Lets review. What supplements are absolutely worth the money?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Ok game time. You got some money to invest, and you can pick and choose which supplements you use.

Which ones do you use and which ones do you not even consider? Im sure most of you are serious lifters so all opinions will be appreciated. If you want to get specific, feel free to list the ones you use while bulking and the ones you add during cutting.

Thank you.

Razor198042

Razor198042

Awards
Multivitamin,desiccated liver tablets,amino acid pills and on occassion,creatine tablets,unless you have a particular deficiency anything else is a waste to buy and you can get from foods you eat

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
creatine
beta-alanine
agmatine
whey
x-gels
forskolin 95

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Multivitamin,desiccated liver tablets,amino acid pills and on occassion,creatine tablets,unless you have a particular deficiency anything else is a waste to buy and you can get from foods you eat
This is just bad advice.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Betaine anhydrous/TMG
Soy lecithin/ PA
Creatine
Citrulline malate 6g or more

Razor198042

Razor198042

Awards
Well,unlike the majority of those suckered into it,I don't place reliance on supplements. Rely on self before product(s) ;-)

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well,unlike the majority of those suckered into it,I don't place reliance on supplements. Rely on self before product(s) ;-)
While some products may be marketing gimmicks, to say only creatine, multi v, and BCAA are worth the investment/the only products that work is absolutely incorrect.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I had a reasonable amount of money to spend on products:

Creatine
Beta Alanine
TMG
White Rapids/White Pump/High Volume
Multi-Vitamin
Fish Oil
Good quality food

For a bulk add:
Some combination of:
X-Gels
ABE
PA
Ep1c Unleashed
Alphamax

For a cut:
Alphamine
Shift/Norcodrene
Forskolin 95
Inhibit-E/Erase/Erase Pro

Razor198042

Razor198042

Awards
Besides the fish oil I'd forgotten,as I said before it's an utter waste of hard-earned cash and you can make up for with a good workout/diet program. 'Nuff said

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
Natural Anabolics/ Anabeta, Ara, Laxogenin, Ecdysterone, Epicatechin, PA.
Thermogenics/ Any from Pes, Performax, Myokem others are great as well.
Protein/ You get what you pay for simple as that.
Sarms/ If you want to go that route they work very well.

Obviously your basics should come first like Food, Protein, Multi Vitamin as your base. [Multi if you feel you are not getting the optimal nutrients from your diet]

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Liver tablets, amino pills, and creatine tabs? These aren't great recommendations honestly. BCAA powder and creatine monohydrate powder would be a much cheaper alternative to tabs and caps. I agree that there are a lot of gimmick supplements out there, but there are more products out there that would be of benefit in addition to your list

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Besides the fish oil I'd forgotten,as I said before it's an utter waste of hard-earned cash and you can make up for with a good workout/diet program. 'Nuff said
Like I said, this is just bad advice. I would advise you to look up the definition of supplement

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ergonine all year and for all goals:
Creatine Anhydrous
L Carnitine
L Tartrate
L Glutamine L Alanine
HICA
Betaine Anhydrous
Choline Bitartrate
Hydromax
Ferulic Acid

All backed by studies, all at studied doses. 1 Scoop a day. Regular price is $1/day, use code "Driven" and it's less than $1 a day for a product you know and is proven to provide results and provide results over time.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I forgot about Ergonine because I was so focused on bad advice panda.

OP, Ergonine should definitely be a staple. Bulk, Cut, Recomp. Ergonine is a solid product.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
If I had a reasonable amount of money to spend on products:

Creatine
Beta Alanine
TMG
White Rapids/White Pump/High Volume
Multi-Vitamin
Fish Oil
Good quality food

For a bulk add:
Some combination of:
X-Gels
ABE
PA
Ep1c Unleashed
Alphamax

For a cut:
Alphamine
Shift/Norcodrene
Forskolin 95
Inhibit-E/Erase/Erase Pro
I'm kboxer7 and I approve the above message ^^^

Good list. Only thing I would add in or replace is Conqu3r for a pump+performance pre. White Rapids is legit too and prob my second fav. For pure pump High volume still stays there.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm kboxer7 and I approve the above message ^^^

Good list. Only thing I would add in or replace is Conqu3r for a pump+performance pre. White Rapids is legit too and prob my second fav. For pure pump High volume still stays there.
Have yet to try Conqu3r, but your advice is always on point.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
A good Whey (PES, Scivation, Animal Whey, MT Platinum, Blue Star Whey Smooth / Iso-Smooth,)
A Good Creatine at 3-5g on workout days no need to load or cycle (Universal, ON, Allmax, primaforce)
A Good Fishoil at 2-3g EPA/DHA Daily like Oximega
A good Multi such as Orange Triad or Animal Pak or BB.com’s Multi

For those looking for a higher end stimulant:
AEN Steel Edge, CL White Rapids, BB.com Scream, Katana, Core Fury, Conqu3r by OL, and Max HP by Prime are good choices.

