Cancer Prevention Supplements

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Other than a healthy diet and exercise, any supplements that you guys take that also aids in cancer prevention? I read that melatonin can reduce cancer. any others?

bleb

bleb

Awards
Other than a healthy diet and exercise, any supplements that you guys take that also aids in cancer prevention? I read that melatonin can reduce cancer. any others?
Vitamin e, selenium, iodine, b-vitamins, zinc, vitamin d.

Just to name a few.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
On mobile and its late, but I have found some flavones with a lot of promise and they are being looked at specifically for cancer prevention and treatment.

Remind me tomorrow and when I'm at my PC I'll pull up my research.

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best thing by far is amygdalin naturally occuring in the semen of a lot of fruits

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Best thing by far is amygdalin naturally occuring in the semen of a lot of fruits
From old mate wikkipedia

"Since the early 1950s, both amygdalin and a modified form named laetrile or Vitamin B17 have been promoted as cancer cures. However, neither of these compounds nor any other derivatives were ever vitamins in any sense,[4] and studies have found them to be clinically ineffective in the treatment of cancer, as well as dangerously toxic. They are potentially lethal when taken by mouth, because certain enzymes (in particular, glucosidases that occur in the gut and in various kinds of seeds, edible or inedible) act on them to produce cyanide.[5][6][7][8][9] The risk–benefit balance of amygdalin as a treatment for cancer weighed against its potential to cause cyanide poisoning is unambiguously negative.[10]"

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I3C or DIM (depending on who you ask, between the two), and IP6 (Inisitol Hexaphosphate). The first is obviously Broccoli and its brothers, the second is from grains. Natural or pills, take your pick.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep i've heard of tumeric and amygdalin before. There's tons of supplements if you google it. Also a good multi vitamin can't hurt.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very interested in this topic.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Indole-3-Carbinol and bioavailable curcumin seem promising.
To add to this list, sufficient vitamin D levels as well.

I know we're in the supplement section, but I'll say the obvious: regular consumption of a diverse group of veggies is a smart idea.

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From old mate wikkipedia

"Since the early 1950s, both amygdalin and a modified form named laetrile or Vitamin B17 have been promoted as cancer cures. However, neither of these compounds nor any other derivatives were ever vitamins in any sense,[4] and studies have found them to be clinically ineffective in the treatment of cancer, as well as dangerously toxic. They are potentially lethal when taken by mouth, because certain enzymes (in particular, glucosidases that occur in the gut and in various kinds of seeds, edible or inedible) act on them to produce cyanide.[5][6][7][8][9] The risk–benefit balance of amygdalin as a treatment for cancer weighed against its potential to cause cyanide poisoning is unambiguously negative.[10]"
Mate dont make the mistake to believe everything you read on wikipedia without doing your own research. There are certain interests behind this opinion on amygdalin you posted here.It cannot be patented and therefore the big pharma does everything to make US believe it is ineffective and even dangerous.Its the same with many other things e.g. vaccinations or flouridation.

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I keep taking it on a regular basis whatever you or others might post here

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
Runs in my family, my grandpa and mom have had cancer! Very interested in this!

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I keep taking it on a regular basis whatever you or others might post here
Each to their own, that is actually the first time i heard of the compound and that was the first result from my 2 second google.

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Each to their own, that is actually the first time i heard of the compound and that was the first result from my 2 second google.
No prob mate when i find the time ill post some other links to get a better understanding on this compound.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Am I unaware? They are marketed as supplements to help prevent a lot of different things. Surely all of these would be in a multi, a multi never hurt anybody.
Too much vit e and selenium is actually linked to cancer, supplementing iodine is linked to hypothyroidism, and taking vit D if you're not deficient at extreme levels is also poor for your health. None of these are "preventing" cancer.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Do you even have to worry about cancer if it's not in your family history?.
Oh yes. It's the #1 cause of death. Family history is only one factor.

Am I unaware? They are marketed as supplements to help prevent a lot of different things. Surely all of these would be in a multi, a multi never hurt anybody.
Think again my friend. Most of these crap multis on the market actually hurt you. Vitamin E has d alpha tocopheryl (without the other tocos) is associated with increased risk of colon cancer. B vitamins and zinc have no effect on cancer.

Iodine is more likely to hurt you by inducing hypothyroidism than to help you.

What do you recommend mr.cooper69?
I3C, curcumin, CoQ10, garlic

bleb

bleb

Awards
Too much vit e and selenium is actually linked to cancer, supplementing iodine is linked to hypothyroidism, and taking vit D if you're not deficient at extreme levels is also poor for your health. None of these are "preventing" cancer.
Ok.

bleb

bleb

Awards
Oh yes. It's the #1 cause of death. Family history is only one factor.

