How in the world do places like GNC stay in business?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Overpriced and overrated supplements in abundance. Not saying that you can't find good stuff there (Multi's and Quest Bars.)

But overall the selection is very limited on supplements unless you use their own line of products , which they charge insane prices for.

Why do people go to them when you can order from a supplement company that sponsors and advertises on this website? Which has much better quality products than GNC.

Also whats up with GNC asking you the same ****ing question everytime you walk in the door? You could have gone there yesterday and they still greet you with the same sales pitch bull**** as if they have never seen you before or ever spoken with you.

touchless21

Awards
  • Established
Ignorance = if you don't know any better, you just don't

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
This is actually a good question.

I'm assuming they are continuing to say around because of the high margins they make. All supplements have good margins, but GNC being overpriced helps them survive

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Idk every hates GNC but their $9.99 online sale is pretty solid IMO. I get their fish oil

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, just because a supplement company sponsors and advertises on forums doesn't make it superior. There are some brands on this forum I wouldn't touch with your ten foot pole.

The average joe just goes to the gym to get in better shape. He doesn't lift as a hobby or to see gains, per se. Thus, joining a forum dedicated to anabolics and weight lifting isn't likely on their agenda, if they even know these sites exist. GNC/Total Nutrition/Complete Nutrition etc capitalize on that market.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Would you guys say that the average GNC customer are two types of people.

1. The person that doesn't know any better and is just a casual lifter.

2. People who travel frequently and need to pick up some protein powder.

I know a guy who goes to the gym, and doesn't even bring a water bottle with him. Just goes in, lifts weights, and drinks out of the fountain. He didn't even know what GAT Nitraflex was.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Also, just because a supplement company sponsors and advertises on forums doesn't make it superior. There are some brands on this forum I wouldn't touch with your ten foot pole.

The average joe just goes to the gym to get in better shape. He doesn't lift as a hobby or to see gains, per se. Thus, joining a forum dedicated to anabolics and weight lifting isn't likely on their agenda, if they even know these sites exist. GNC/Total Nutrition/Complete Nutrition etc capitalize on that market.
And what kind of crap is that? What kind of exercises do they do if they don't even lift as a hobby?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are plenty of people that lift consistently and don't know what some well known brands are. I'm not sure where you were going with that.

People can lift casually to get back in shape or to feel better about themselves. That doesn't mean it's a hobby or something they enjoy. Maybe they have high blood pleasure or something, etc and are doing it for health reasons.

Just because you enjoy lifting and view it as a hobby that you are passionate about doesn't mean everyone does.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I understand that.

So what you are saying is that these people you describe, are only going to the gym to feel better. They are not going there to have the lowest bodyfat they can achieve, and they are not going for gains. They just go to the gym since they doctor said they need to lower blood pressure or something such as that? They do not drink protein shakes and they don't worry about meal timing either or counting macros.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not saying they don't NEED to. I'm saying the probably do not have that knowledge.

Not everyone wants to get big. Some people just want to be fit.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm driving but stuck in traffic so responses may be lacking context.

Basically, if you're an average joe and just trying to get in better shape/get more fit then it's unlikely you're going to seek out a website called Anabolic Minds and see what brands they recommend. Further, it's unlikely you will put in a lot of research in man hours into getting fit. Instead, you'll go to your local GNC/Supplement store and buy what they recommend. You'll probably have a trainer at your local gym.

If you're not really that serious about getting as big and lean and mean and green as possible, then taking X-Gels, PA, and Ep1c Unleashed probably isn't high on your priority list.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not everyone on the planet knows/cares about making informed decisions, much less go on sites like Anabolicminds....not sure why this bothers you. All you have to do is not go there if it bothers you that much.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overpriced and overrated supplements in abundance. Not saying that you can't find good stuff there (Multi's and Quest Bars.)

But overall the selection is very limited on supplements unless you use their own line of products , which they charge insane prices for.

Why do people go to them when you can order from a supplement company that sponsors and advertises on this website? Which has much better quality products than GNC.

Also whats up with GNC asking you the same ****ing question everytime you walk in the door? You could have gone there yesterday and they still greet you with the same sales pitch bull**** as if they have never seen you before or ever spoken with you.

No man is an island. Well no supplement retailer is either. You are pretty new or you seem pretty new to this. You could have just as easily gone into GNC being as new as you are and asked the same questions which you have posted in here. You wouldn't know that their prices were bad if you didn't check elsewhere. As for them asking you questions, well I'm guessing that is their job and they would like to keep it so they can put food on their table and support themselves. Another thing, why do you think that any sponsor on here has better quality supplements?. You think just because they are currently a sponsor on here the supplements they sell are of perfect quality and best price available?.