Non-Stim:
White pump by CL, PES High Volume, Conqu3r Stim Free, MAN BodyOctane

performance Agent:
Ergonine

BCAA:
Juiced Amino's, Core ABC, Scivation Xtend, Aminofast by Blue Star, mTOR Pro (myokem)

BCAA/EAA:
Intra - MD, Amino IV

EAA:
Purple Wraath

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Have yet to try Conqu3r, but your advice is always on point.
Appreciate the kind words. If you get a chance I guarantee you won't be disappointed. New formula coming out soon too : )

3pic_B3ast

3pic_B3ast

Awards
  • Established
I can't trust someone who says "nuff said".

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't tell if a couple of people in here are trolling or serious...

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
CreMax, and depending on bulk/cut AlphaMax/OxyMax xt because it is a comprehensive formula that offers a lot of benefits, the best of which (I find) is mood boosting
other than that I like to try out other stim free fat burners like brite from evomuse, or epi.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
The Solution - any actual point in taking BCAAs. I hear them talked about all the time and I just get damn annoyed. Its like overpriced protein minus actually being complete protein. Am I wrong here? I cringe when people suggest it - protein is expensive enough - BCAAs are even worse.

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
Natural Anabolics/ Anabeta, Ara, Laxogenin, Ecdysterone, Epicatechin, PA.
Thermogenics/ Any from Pes, Performax, Myokem others are great as well.
Protein/ You get what you pay for simple as that.
Sarms/ If you want to go that route they work very well.

Obviously your basics should come first like Food, Protein, Multi Vitamin as your base. [Multi if you feel you are not getting the optimal nutrients from your diet]
Sums it up right here! I would have to add Ergonine though & for protein powder i'd go with PES Select. Taste very good and only about $44 for 55/serv last I ordered some.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The Solution - any actual point in taking BCAAs. I hear them talked about all the time and I just get damn annoyed. Its like overpriced protein minus actually being complete protein. Am I wrong here? I cringe when people suggest it - protein is expensive enough - BCAAs are even worse.
Not really

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kind of a "beaten to death" topic, but i'll add my two cents.

There's a difference between what may work great for one person and what may work great for someone else. Because our goals differ, and our training styles differ, and our nutrition plans differ... it's hard to narrow this category down. Pretty much everyone will benefit from creatine, most people will benefit from beta alanine and citrulline. Outside of a small handfull of supplements it then get's very personal to your specific needs.

When bulking i keep it simple. I like a GDA-type product for meals that aren't either before or after my workout. I prefer Glycophase or Slin Sane v1. Since nutrients are not restricted, i should have plenty of fuel for a workout and muscle gain. I don't seek to influence hormones (naturally) during a bulk as i think it's a waste of time. However i do like products that can increase strength and power. Things like: betaine, amento, creatine. I guess if i were to use something hormonal it would probably be Anabeta or forskolin.

For cutting again, keep it simple. GDA works well here, EC stack is tried and true, something for cortisol can be nice (Lean Xtreme or Reduce XT), and once again the use of creatine/beta alanine/citrulline to increase performance while in a deficit.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If your meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period then you wont need additional BCAA's (or protein) since you are hitting your minimums. They may benefit you for fasted training (Since you dont have any protein prior to a catabolic activity IE Weighlifting) or between meals 4-6 hours apart as layne demonstrated in his hypothesis

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much Conqu3r/creatine mono/PA on workout days along with beta-alanine and betaine daily.

Throw in the usual "special" supps for the certain time of year (e.g., for bulking ABE and ArA) and you're covered.

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Ok game time. You got some money to invest, and you can pick and choose which supplements you use.

Which ones do you use and which ones do you not even consider? Im sure most of you are serious lifters so all opinions will be appreciated. If you want to get specific, feel free to list the ones you use while bulking and the ones you add during cutting.