Think again my friend. Most of these crap multis on the market actually hurt you. Vitamin E has d alpha tocopheryl (without the other tocos) is associated with increased risk of colon cancer. B vitamins and zinc have no effect on cancer.

I3C, curcumin, CoQ10, garlic
Taking a multi and the supps I listed have done nothing but improve my quality of life. I

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Taking a multi and the supps I listed have done nothing but improve my quality of life. I
Ok, that's great. Looks like you were deficient. To make a generalization that this would apply to:

1. All multis (most of them SUCK, seriously)
2. All people

Is crazy. And unless you have a really bad diet and truly were deficient, most multis won't make you feel a thing. It's amazing how many people come in to clinics and say they started taking a multi and throughout that first day they already had new energy. Sorry, but it's placebo (I'm sure you'll argue with me, but it is).

There's probably only 3 multis that I'd take daily, and I doubt you're taking any of them due to price. A good multi is very, very valuable, but unfortunately they just don't exist because 99.9999% of people don't understand the differences between multis besides just doses.

I may make that my next coop's corner. Doses are one part, but vitamin and mineral interactions, forms, delivery (caps vs tabs), and ancillaries are far more important

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, that's great. Looks like you were deficient. To make a generalization that this would apply to:

2. All people

Is crazy. And unless you have a really bad diet and truly were deficient, most multis won't make you feel a thing. It's amazing how many people come in to clinics and say they started taking a multi and throughout that first day they already had new energy. Sorry, but it's placebo (I'm sure you'll argue with me, but it is).
I know this is probably a weird time to ask about this, but do you still consider AOR orthocore/multi basics the top multi? Haha. I do have a sub-par diet at times and feel the need to take a multi (at times)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I know this is probably a weird time to ask about this, but do you still consider AOR orthocore/multi basics the top multi? Haha. I do have a sub-par diet at times and feel the need to take a multi (at times)
I think most people are at suboptimal levels of vitamin and mineral intake (not deficient, but they could be better).

Orthocore is still my favorite. OT is a better deal, but the fact tat orthocore accounts for competing vitamins/transporters by adjusting doses puts it in a different league. And plus it's capped

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think most people are at suboptimal levels of vitamin and mineral intake (not deficient, but they could be better).

Orthocore is still my favorite. OT is a better deal, but the fact tat orthocore accounts for competing vitamins/transporters by adjusting doses puts it in a different league. And plus it's capped
I'm guessing Multi Basics 3 is good too then, because it's supposed to be Orthocore with slightly less stuff?

storm 011

storm 011

Awards
  • Established

2. All people

There's probably only 3 multis that I'd take daily, and I doubt you're taking any of them due to price. A good multi is very, very valuable, but unfortunately they just don't exist because 99.9999% of people don't understand the differences between multis besides just doses.

I may make that my next coop's corner. Doses are one part, but vitamin and mineral interactions, forms, delivery (caps vs tabs), and ancillaries are far more important

which you multivitamin you recommend?
I'm not a chemist, but until now, after trying to compare many quality multivitamin, I think one of the best multivitamin might be the LifeExtension .. or at least I think ....

yiaosen

Awards
this would be very much appreciated mr.cooper, because there is no way in hell a layperson like me could simply read up a little and expect to make an informed decision based on that.

i see you mentioned AORs orthocore as a good multi. on some other forums i noticed people tend to mention holistic healths 'all in one' and seeking healths 'optimal multivitamin' a lot as good options besides orthocore, may i ask your opinion on those products? it may be asking too much of your time, but if you could write up a rough idea of why you think these are good or bad formulations would probably be of tremendous value for some of us.

when you say that a good multi is very valuable, do you mean as a staple to take everyday or just as corrective measures after bloodwork?

and for the anti-cancer supplements you listed, do you think the most basic ones will do or would you value something like daily allicillin over just eating garlic, meriva/longvida over using turmeric to spice up a meal every couple days?

btw, thank you for taking the time to post on this forum. seriously. i searched for and read through some of your postings on this board over the last weeks and i feel like you helped me out a ton on things i did not even know i wanted to know.
therefore, i just want you to know that what you are doing is much appreciated, and i would assume that for every person posting there are probably dozens of lurkers like me that usually don't take part in the discussions. even if half the feedback you seem to get is from company reps being stupid, i hope you do realize there are many more people whose lives are improved by how generously you apparently spend your free time, even if they dont ever take time to contact and thank you.

