Are most fitness models on some type of steroid?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Just wondering what your opinions are on this subject. The guys you see in magazines, have most of them juiced?

This is not a trolling thread. Just wondering if its possible to get shredded like they are naturally.

It can make you feel a little discouraged when it comes to bodybuilding. So I want to know if its a dream thinking I can get like them naturally. Perfectly round full pecs, 8 packs, and a 30 inch waist while you wear a XXL Shirt due to having so much muscle. Is this even possible? Please tell me. I see infomercials for bodybeast and they claim you can get like that in 90 days. I feel like Im doing something wrong. All these guys with great bodies saying how they got like that with bodybeast or whatever.

And if it is possible, how long is the norm to get like that if you have the body that allows it?

Nyrin

Awards
There are certainly limits to what's realistically attainable in a "natural" state, but you can get pretty far with just very tightly-monitored diet and training. Genetics are going to be a factor, but rarely prove to the be the limiting factor in an individual.

It takes many years to achieve the kinds of physiques you're talking about; anything giving you absurd timeframes like 90 days are guaranteed to be trying to sell you something ridiculous. It takes huge amounts of hard work, dedication, and perseverance, even with steroids, to get the statuesque-style physiques that litter the covers of things.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that what you're seeing, especially in static imagery like magazines, is not representative of what even those models "really" look like. Perfect lighting, arcane food cycling timed to the day of the shoot, photo retouching, and all sorts of other "tricks" are involved. Nobody looks like a fitness model's "best" even a substantial portion of the time. What you see represents the pinnacle of what's ephemerally obtainable.

Now, to the question of "is he juicing?", that's going to be enormously contentious but has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. There are clearly plenty of guys who are not even remotely "natty" and there are no questions about it -- nobody gets up to almost 300lbs at extremely low bodyfat without serious hormonal intervention. FFMI of 25 with a extremely lean, chiseled physique? Probably attainable for many.

Scoons33

Scoons33

Awards
  • Established
You are setting yourself for failure by trying to mirror the physique of any professional model or bodybuilder. However, it is very possible to achieve dramatic body composition change through proper dieting and by pushing yourself in the gym. If you are new to lifting, go to a personal trainer for a month or so and focus on the exercises and time between sets. Once you feel you have it down, try a month without a trainer and push yourself to failure each day.

What are your current stats? How is your diet? What is your exercise schedule? Do you drink alcohol? Give us as much about you as possible. There are many members here that will be able to help you to move in the right direction. Be realistic with time and do not expect change/results overnight.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I will post my picture of my body for you to judge and give honest opinions on what I am doing right or what I am doing wrong. I have only been involved in fitness/bodybuilding for a little over a year so please give me your honest opinions. Thank you. BRB.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Who knows. Unless they explicitly state as such, one can only assume. In some cases the assumptions are valid, in others, not so much.

Compare our own Ben Carpenter to someone like Jeff Seid and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart yet one juices and the other is natty.

FWIW Ben is natty and Jeff has let slip he's on gear.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
In BSF, Chris Bell interviewed Christian Boeving - a familiar face in mags from the 90's-2k. He admitted to AAS, but also said he had some integrity in that he'd at least ingest whatever product he was being used to sell :) N=1 but I just assume enhancement for anyone making a lot of money on their physique. It is said the Traps and Shoulders are a giveaway due to a high concentration of androgen receptors there.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's not easy, but possible to achieve a physique that resembles a fitness model (how they really look) naturally. You've only been lifting for a year; building an impressive physique takes a lot of hard work, time, consistency, and patience (both in and out of the gym). People shouldn't expect to look anything like a fitness model or a bodybuilder, after only a few years of training.

As previously mentioned, the conditioning of a fitness model during a photo shoot is only maintained for a short period of time, and the images are usually enhanced to make them look even better.