Thank you.
Now that im juicing i view most as a waste of money except for protein creatine beta alanine agmatine vitamins thats about it others are good but there are to many to list it depends on your goals

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now that im juicing i view most as a waste of money except for protein creatine beta alanine agmatine vitamins thats about it others are good but there are to many to list it depends on your goals
Lol, well yeah, there's a big difference there in what effects to expect.

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dermacrine - 20% off at NUTRIVERSE with code BPS20. Yes, that's a plug - but its a fantastic product and ****ing delivers!

dondon

dondon

Awards
  • Established
Most supplements vary with people depending on their age, lifestyle and physiology. In my twenties creatine didn't do jack for me, not that I'm in my forties, it's one of the best things in my diet. There are too many factors or nuts and bolts into what works for any of us, unfortunately there is not a supplement that one size fits all, instead, you have to spend some money to see what works for you. Personally, I like viron, letrone and follidrone, BCCA By Gaspari, Protizyme protein, zinc citrate (no matter what brand), pumpkin seed oil, and red palm oil for heart health.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
cissus and curcumin in addition to common staples already mentioned.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My best answer would be it depends.

Are we looking for performance enhancement? and if so what kind? Strength? Endurance?

Are we looking for health benefits? and if so what kind? BP help? Joint health?

Cognitive benefits?

List goes on and on. Depending on what you are hoping to improve the answer would change.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Are we looking for performance enhancement? and if so what kind? Strength? Endurance?

Cognitive benefits?

List goes on and on. Depending on what you are hoping to improve the answer would change.
How about all the above that you mentioned? Thanks Brother.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Cognitive benefits?

This.

I'd say that for strength and endurance, creatine, beta alanine, and betaine are worth the money, considering that they are all very well researched and cheap.

I'd also say that citrulline/citrulline malate is also definately worth the money pre-workout. For me personally, agmatine is also worth the money pre-workout. Besides providing a great pump, I've found it to help with back pain from an old injury (there is one study showing benefits to pain). The two of these together, plus a caffeine tab or powder if you want, is a great cost-effective pre workout that I'd say is worth the money. Since taurine is dirt cheap, I like to throw it in as well, and I'd say it's worth the few cents it costs, although it's certainly not a necessity.

For general health, I think spirulina is also worth the cost for sure, and it even seems to have some fitness benefits as well. There are lots of impressive human studies, and even more promising animal studies for uses that have yet to be explored in humans.

For handling stress and anxiety, a properly standardized ashwagandha extract is definately worth the price IMO, as is rhodiola for fatigue, and ALCAR for reducing mental fatigue and helping with cognition.

halljo

halljo

Awards
Lecithin Granules, Alphamine, Agmatine, Glutamine, Whey and Casein protein, Cordyceps Sinensis

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
From what I have found, the ones that work best for me are Whey (Of course), a BCAA supplement I drink during workouts since I love working out fasted first thing in the very very early morning hours. I start work at 6:30 so I love getting to the gym by 3:30 am to be able to check in and get in the zone. Plus I dream about training so earlier the better since I go to bed at 8 pm. I also take a Multi and a pre-workout along with a fat burner. Im getting Alphamine today so I can't wait to try it. I stopped taking Creatine because it didn't make any significant changes for me in my opinion. I do not take fish oil since I do consume fish during the week.

jwinak82

jwinak82

Awards
Aside from the staples multi-v, fish oils, ect. My picks are coconut oil, Epic unleashed, ABE, and I think Laxogenin is worth looking in to. I did a 2 month run and I thought it was great. But I didn't use it to bulk.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
guys whats a good simple fat burner/ muscle sparing while cutting supp? are CLA and Carnitine worthless?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
guys whats a good simple fat burner/ muscle sparing while cutting supp? are CLA and Carnitine worthless?
Alphamine, because its a proven burner and has HICA for muscle sparing,

If you just want a few bulk ingredients try ALCAR and Y-HCl possibly, with a higher protein diet

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Simple single ingredient for fat loss and retention of lbm would be Forskolin. ;)

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bulk Ingredients:
Forskolin (fat loss/lbm retention @ 50-100mg)
Yohimbine HCL/Alpha Yohimbine
Caffeine

Supplements:
PES Norcodrene (stim)
PES Shift (non-stim + has Forskolin)
PES Alphamine (stim + has HICA)

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I generally trust T Nation. What is the deal with these? They are rather expensive. Worth the hype?
I think Intra-MD is the affordable version of Plazma, and I find Intra-MD helpful in reducing DOMS for me.