bleb

bleb

Awards

2. All people

Sure. What do you recommend then? I was taking an intensive care multi from Metagenics after a bout with mono, I've also used colloidal minerals.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
which you multivitamin you recommend?
I'm not a chemist, but until now, after trying to compare many quality multivitamin, I think one of the best multivitamin might be the LifeExtension .. or at least I think ....
this would be very much appreciated mr.cooper, because there is no way in hell a layperson like me could simply read up a little and expect to make an informed decision based on that.

i see you mentioned AORs orthocore as a good multi. on some other forums i noticed people tend to mention holistic healths 'all in one' and seeking healths 'optimal multivitamin' a lot as good options besides orthocore, may i ask your opinion on those products? it may be asking too much of your time, but if you could write up a rough idea of why you think these are good or bad formulations would probably be of tremendous value for some of us.

when you say that a good multi is very valuable, do you mean as a staple to take everyday or just as corrective measures after bloodwork?

and for the anti-cancer supplements you listed, do you think the most basic ones will do or would you value something like daily allicillin over just eating garlic, meriva/longvida over using turmeric to spice up a meal every couple days?

btw, thank you for taking the time to post on this forum. seriously. i searched for and read through some of your postings on this board over the last weeks and i feel like you helped me out a ton on things i did not even know i wanted to know.
therefore, i just want you to know that what you are doing is much appreciated, and i would assume that for every person posting there are probably dozens of lurkers like me that usually don't take part in the discussions. even if half the feedback you seem to get is from company reps being stupid, i hope you do realize there are many more people whose lives are improved by how generously you apparently spend your free time, even if they dont ever take time to contact and thank you.
Sure. What do you recommend then? I was taking an intensive care multi from Metagenics after a bout with mono, I've also used colloidal minerals.
So as a brief comparison, life extension two-per-day tabs has a slight advantage. Why?

Multigenics vit D dose is too low, dose of vitamin E is too high, form(s) of niacin are less than ideal, combined calcium + mag dose is too high (mag absorption will be blocked), there's iron (which is never really beneficial for males...hazardous, in fact), low zinc dose, low copper dose, and the add-ons are fairly useless due to being drastically underdosed.

LEF is better, but still has only one form of vit E (vs. the 8 total), suboptimal niacin forms, terrible magnesium form, and is lacking trace minerals like copper/vanadium. The add-ons, while pretty, are again underdosed.

The problem right now is I have a tough time recommending a good multi, because they all tend to have flaws one way or another. I take orthocore when I take a multi, but the cost precludes daily use. I'll definitely do a little writeup, but the bottom line here is:

More is not better, when it comes to doses.
Forms matter.
If you're gonna use add-ons, dose them properly.
There are no good "sports" multis besides orange triad and anavite...that is, multivitamins that seek to replete vits/mins lost to intense activity, plus ancillaries that address actual sports needs at proper doses

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I vaguely remember a company that made multi-vitamins specifically for each individual customer based on that customers blood work. It was insanely expensive though. Anyone heard of that?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I vaguely remember a company that made multi-vitamins specifically for each individual customer based on that customers blood work. It was insanely expensive though. Anyone heard of that?
Sounds silly. Most standard bloodwork panels won't test for all the vitamins and minerals. You may see vitamin D but that's really it

storm 011

storm 011

Awards
  • Established
So as a brief comparison, life extension two-per-day tabs has a slight advantage. Why?

Multigenics vit D dose is too low, dose of vitamin E is too high, form(s) of niacin are less than ideal, combined calcium + mag dose is too high (mag absorption will be blocked), there's iron (which is never really beneficial for males...hazardous, in fact), low zinc dose, low copper dose, and the add-ons are fairly useless due to being drastically underdosed.

LEF is better, but still has only one form of vit E (vs. the 8 total), suboptimal niacin forms, terrible magnesium form, and is lacking trace minerals like copper/vanadium. The add-ons, while pretty, are again underdosed.

The problem right now is I have a tough time recommending a good multi, because they all tend to have flaws one way or another. I take orthocore when I take a multi, but the cost precludes daily use. I'll definitely do a little writeup, but the bottom line here is:

Forms matter.
There are no good "sports" multis besides orange triad and anavite...that is, multivitamins that seek to replete vits/mins lost to intense activity, plus ancillaries that address actual sports needs at proper doses
I have also Anavite, but i no like its beta-alanine effect.

bleb

bleb

Awards

Forms matter.
This is great to know, thank you!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I have also Anavite, but i no like its beta-alanine effect.
Are you dosing 3 tablets twice a day, or all 6 at once? The tingles from the BA shouldn't be too bad. Could do 2 pills 3x/day.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, I don't know if this is valid, but I figure I'd throw this out there. Weren't there some studies that stated that Boswellia as anti-cancer? (I know it's usually for joint pain and stuff)

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Oh, I don't know if this is valid, but I figure I'd throw this out there. Weren't there some studies that stated that Boswellia as anti-cancer? (I know it's usually for joint pain and stuff)
Just off the top of my head, I know it showed promise as an anti-inflammatory, so that potential correlation is there.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just off the top of my head, I know it showed promise as an anti-inflammatory, so that potential correlation is there.
Oh, here we go.

