Forskolin and Hypothyroidism

derek565

Awards
Hi everybody,

A couple a weeks ago I ordered some Coleus Forskohlii caps from NutraPlanet but I recently went to the doctor for some blood work and found out that I have hypothyroidism. I just started taking my levothyroxine medication today so I wanted to make sure that taking forskolin with it would be okay. I've read that forskolin can boost T3 and T4 levels, which I'm not sure if that would be good for me or not because my T4 levels were low while my TSH levels were high. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback, thank you all for your time!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anytime your on a prescribed medication you should ask your doctor about potential interactions

derek565

Awards
I know, I forgot to ask and it was a very stupid thing to do. I was just seeing if anybody else had experience with forskolin and hypothyroidism. Should I call the doctor back and ask?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely call him. Might have to leave a message with a nurse or something

derek565

Awards
Okay, thank you! I'm afraid he won't even know what it is but it can't hurt to ask!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Safe/smart bet is to always check with the doc.

That said, there shouldn't be an issue. I've been on prescribed levothyroxine for several years now (secondary/tertiary hypothyrodism/Hashimoto's) and have used products with forskolin in them with zero issue.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Safe/smart bet is to always check with the doc.

That said, there shouldn't be an issue. I've been on prescribed levothyroxine for several years now (secondary/tertiary hypothyrodism/Hashimoto's) and have used products with forskolin in them with zero issue.
I can second this. I forget what my number is, but my thyroid is barely on the slow side. When you go to a hospital on the level of Yale, any little thing sets off a red flag. Anyways, I am on levo too, the smallest amount that can be prescribed and never had an issue with F95. I would still contact your doctor though.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Forskolin does have a pretty significant acute effect on T4, starting at about 90 min, peaking at 120min and dropping off steeply at 150min.

EDIT: This was studied using dogs, just as an FYI.

Forskolin T4.png

FEBS Lett. 1984 May 21;170(2):273-6.
Forskolin stimulation of thyroid secretion of T4 and T3.

GD67

GD67

Awards
I've had Grave's Disease since 1995 (hyper)...treatment caused me to go hypo. My Synthroid/ Levo dose has stayed almost steady since then. I'm on 200 mcg. Levo now. I've used forskolin for many months prior to a full test with little change in TSH, T3, T4. I don't even bother to talk to my Doctor about the supps that I use...would be pointless.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Okay, thank you! I'm afraid he won't even know what it is but it can't hurt to ask!
Yeah ask him and he will be like "forowhat? Ah yes I know it its very dangerous to your health dont even try it!"

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah ask him and he will be like "forowhat? Ah yes I know it its very dangerous to your health dont even try it!"
If a doctor cares, they will take the time or have an APRN, check to see if there are any records between the interactions of prescribed medicine and health supplements. At least in my experience.

Better to be safe than sorry. Some of these medications have intense adverse reactions, trust me.