training by Cal Dietz for speed and explosion. Just added in some of his principles with my assistance and light load days. And I take some of the HIIT stuff from Invictus' competition training program. Any given day involves some different body weight stuff, kettlebell work, a small component to get the heart going pretty good and then strength work (cleans, jerks, deadlifts, snatch, squats of all kinds). My next strength cycle goes back to bench, which I probably don't do enough of. I know, I know.

Thanks again.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
That is some seriously impressive progress if it was natural brother pat yourself on the back

Are you using all your staples?

I ask because they are exactly what should be used for your goals and get the best results.

Look into Athletix Ergonine to get 9 in one scoop/day

For strength and hypertrophy, proper doses of creatine anhydrous, TMG, Ferulic Acid.
All 9 improve performance and many assist in your recovery as well.

Check our write up at athletixsports.com and save 10% with "driven"
On top of our 0.99 same day shipping

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
That is some seriously impressive progress if it was natural brother pat yourself on the back

I ask because they are exactly what should be used for your goals and get the best results.

For strength and hypertrophy, proper doses of creatine anhydrous, TMG, Ferulic Acid.

Ah, yes, I did leave out the staples! Haha, and I literally ordered an E9/Amentomax stack this morning! For ArA I like SNS X-Gels. I take 1.5g pwo on workout days only. Take for 50 workouts.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Ah, yes, I did leave out the staples! Haha, and I literally ordered an E9/Amentomax stack this morning! For ArA I like SNS X-Gels. I take 1.5g pwo on workout days only. Take for 50 workouts.
Solid stack idea there!
Ergonine has synergy with ARA as well, with the studied dose of LCLT included

booksbooks

Awards

When you say, "Are you using all your staples?" what exactly do you mean? I forgot to include that I take in 5g of micronized creatine monohydrate every day. I went back just now and edited it. Is that what you mean by a staple?

booksbooks

Awards
But yeah, all 100% natural. Just real food (lots of it), mostly protein supplementation and creatine up until the last month, and 5 hard/heavy days in the gym. I'll sometimes do a 6th moderate/light day with some mobility and accessory work.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
When you say, "Are you using all your staples?" what exactly do you mean? I forgot to include that I take in 5g of micronized creatine monohydrate every day. I went back just now and edited it. Is that what you mean by a staple?
Creatine is definitely a staple.

Just a term we use for the supplements that are more or less universally taken by supplementers.

Ergonine has 8 ingredients not yet in your stack and I think our product page is worth a read for you.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'd just keep doing what you are doing. You are following some solid nutrition and training and have obviously seen some great progress in that time, just stick with it. :D

booksbooks

Awards
I'd just keep doing what you are doing. You are following some solid nutrition and training and have obviously seen some great progress in that time, just stick with it. :D
Thanks for the reassurance. It's easy to let that nagging, "I wonder if there's something more that I'm not doing out of ignorance" voice in the back of your head get to you sometimes when you hit a plateau or a stretch of days where you don't see progress. Can't see the forest for the trees, kind of thing.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ya you should just be happy you found those great resources right away and didn't spend time doing useless crap to start your journey. :lol:

Your supplementation is pretty solid for the most part and I don't really think you need to think about changing too much there for how effective things seem to have gone for you so far. :thumbsup: