Benefit of a Greens Powder

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just fishing for opinions.
CL has OT with Greens, OM with greens, and now MyProtein has a nutrigreen powder. Are these not even close/sorta close/neutral/close/almost identical to eating veggies. Is there a benefit to a powder besides convenience.

Green leafy's tend to be the main thing I miss in my diet.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
you already stated it Convenience.

Why not eat your greens? it would be cheaper in the end. Sometimes people just do not cook their green right, or flavor them right (spices, hot sauce, butter spray) etc and then find they end up loving them (roasting, steaming, grilled, baking in oven). I would try at all costs to eat them as much as possible for the micronutrients, vitamins and minerals they consume and resort to a supplement as a last resort (since they are made to supplement our dietary needs).

I would throw Prime's Phytoform into the mix. hands down one of the best tasting greens products out there.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Exactly what Bob said. It's like everything else..meant to supplement. It's a convenient way to get some extra greens/enzymes/probiotics, even more confident being combined as OT+Greens. But, it's not needed if your getting in an adequate amount of greens every day.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you already stated it Convenience.

Why not eat your greens? it would be cheaper in the end. Sometimes people just do not cook their green right, or flavor them right (spices, hot sauce, butter spray) etc and then find they end up loving them (roasting, steaming, grilled, baking in oven). I would try at all costs to eat them as much as possible for the micronutrients, vitamins and minerals they consume and resort to a supplement as a last resort (since they are made to supplement our dietary needs).

I would throw Prime's Phytoform into the mix. hands down one of the best tasting greens products out there.
I love greens, but never really have time to prepare them; when I meal prep, they never seem to heat up right. I spend a lot of time at school. Sometimes I'm there from 6 am till 9 pm, so it's hard.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
if you heat up your chicken, rice, beef, potatoes, paste etc in a microwave just take them raw (not frozen) and they will be 100% fine. Do it all the time.
Precook any beef/poultry/pork and your carbs (potatoes/pasta/rice) and then reheat with raw veggies. Frozen veggies reheated may be a problem (never tried), always grab fresh.

Nyrin

Awards
if you heat up your chicken, rice, beef, potatoes, paste etc in a microwave just take them raw (not frozen) and they will be 100% fine. Do it all the time.
Precook any beef/poultry/pork and your carbs (potatoes/pasta/rice) and then reheat with raw veggies. Frozen veggies reheated may be a problem (never tried), always grab fresh.
Frozen produce is typically just as and often significantly more nutrient-dense than fresh produce, owing to the bagged stuff being flash-frozen much closer to proper ripeness than the "fresh," which needs to be harvested far enough in advance (weeks) to survive transport and display without going rotten before sale.

This is particularly evident with a lot of fruits, such as strawberries, which will taste and even look significantly different in frozen versus fresh forms -- non-local "fresh" strawberries will typically have a solid white and somewhat bitter center indicative of being picked way too early; locally-harvested, recently-picked strawberries will share a consistent red hue with their frozen counterparts indicative of much better ripening. If "fresh" grocery store fruit has ever tasted a little lackluster to you, this may be why.

I can't link the studies (another few years of posting, I'm sure), but frozen broccoli has been shown to be equal or superior to the store-bought fresh counterparts in several vitamins and folic acid. No real negatives nutritionally.

Where people often go wrong with frozen vegetables is the preparation. Throwing your vegetables into a big pot of boiling water and then cooking the crap out of them -- pretty much literally -- will definitely reduce the nutritional content, particularly of anything remotely water-soluble. Boiling's also one of the least flavorful ways to enjoy (or not enjoy) veggies, which leads to a downward spiral of people eating even less of the reduced-nutrition vegetables because "they taste bad," or using "generous" portions of butter to compensate -- story of my childhood, but I won't go there.

Buying big bags of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, or whatever else, then throwing a few hundred grams on a cookie sheet to roast at 370-400 Fahrenheit produces fantastic results, particularly if you spritz with a few grams of oil and cover in some tasty spices. Solid foundation to almost any meal. Plus, you can sometimes even get "lazy" and do combo recipes where you bake some meat--chicken or salmon filets work great--at the same time.

It's easy to defrost frozen veggies in the microwave and then add them to skillet recipes, too. All sorts of creative ways to incorporate.

Not that I'm saying there's anything bad about fresh vegetables -- they're still great! -- but I can often get better value and availability for some of the staples by keeping frozen forms on hand, and that's A-OK.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I personally get stuff cheaper fresh (coupons/discounts/farmers markets), and that is why i suggested to buy fresh.
I am just not a fan of frozen veggies or frozen things in general with how "most" (not all) times there may be frozen preservatives added. Welcome to America and how 80% of the population lives off mostly frozen TV dinners and other junk in the frozen section because they are too lazy to cook.
I tend to stay away from them. Now if we talk about ice cream, thats a different story :)

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ I agree. That's whey evan centopani is one of my fav bodybuilders is because he is a big believer in fresh veggies etc. Plus they taste ten times better fresh. A greens sup is okay but you still should have some natural fresh veggies in your diet.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
^^^ I agree. That's whey evan centopani is one of my fav bodybuilders is because he is a big believer in fresh veggies etc. Plus they taste ten times better fresh. A greens sup is okay but you still should have some natural fresh veggies in your diet.
Whey
No pun intended right? :)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It takes zero time to prep fresh veggies. My go to is broccoli when it is .99 a pound. Buy a rice cooker with a steaming basket and once you see steam come out, add the broccoli for 4 minutes.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not the prep, it's the reheating. They become rubbery or get a bad taste.

I wasn't intending on starting a veggie prep thread, but more looking into the merits of a green powder.

Let's just assume for whatever reason satisfies your personal beliefs that getting an abundance of green veggies is hard.
Do these powders have the micronutrients and other nutritional value as actual veggies? To what extent? Etc.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I do Baby Spinach raw on my Egg Wrap and Chicken Wrap. I steam Green Beans (Steamers are about $25) and add all the Bell Pepper varieties with seasoning. Way more filling - I used to get Ultimate Nutrition's Greens powder (64 days for about $30) but like filling my belly with actual greens now.

Nyrin

Awards

I wasn't intending on starting a veggie prep thread, but more looking into the merits of a green powder.

Let's just assume for whatever reason satisfies your personal beliefs that getting an abundance of green veggies is hard.
Do these powders have the micronutrients and other nutritional value as actual veggies? To what extent? Etc.
I don't think the answer to your question here is very well-investigated.

My take is that greens supplements would be better than no whole food vegetable intake at all, but likely nowhere near as good as even a fledgling attempt at proper dietary inclusion of the real thing.

When you compare the macronutrient mass of a greens supplement to the macronutrient mass of whole foods (gotta ignore the huge water weight here), you'd need many, many servings of the powder to approach "complete servings;" a fairly reasonable 200g of broccoli can only be reduced down to ~20g of powder, for instance.

That, of course, is also assuming that the processing techniques involved aren't removing significant amounts of the micronutrient content. Maybe they aren't, but without proper analysis/study, we don't really know.

Greens supplements can be nice for getting a broad spectrum of phytonutrients from a lot greater variety of plants than you'd be prepping yourself, but I'm again skeptical of the total value of that given how little you're getting of each.

Ultimately, though, you can "live" off of some pretty crazy diets, particularly if you're covering big gaps with vitamin supplements -- see the obese patients doing year+ PSMF protocols with nothing but yeast, fiber, and vitamin supplements for evidence of that. That doesn't mean that such situations are optimal, though, and although it's hard to define what "optimal" is in these cases, I think it's going to have to involve eating real veggies.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

They like i said take the veggies raw and microwave them with your pre-cooked beef rice potatoes etc.
I have never had them come out nasty or rubbery ever. same with green beans or asapargus usually 1.5-2 minutes on a high power and perfect.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat green veggies when my schedule allows. I don't like to prep them because I don't like the way they taste, etc. I understand your views on raw veggies vs powder, that wasn't exactly the point. The point was how the powder compares.

That being said, there are days when I am at school from 6 am till 9 pm, and I green veggies are out except for breakfast. There are also days I have no school and I am able to cook at home. There are days when I am at school until 2 pm, or sometimes 5-9 pm. It just depends.
The point of this thread was to see how green powders compare to vegetables. Not to start a mass lecture on the benefits of green veggies. I figured stipulating to the fact that getting veggies was hard would help simplify that.

I appreciate the advice, and I will PM a few of you for your veggie prep tips, but I'm still left a little empty on the powder substance area.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I eat green veggies when my schedule allows. I don't like to prep them because I don't like the way they taste, etc. I understand your views on raw veggies vs powder, that wasn't exactly the point. The point was how the powder compares.