Remarkably, Boswellia appears to be quite anti-cancer that appears to be more anti-proliferative rather than apoptotic (the latter meaning to induce regulated cell death) since it is a potent inhibitor of angiogenesis and cell invasiveness. There are not a large battery of studies on these claims, but preliminary mouse and rat evidence where the rodents are injected with tumors suggest that Boswellia can potently suppress tumor growth (Pancreatic, Colorectal) and in some cases actually outright prevent tumor growth (Prostatic, Glioma). Boswellia appears to be a very promising anti-cancer herb due to the potency it exhibits in animals, with one study noting this after oral administration (100mg/kg of the main boswellic acid in animals). The potency has been replicated in other cancer cell lines in vitro (including breast, cervical, myeloma and leukemia) but these cancers do not yet have animal interventions yet.
I really, really, really, really want more studies done on this compound and Pancreatic cancer; a 50% reduction in tumor size following oral ingestion of 100mg/kg in mice AKBA is bloody remarkable. The abolishment of prostatic tumors and gliomas are also incredible, and I honestly had to review this page numerous times to make sure I was not making an error in transcribing the information. Preliminary evidence actually denotes that Boswellia's AKBA can abolish some (but not all) tumors and their proliferation in rodents.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Taking adequate amounts fish oils daily was reported to reduce the risk of skin cancer by 23% I believe.

If there is truth to this there is just one more reason you should be taking fish oils.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not these...
I'm curious as to why not? Iodine is the first thing prescribed to prevent thyroid cancer in people who suffer exposure to radioactivity.

Vitamin E (mainly the tocopherols) is also highly recommended.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I'm curious as to why not? Iodine is the first thing prescribed to prevent thyroid cancer in people who suffer exposure to radioactivity.

Vitamin E (mainly the tocopherols) is also highly recommended.
He was saying the excess amounts can be toxic or illness causing!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't you mean hyperthyroidism? And do you have studies? I'm curious about this one.

Just a general suggestion to everyone in this thread: All of the suggestions in this thread are actually kind of baseless without studies. And if we're talking about something as serious as cancer, people shouldn't be making claims in here without studies. Definitely not a time for bro-science.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've recently started a number of new supplements on an ongoing basis, for overall general health. Most of them are for cardio-protective purposes, but it's interesting to see how some of them are (supposedly) great for cancer prevention too.

Here's my list of new general-wellness staples I've added to my daily supplements:

Lycopene (Jarrow's Lyco-Sorb - for prostate and heart)
Tocotrienol / Tocopherol (Jarrow's Toco-Sorb)
Ubiquinol (the QH- version, VERY superior to plain old CoQ10)
Astaxanthin (protects the skin and eyes, good at protecting from sun exposure)
Grape Seed Extract (OPCs+95 version)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Before we get into the 'Iodine = Strychnine' discussion :), this is what I thought was a pretty balanced run down on Iodine:

h t t p : / / suppversity.blogspot.com/2015/07/too-much-of-good-thing-iodine-1-mgday.html

I tend to disagree with him that the 'average diet' supplies enough though - tell me where, if not a lot of seafood? It ain't in milk or bread (they actually switched to Bromine!) anymore and it sub-lime's out of table salt mucho quick (and pre-packaged/restaurants don't use iodized).

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Before we get into the 'Iodine = Strychnine' discussion :), this is what I thought was a pretty balanced run down on Iodine:

h t t p : / / suppversity.blogspot.com/2015/07/too-much-of-good-thing-iodine-1-mgday.html

I tend to disagree with him that the 'average diet' supplies enough though - tell me where, if not a lot of seafood? It ain't in milk or bread (they actually switched to Bromine!) anymore and it sub-lime's out of table salt mucho quick (and pre-packaged/restaurants don't use iodized).
I agree, this is exactly why I supplement with Iodoral from time to time. I also get hormonal labs quite frequently though (thyroid, test/estro levels, etc). Most people should, especially when supplementing with these things. I wouldn't just blindly supplement with these types of things and not get labs done at least once in a while.