For now, I would put your focus on nutrition, training, and some attainable short term goals.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great points by all the previous posters in this thread. One tiny thing I'd like to add after seeing your pic: body fat percentage plays a significant role in "perceived" muscularity and size. I've been lifting a few years now, and only recently (last year) did I make a sincere effort to cut down to single digit body fat. I was 200lbs and cut down to 175@~6-7%bf. I have NEVER received more compliments and comments from friends to compete strangers in the gym about how I look "big" or "jacked". Most dudes at my gym didn't believe me when I told them I was 175. Put a large, sleeved shirt on me, however, and I simply look like a normal guy in decent shape. Definition gives the illusion of greater size. These fitness models mostly exist in the single digits year round. You might be surprised how small some actually are in person, especially if you saw them in normal clothes.

Right now I can see you've got a nice solid base. That's awesome. Keep up the good work. If you want an immediate bump in your perceived size, I'd cut down and then lean bulk, trying to maintain 12% or lower bf. That's my current strategy, anyway.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's not easy, but possible to achieve a physique that resembles a fitness model (how they really look) naturally. You've only been lifting for a year; building an impressive physique takes a lot of hard work, time, consistency, and patience (both in and out of the gym). People shouldn't expect to look like anything like a fitness model or a bodybuilder, after only a few years of training.

As previously mentioned, the conditioning of a fitness model during a photo shoot is only maintained for a short period of time, and the images are usually enhanced to make them look even better.

For now, I would put your focus on nutrition, training, and some attainable short term goals.
Basically this, the end.

The big thing is 1) They don't tend to look like that year round 2) It takes time, which most people don't want to hear.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Great points by all the previous posters in this thread. One tiny thing I'd like to add after seeing your pic: body fat percentage plays a significant role in "perceived" muscularity and size. I've been lifting a few years now, and only recently (last year) did I make a sincere effort to cut down to single digit body fat. I was 200lbs and cut down to 175@~6-7%bf. I have NEVER received more compliments and comments from friends to compete strangers in the gym about how I look "big" or "jacked". Most dudes at my gym didn't believe me when I told them I was 175. Put a large, sleeved shirt on me, however, and I simply look like a normal guy in decent shape. Definition gives the illusion of greater size. These fitness models mostly exist in the single digits year round. You might be surprised how small some actually are in person, especially if you saw them in normal clothes.

Right now I can see you've got a nice solid base. That's awesome. Keep up the good work. If you want an immediate bump in your perceived size, I'd cut down and then lean bulk, trying to maintain 12% or lower bf. That's my current strategy, anyway.
Thank you! That's my goal right now and I will continue to follow your advice. Take care :)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Basically this, the end.

The big thing is 1) They don't tend to look like that year round 2) It takes time, which most people don't want to hear.
And a lot take PEDs. Let's not brush that one away too quickly - which a lot of people also don't want to hear :)

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
A lot of them are on something for part of the year. It's likely that there are some that haven't used ped's but that's the name of the game for fitness modeling. Sure it may not be crazy doses, but smaller ones (like hrt) when cutting will help a ton

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Not trying to stereotype anyone here, just gonna share the following with you guys since are on the subject..

There are a couple guys who have told me they use PED's to get ripped in a couple months. They are seasoned lifters who have years of experience and whenever they are getting ready for summer, they workout , stop drinking alcohol, and take their stuff starting in March. What are your opinions on that? Is this common to see results that fast when you are on a PED?

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Not trying to stereotype anyone here, just gonna share the following with you guys since are on the subject..

There are a couple guys who have told me they use PED's to get ripped in a couple months. They are seasoned lifters who have years of experience and whenever they are getting ready for summer, they workout , stop drinking alcohol, and take their stuff starting in March. What are your opinions on that? Is this common to see results that fast when you are on a PED?
with dedication (aka nutrition, training, etc) yes. However, having a good base is needed. I see many underdeveloped people hop on and their physiques look different. Different muscle maturity.
Cutting with test means minimal to no muscle lost in a big deficit, it also affects nutrient partitioning so they can eat more too.
12-16weeks of just plain test alone will be enough to do a major recomp (provided you have the dedication)

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
let me make an example here, do you see my avatar pic below my name, fitness model lol i wish i could walk around looking like i do in some of my best pictures 24/7. point is a still image is not a good representation of how someone always looks. heck one time i ate a big A** calzone and i refused to go swimming i felt and looked so bloated.

IFN15

Awards
Genetics play a huge part in what one can accomplish naturally, some are blessed with being dry year round those individuals are typically the ones you see that are the fitness model type. They can gain lean tissue and still maintain a dry physique those genetics accompanied with some anabolic assistance gives what you see as the typical fitness model. Not to say that you have to have those genetics to be at that level its just a lot more easier for those blessed with ideal genetics for the Fitness Model.

So if one isn't genetically as predisposed it may take a little longer for one to get to that level.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a lot of opinions on questions like this. :)

1) I dislike it when people make general statements like "most fitness models take steroids" because like Hayden said, there is no way to be sure.
2) It is absolutely crucial that any comparisons you make to fitness models are in candid photos, not magazine ones. You are essentially comparing your behind the scenes look to their edited highlight reel.

I have a video called 'Why You Will Never Look Like A Magazine Cover Model' which discusses this from a behind the scenes perspective. It is brutally honest. I hope it helps. :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Huge piece of it that nobody has mentioned? The guys who are fitness models (or pro bodybuilders) often have other advantages you may not - like only having to work part time as a trainer (if at all) because their parents/wife/girlfriend support them. It makes a huge difference when you have the time and don't have to worry about financials. Or things along those lines. Its part of why someone like Christian Bale could manage to pack on the muscle he did for the first Batman, or Gerard Butler in 300 . When you don't have to do anything else for 3 months (and potentially have someone making your meals) its way different, and maintainable for the weeks of filming, or for a single competition.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
Huge piece of it that nobody has mentioned? The guys who are fitness models (or pro bodybuilders) often have other advantages you may not - like only having to work part time as a trainer (if at all) because their parents/wife/girlfriend support them. It makes a huge difference when you have the time and don't have to worry about financials. Or things along those lines. Its part of why someone like Christian Bale could manage to pack on the muscle he did for the first Batman, or Gerard Butler in 300 . When you don't have to do anything else for 3 months (and potentially have someone making your meals) its way different, and maintainable for the weeks of filming, or for a single competition.
This. Exactly this. My wife watches E News a lot and every week they have some actor/actress that had an "amazing transformation for a role" by packing on 20 lbs of lean muscle. Well, yea, because that is there job. They have a trainer and a chef and spend as many hours as necessary achieving that body.

It took me awhile to realize that this is not my job - it's a hobby. I'm a husband, an attorney, and hopefully a father (of triplets) in March. Those are my jobs. This is just fun and if my training (and body) has to suffer a little so that I can focus on my jobs, so be it.

Now, OP, I don't know your background. This may be your career. But if it's not, don't get too consumed with it. Just enjoy brother.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a lot of opinions on questions like this. :)

1) I dislike it when people make general statements like "most fitness models take steroids" because like Hayden said, there is no way to be sure.
2) It is absolutely crucial that any comparisons you make to fitness models are in candid photos, not magazine ones. You are essentially comparing your behind the scenes look to their edited highlight reel.

I have a video called 'Why You Will Never Look Like A Magazine Cover Model' which discusses this from a behind the scenes perspective. It is brutally honest. I hope it helps. :)

Came in here to specifically reference bdcc -- I see he already made an appearance :)

Ben busts his a** and I give him mad respect for it. If I didn't know him, I'd probably be inclined to think he was on the sauce just seeing one of his shoot photos. But knowing him, his work ethic, and everything else gives me a better mindset when seeing other people and not jumping to making any judgments in one direction or another.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Admittedly, I've felt like a failure when I notice I look waaaaaaay far off from all these fitness models and wonder if I'm not trying hard enough. Granted, I've never been mega ultra lean. I think the leanest I've ever been was 12%...so I guess I shouldn't really try to compare myself to any fitness models to begin with.

Rushie

Awards
Came in here to specifically reference bdcc -- I see he already made an appearance :)

Ben busts his a** and I give him mad respect for it. If I didn't know him, I'd probably be inclined to think he was on the sauce just seeing one of his shoot photos. But knowing him, his work ethic, and everything else gives me a better mindset when seeing other people and not jumping to making any judgments in one direction or another.
Nothing against him but I don't believe for a second Ben wasn't using some sort of PEDs to achieve what he has (along with hard work, etc.). Have nothing against using PEDs or steroids and I'm not judging but I'm not stupid either. But then, everyone has their own definition of "natty" and there is plenty of evidence that those in the fitness/BB industry are often lying both to others and even themselves. To each his/her own.

OP IMHO vast majority (pretty much all) of what you see in the magazines is also the result of using some sort of PEDs/steroids. Much like vast majority of pro sports (pretty much all of them) is on PEDs/steroids.

Rushie

Awards
OH, and anyone who believes actors like Bale, Jackman, Butler etc. weren't using some kind of PEDs during their prep is beyond naive IMHO.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing against him but I don't believe for a second Ben wasn't using some sort of PEDs to achieve what he has (along with hard work, etc.). Have nothing against using PEDs or steroids and I'm not judging but I'm not stupid either. But then, everyone has their own definition of "natty" and there is plenty of evidence that those in the fitness/BB industry are often lying both to others and even themselves. To each his/her own.

OP IMHO vast majority (pretty much all) of what you see in the magazines is also the result of using some sort of PEDs/steroids. Much like vast majority of pro sports (pretty much all of them) is on PEDs/steroids.
I have been open with what I use.

I never describe myself as natural because some supplements I use may be prohibited by certain federations (ephedrine, 1,3-DMAA, yohimbe) but I do not use SARMS, PHs or AAS.

I am very firm on that and can't see myself deviating from it.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ben has those mad British genetics...meanwhile I'm over here all like 'Bloody 'ell brah'

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know natural guys that make me look like I don't even lift.

All I really have is a stubborn enough nature that I can diet hard.

Apart from conditioning I don't have much. I am only 75kg in this photo lol.

https://instagram.com/p/wTNlQfIJKY/

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
75kg of pure dreaminess ;)

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Who knows. Unless they explicitly state as such, one can only assume. In some cases the assumptions are valid, in others, not so much.

Compare our own Ben Carpenter to someone like Jeff Seid and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart yet one juices and the other is natty.

FWIW Ben is natty and Jeff has let slip he's on gear.
Ben > Jeff

Awe Knee Mall

Awards
From what I see in the pictures, you do have good genetics. You can't get there in 90 days though. I could give you a better idea if you tell me your age, height, weight and wrist and ankle measurements (circumference) at their smallest points.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

You know what they say about assumptions

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Great thread here,
A solid answer will never come to guesses of who and who is not natty though unfortunately

It is not "needed" to look like a model but lighting and image editing sure is.
AAS are only necessary if you are also after a size you are not genetically capable of reaching.

IMO that size, past genetic limits, is not necessary on models at all. I would be quite happy to fill out my smaller frame with hard-earned muscle and drop down as lean as Ben on occasion to kill it at the beach ;)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would say the are taking things that make them look more "dry" and ripped than anything.

Piledahlaren

Piledahlaren

Awards
  • Established
check out Marc Fitt, one of few I think is natty

Holland

Holland

Awards
More and likely yes they are but do not take their hard work away.

