Casein vs Whey: Pros and Cons

B

bhawks23

Awards
I have my own opinions on the topic and would like to see what everyone else thinks on it.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
bio-availability and digestion rate-get a blend and call it a day. if i had to choose one it would be whey but i don't so i get blends :)

B

bhawks23

Awards
I like Casein personally. Just because I've read studies on how it's better for putting on mass and shedding fat. But I use a blend too because I like the immune benefits from whey. Besides isolates are expensive lol

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Blend > whey > casein

Blends simply because of the data (awesome information at selectprotein.com)behind it but also because of baking, thickness, consistency, and texture.

I haven't used a straight casein in I don't know how many years.

M

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why pick one or the other? Blends are great. Better satiety and I like the thickness. It's not too thick like casein, not too watery like Whey. As for benefits of each....there's tons of back and forth that I'd rather not comment on. If you mix them both, then you get both advantages anyway....right? Haha.

B

bhawks23

Awards
At the supp store I work at people primarily buy whey isolates without even looking at blends at casein lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I like Casein personally. Just because I've read studies on how it's better for putting on mass and shedding fat. But I use a blend too because I like the immune benefits from whey. Besides isolates are expensive lol
What studies show casein in favour of muscle growth?

M

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's a certain T-nation article that says something about this, most likely included studies and stuff but I don't bother reading into their supplement articles much

B

bhawks23

Awards
That's one of the articles that I've read on it was the one by T-nation. Also from experience and trial and error.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's 2015. You don't have to choose between one or the other :)

U

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
there is definitely data on the topic.

the take home message is both have advantages especially combined. Get the boost in protein synthesis of whey and sustained release of Aminos with Casein (MPI has both casein 80% and whey 20%).

ModernProtein fits that bill and the best tasting Vanilla in the world..

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
there is definitely data on the topic.

the take home message is both have advantages especially combined. Get the boost in protein synthesis of whey and sustained release of Aminos with Casein (MPI has both casein 80% and whey 20%).

ModernProtein fits that bill and the best tasting Vanilla in the world..
So 20g of casein is better than 20g of whey for muscle growth - protein intake standardized between groups? Link me? Agreed with combined, interested in the casein though. I dont keep up with protein research

T nation isn't a study lol

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I chug the whey I get whey bloated

B

bhawks23

Awards
So 20g of casein is better than 20g of whey for muscle growth - protein intake standardized between groups? Link me? Agreed with combined, interested in the casein though. I dont keep up with protein research

T nation isn't a study lol
I'm not saying they did the study lol. They posted the study, I wouldn't get in trouble with the admin for posting the link to the study would I?

B

bhawks23

Awards
Just go to t nation and look for the article called whey vs casein the real story. My post count isn't high enough to post a link

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I'm not saying they did the study lol. They posted the study, I wouldn't get in trouble with the admin for posting the link to the study would I?
Someone else sent me the link - I read it but im not really convinced that they can claim casein is better than whey.

Ill have a read through the relevant references when I have a chance!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If the below link is what you guys are referring to, they give suggested use for specific proteins at various times. However, they suggest to use a blend for a good overall protein.

"For a good all-around protein powder:  Use a blend of micellar casein and whey protein isolate to take advantage of their combined qualities."

https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/whey-vs-casein-the-real-story

B

bhawks23

Awards
If the below link is what you guys are referring to, they give suggested use for specific proteins at various times. However, they suggest to use a blend for a good overall protein.

"For a good all-around protein powder:  Use a blend of micellar casein and whey protein isolate to take advantage of their combined qualities."

]
That's what I take. I think a blend is superior to isolates everyday of the week.

HeizzMP

HeizzMP

Awards
OP, it really just comes down to personal preference for which type of protein you choose.

A protein powder is used to help you reach your protein goals for the day. Whether you reach your goal by using whey, isolates, or casein powders is really up to you. All that matters is that you're hitting those macro goals by the end of the day.

I personally prefer whey as it is cheaper, though many people prefer casein as it's easier to cook with/much thicker.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't casein supposed to be better to take at night since its slower digesting? Currently looking at Myproteins 4:1 casein to whey because its cheaper and I don't need to take a lot of protein powder. Usually hit 250g a day off food alone.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Buy a blend or make your own (heck, Whey w/Milk is one, LOL) . Like everyone has said, it's 2015 and you don't have to choose. 80% WPC and Milk Protein is affordable as heck too - win win.

HeizzMP

HeizzMP

Awards
Casein is a lot slower digesting than wheys/isolates/etc. That is true. But your body will not enter into a catabolic state overnight, so it's not required. A lot of people prefer casein as well as they feel fuller after taking it as opposed to whey/other protein sources.

250g from diet alone! That's awesome! You're right, you don't really need to take any protein powder since you're getting your requirements from your diet. I usually end up somewhere between 2-3 shakes, dependent on macros for the day.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn, yeah, that's pretty good. What are your total calories?
Right now, about 2100.. Before was about 3600.

Well, thats a lie, right now its really screwed up because I'm in arbitration training from 8-7 everyday, but starting sunday, it'll go back to about 2100.

100-150g carbs
250g protein
50-60 fat (most coming from eggs and olive oil)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't casein supposed to be better to take at night since its slower digesting? Currently looking at Myproteins 4:1 casein to whey because its cheaper and I don't need to take a lot of protein powder. Usually hit 250g a day off food alone.
Casein is marketed for night time to "prevent catabolism and muscle breakdown." However, one will not lose muscle or have a spike in catabolism if they do not consume a slow digesting protein pre bed. I would not buy a casein powder just for that. If you enjoy casein, then buy casein, if you like whey, then buy whey. Either on pre bed or even whole food, is fine.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Casein is marketed for night time to "prevent catabolism and muscle breakdown." However, one will not lose muscle or have a spike in catabolism if they do not consume a slow digesting protein pre bed. I would not buy a casein powder just for that. If you enjoy casein, then buy casein, if you like whey, then buy whey. Either on pre bed or even whole food, is fine.
Well, I hit my protein intake daily with food, but I will start training fasted in the morning so figured a slower digesting protein couldn't hurt. I don't drink protein drinks often - sometimes post workout if it'll be a while before I can get my salmon in.
It's about 40% cheaper for 4:1 casein:whey blend at MP, so that's really my major motive.

M

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I hit my protein intake daily with food, but I will start training fasted in the morning so figured a slower digesting protein couldn't hurt. I don't drink protein drinks often - sometimes post workout if it'll be a while before I can get my salmon in.
It's about 40% cheaper for 4:1 casein:whey blend at MP, so that's really my major motive.
If you hit your protein intake daily with food, you definitely don't need protein powder. Protein powder is mostly for convenience.