I mean SNS, yeah of course SNS has great supplements, but we don't sell them exclusively to sponsors on AM. They are sold elsewhere too.

bobby1k2001

Awards
GNC has good protein, same protein ON uses, they have crazy clearance section, the one I go to has price matches plus honors coupons

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Many people simply don't know better or shop there for the convenience of it. Nothing wrong with that if it's their choice

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Funny thing is, I find Quest Bars completely over rated

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I understand that.

So what you are saying is that these people you describe, are only going to the gym to feel better. They are not going there to have the lowest bodyfat they can achieve, and they are not going for gains. They just go to the gym since they doctor said they need to lower blood pressure or something such as that? They do not drink protein shakes and they don't worry about meal timing either or counting macros.
Not everyone has the same priorites as you

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
I visit different stores and prices are very similar to GNC but if you are a smart shopper period you will understand retail and any online place is going to be cheaper especially if you the company doesn't have to pay any overhead. It's funny how I read these comments and people act as if themselves are Jay Cutler or Phil Heath...Lou Ferrigno even said he first went to GNC and bought their protein...but hey just saying I think people expect WalMart prices

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
all I have to say is haha @ GNC prices. lol Jiigzz T-Bone Quads_of_Stee

**Hopefully you got that GNC "GOLD" membership doe** lol

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
Hey remember when GNC had AX Superdrol? :) those were the days

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
C4 for example is only a few bucks cheaper ordering it at the planet and paying shipping vs gnc.

most normal people simply dont spend inordinate amounts of money on supplements that 4 dollars makes that big of a difference.

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
or you can get walmart c4 for 19.99 in fruit punch or blue razz. ftw

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Alan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

2. People who travel frequently and need to pick up some protein powder..
Neither. I would say a majority of GNC's customers have absolutely no interest in lifting or sports nutrition products. Every store is different, but the ones I've been to have much larger sections of general health/nutritional products compared to the "get jakked now, brah" section. I also worked at GNC for just over a year (across two stores) during college, and overall sports nutrition sales were nowhere near sales of the much less exciting vitamin/mineral/general health products. FWIW.

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
Average GNC customer is looking for solid general health/nutritional products for sure as agreed from Alan1 's post can't agree any more

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Gnc has good prices for clearance. I dnt buy protein anywhere else but there. Now if you have friends working there then it's a whole different ball game. Ask me how I knw ;)

Gjackson

Gjackson

Awards
I used to work in GNC and it was such a **** place to work! If u didn't reach a price target they had ago, far to strict!

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My issue with GNC, besides the prices, is the hounding by employees to buy something. I understand they work on commission but I hate being hounded. If I walk by a GNC and there are no customers, I won't go in because I know I'll be hounded to buy something.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My issue with GNC, besides the prices, is the hounding by employees to buy something. I understand they work on commission but I hate being hounded. If I walk by a GNC and there are no customers, I won't go in because I know I'll be hounded to buy something.
You should prolly stay out of 99% of retail stores then. They all have some "rewards" program they're trained to sell you. I worked at dicks sporting goods in college and even working in the team sports dept. I had to ask people to sign up for our scorecard.

jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
I think what gets me also is people come in and can tell yet have no understanding on vitamins, probiotics, fish oil and etc....they think their pre workout and protein is the be all end all

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You should prolly stay out of 99% of retail stores then. They all have some "rewards" program they're trained to sell you. I worked at dicks sporting goods in college and even working in the team sports dept. I had to ask people to sign up for our scorecard.
In my experience, nothing is worse than GNC.

jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
People in GNC aren't there just to point and say there u go and leave u hanging....GNC is going to build u a stack for overall health...it's not just about bodybuilding and thinking about getting jacked...

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established

2. People who travel frequently and need to pick up some protein powder.

I know a guy who goes to the gym, and doesn't even bring a water bottle with him. Just goes in, lifts weights, and drinks out of the fountain. He didn't even know what GAT Nitraflex was.
Believe it or not, you don't need GAT Nitraflex to put on muscle, or drop body fat, or perform better. But, then again, I don't know what GAT Nitraflex is, so I must not even lift bro

jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
I think his point is, bodybuilder a do go to GNC but u have some that have no clue about supplement lines...just a guess tho

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I think his point is, bodybuilder a do go to GNC but u have some that have no clue about supplement lines...just a guess tho
Yea, I'm not sure what his point is. I do know that OP was just recently asking about Cannibal Ferox and Alphamine, leading me to believe that he has just recently heard of them. Thus, had we asked OP if he knew what they were say, 6 months ago, and he in fact did not, did OP even lift 6 months ago? Just something philosophical to ponder for the day!