That being said, there are days when I am at school from 6 am till 9 pm, and I green veggies are out except for breakfast. There are also days I have no school and I am able to cook at home. There are days when I am at school until 2 pm, or sometimes 5-9 pm. It just depends.
The point of this thread was to see how green powders compare to vegetables. Not to start a mass lecture on the benefits of green veggies. I figured stipulating to the fact that getting veggies was hard would help simplify that.

I appreciate the advice, and I will PM a few of you for your veggie prep tips, but I'm still left a little empty on the powder substance area.
I think youre looking for a veggie replacement, which this shouldnt be. OT powder is an amazing compliment, but not IMO a replacement

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think youre looking for a veggie replacement, which this shouldnt be. OT powder is an amazing compliment, but not IMO a replacement
Eh, I don't think I'm really looking for a replacement at all. I eat broccoli/spinach/squash/etc. as much as I can, but I imagine it isn't an optimal amount. In essence, is a green powder sufficient in the manner whey protein powder is.

Does it have the micronutrients, etc. as well.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Eh, I don't think I'm really looking for a replacement at all. I eat broccoli/spinach/squash/etc. as much as I can, but I imagine it isn't an optimal amount. In essence, is a green powder sufficient in the manner whey protein powder is.

Does it have the micronutrients, etc. as well.
Ah, read that as you didn't have the time so you wanted a powder - although steamed veges take almost no time at all ;)

I would imagine they do, going only by the logic that if they can make a tab or capsule a contain micronutrients then a greens supplement would be no different

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ah, read that as you didn't have the time so you wanted a powder - although steamed veges take almost no time at all ;)

I would imagine they do, going only by the logic that if they can make a tab or capsule a contain micronutrients then a greens supplement would be no different
Thank you.

I figured it would be easier to stipulate to that in hopes of getting down to the answer you just gave but it turned out to cause more problems than it solved and led to debates about meal prepping and raw vs. frozen vegetables (although I didn't mind it, but it didn't help me regarding my question at all.)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Thank you.

I figured it would be easier to stipulate to that in hopes of getting down to the answer you just gave but it turned out to cause more problems than it solved and led to debates about meal prepping and raw vs. frozen vegetables (although I didn't mind it, but it didn't help me regarding my question at all.)
IMO OT + Greens is the best way to go.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Any ideas on how make it taste a little more tolerable?
I split the servings in half and had half a scoop 4x per day. I didn't mind the taste in Orange Juice after that

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've mixed it with a vanilla protein and it wasn't bad. Otherwise I just do 2-3oz of water and shoot it. It's gonna taste like greens regardless

thedeadlybulb

Awards
I've just been adding a quick squirt of Mio (the Sport version, I believe) to one scoop. Only tried it with Orange so far.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just spent like $180AU on Marco Greens & Marco Reds. I'd rather spend on my health than bodybuilding supplements. I feel a difference as-well when I take thse, just crappy Aussie dollar atm!

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
Poop on powdered greens... They're nothing like eating your real greens. Most arn't even concentrated enough for your body to get the benefits. If I had to go with a greens product it would have to be CYTOGREENS, but then again I wouldn't waste the money if I was you.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Poop on powdered greens... They're nothing like eating your real greens. Most arn't even concentrated enough for your body to get the benefits. If I had to go with a greens product it would have to be CYTOGREENS, but then again I wouldn't waste the money if I was you.
Like I mentioned, I honestly felt a difference and 100% noticed it. It's worth it to me. Most people just eat the same greens daily, I believe they'd be missing out on loads of nutrients.

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
Like I mentioned, I honestly felt a difference and 100% noticed it. It's worth it to me. Most people just eat the same greens daily, I believe they'd be missing out on loads of nutrients.
Sorry I didn't read that, sometimes I can't read all the post lol, but If you like it stick to it man, just get the best quality you can afford. You saw my recommendation, I've also tried controlled labs green powder and I wasn't a fan.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry I didn't read that, sometimes I can't read all the post lol, but If you like it stick to it man, just get the best quality you can afford. You saw my recommendation, I've also tried controlled labs green powder and I wasn't a fan.
I found Marco Greens the best value.....It's around 60-62 I believe and gives you 90 servings of 9-11grams.

They have Marco Reds as-well. Off course found 1-2 with interesting formulas, but 20-30% more cost.