All Creation

Awards
So this may bring a bunch of flak, given the audience here, but I am genuinely curious about your perspectives:

Is the use of PEDs in modeling, advertising, and competition morally wrong? And is there a moral high ground for natty lifters, or is it simply a stubborn pride?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So this may bring a bunch of flak, given the audience here, but I am genuinely curious about your perspectives:

Is the use of PEDs in modeling, advertising, and competition morally wrong? And is there a moral high ground for natty lifters, or is it simply a stubborn pride?
I think the only issue is that of honesty. If someone is transparent about his or her means to where he or she is, it's all good. What people don't like are those who are in "natural" divisions of competitions and taking banned substances or models who are advocating a bottle of garcinia cambogia who are on clen, tren and everything in between.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the only issue is that of honesty. If someone is transparent about his or her means to where he or she is, it's all good. What people don't like are those who are in "natural" divisions of competitions and taking banned substances or models who are advocating a bottle of garcinia cambogia who are on clen, tren and everything in between.
Yeah for me, I don't like it when people brag about being natural and talk about doing hard work...when they're clearly juiced up.

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
My favorites are the ones with acne craters all over their chest, shoulders, and back

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

It is tough.

For example, an IFBB Pro claiming the newest herbal testosterone booster is responsible for their sharper conditioning on stage this year is a flat out lie. I don't like this.

On the other hand it isn't realistic to expect people to always be honest about their use, for legal reasons in some countries/states if nothing else.

For me, I would be happy if those who used didn't claim they were natural. I would also like natural competitions to actually mean they are natural lol.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
It is tough.

For example, an IFBB Pro claiming the newest herbal testosterone booster is responsible for their sharper conditioning on stage this year is a flat out lie. I don't like this.

On the other hand it isn't realistic to expect people to always be honest about their use, for legal reasons in some countries/states if nothing else.

For me, I would be happy if those who used didn't claim they were natural. I would also like natural competitions to actually mean they are natural lol.
I usually start Trib and DAA 2 weeks out to really grow into the show ;)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually start Trib and DAA 2 weeks out to really grow into the show ;)
I just eliminate all food and only consume BCAAs and glutamine during peak week ;)

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
How about the guys who abuse PED's so they can abuse their bodies with alcohol on the weekends and get away with it?Plenty of those out there. How ya feel about that gentlemen? While you are busting your ass in and out if the gym?

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How about the guys who abuse PED's so they can abuse their bodies with alcohol on the weekends and get away with it?Plenty of those out there. How ya feel about that gentlemen? While you are busting your ass in and out if the gym?
Sucks, but that's the way things go.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Sucks, but that's the way things go.
This one guy drinks every weekend, works half ass in the gym. Then he abuses multiple PED's to cover for his laziness. ****ing **** mother****er!

Scoons33

Scoons33

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering what your opinions are on this subject. The guys you see in magazines, have most of them juiced?

This is not a trolling thread. Just wondering if its possible to get shredded like they are naturally.

It can make you feel a little discouraged when it comes to bodybuilding. So I want to know if its a dream thinking I can get like them naturally. Perfectly round full pecs, 8 packs, and a 30 inch waist while you wear a XXL Shirt due to having so much muscle. Is this even possible? Please tell me. I see infomercials for bodybeast and they claim you can get like that in 90 days. I feel like Im doing something wrong. All these guys with great bodies saying how they got like that with bodybeast or whatever.

And if it is possible, how long is the norm to get like that if you have the body that allows it?
I saw this article today and thought of your question. It doesn't reflect on PED use but it does explain the extremes models go through in order to get ready to look dry and ripped on shoot day. It also goes to show they do not walk around looking like this year round or the majority of the time for that matter.

h**p://w ww.msn.com/en-us/health/fitness/the-crazy-unhealthy-things-fitness-models-do-before-a-photo-shoot/ar-AAeiUPT?li=AA51YJ

Diet, lift, stay focused, be realistic with expectations and don't compare yourself to the "perfect" image and I think you will get there.

** replace the ** w tt and erase the space in w ww