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Believe it or not, you don't need GAT Nitraflex to put on muscle, or drop body fat, or perform better. But, then again, I don't know what GAT Nitraflex is, so I must not even lift bro
Its one of the biggest pre-workouts on the market. I know you lift though so I sense a little sarcasm in your post. If not I apologize.

But I just find it funny how some people have no clue about ****. This guy also recommended Anavar so that should tell you something about him.

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
Its one of the biggest pre-workouts on the market. I know you lift though so I sense a little sarcasm in your post. If not I apologize.

But I just find it funny how some people have no clue about ****. This guy also recommended Anavar so that should tell you something about him.
One of the biggest on the market according to who?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I don't think Nitraflex is one of the biggest PWO on the market. I'd say C4, for sure. GAT isn't exactly a well known company in the non-body building world. C4 is sold at Walmart, target, academy, dicks, GNC, etc.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Sixty - Billion - Dollars - Per - Year. That's the generalized "Supp Market" from one, long forgotten, data source. Most of that ain't educated consumers - you know, the ones that laugh at "Booster" ads with PED users in them (Christian Boeving in Bigger, Stronger, Faster anyone? :) ) The ones that believe the ads are the visitors to GNC as their main source. But like others have said, you can find deals there. I'll eat expired protein with a GNC label on it - made by ON... who is owned by a company that actually owns cows :) (Glanbia if you want to educate yourself further).

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sixty - Billion - Dollars - Per - Year. That's the generalized "Supp Market" from one, long forgotten, data source. Most of that ain't educated consumers - you know, the ones that laugh at "Booster" ads with PED users in them (Christian Boeving in Bigger, Stronger, Faster anyone? :) ) The ones that believe the ads are the visitors to GNC as their main source. But like others have said, you can find deals there. I'll eat expired protein with a GNC label on it - made by ON... who is owned by a company that actually owns cows :) (Glanbia if you want to educate yourself further).
Their Multis, fish oil, and general vitamins can be had for $9.99 once or twice a month. Not a bad deal. 1500mg fish oil. 960 EPA/DHA.

jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
C4 is sold at Walmart with a different profile and isn't as strong but people flock to it because it's known but once they branch out to other brands very rarely the customer goes back to c4

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established

Yes, there is sarcasm there, because your statement comes off as very elitist. It doesn't matter where someone shops or what supps they take, or if they even take supps at all. What matters is that they are in the gym, trying to make a difference in their life - whether it be adding 10 lbs of lean mass, dropping to sub 10% bodyfat, or simply trying to lose a few pounds and lower their blood pressure to enhance their quality of life. I never judge someone at the gym if they are trying hard - no matter what their level of athleticism and/or bodybuilding may be.

I lift, but I also do crossfit. Your comment would be like me saying "so and so hasn't even heard of Rich Froning, or the supplement company Progenix!" Chances are, a lot of guys on this board don't know either of them. Froning is a 4-time crossfit champ and Progenix is one of the biggest supplement companies in the crossfit industry. Just because people here don't know about them, doesn't mean I'm better than them or that they don't know what they are doing.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, there is sarcasm there, because your statement comes off as very elitist. It doesn't matter where someone shops or what supps they take, or if they even take supps at all. What matters is that they are in the gym, trying to make a difference in their life - whether it be adding 10 lbs of lean mass, dropping to sub 10% bodyfat, or simply trying to lose a few pounds and lower their blood pressure to enhance their quality of life. I never judge someone at the gym if they are trying hard - no matter what their level of athleticism and/or bodybuilding may be.

I lift, but I also do crossfit. Your comment would be like me saying "so and so hasn't even heard of Rich Froning, or the supplement company Progenix!" Chances are, a lot of guys on this board don't know either of them. Froning is a 4-time crossfit champ and Progenix is one of the biggest supplement companies in the crossfit industry. Just because people here don't know about them, doesn't mean I'm better than them or that they don't know what they are doing.
I can't rep you again, but if I could rep you 100 times for this I would. Couldn't have said it better myself.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Very well said.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
First of all Im not talking about someone who doesn't lift and only goes to the gym to feel better and improve their health. Im talking about guys who claim they "Lift" , and say how "Serious" they want to be, and they don't even know what pre-workout powder is, but then taking anavar. WTF is that ****? Cmon guys, you seriously cannot take sides with people like that.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I don't think Nitraflex is one of the biggest PWO on the market. I'd say C4, for sure. GAT isn't exactly a well known company in the non-body building world. C4 is sold at Walmart, target, academy, dicks, GNC, etc.
Woody, GAT is the number one selling PWO on Amazon.com

People know about it.