NEED SLEEP...

Thelux14

Awards
So most of my life i have been a non sleeper. i could sleep an hr every 2 days and be ok, but the older i get the harder it is to function on 0 sleep. i have tried a few things to help me sleep at night and nothing works.. im a local truck driver that works nights. and i am exhausted every morning i get home. then just lay in bed looking at the wall. its getting the the point that its upsetting me. ive tried gaba and those products. some other supp companys sleep aid. i tried REM 8.0, i have taken 3 heaping scoops of that and maybe get an hr of sleep. i dont care if i have to meet someone in a parking lot and make a deal, i just need to sleep. any help with supps? been thinking of trying the black stone labs powder as well.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anything else that might contribute to sleep trouble? Diet, taking anything else?

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If this has been a life long issue, I'm not so sure a supplement is the right answer. Have you ever looked into professional help? They would be your best bet to get any kind of long term resolution rather than just spending your money on hopeful temporary remedies that have largely already failed you.

Thelux14

Awards
no, i dont think anyway. my diet is done by a trainer and i take supps but its been like this for years since i was a kid...
i used to take meds from a dr and i just get used to them in a month and im back to staring at the wall. i really dont wanna go to see a sleep dr just yet.

Nyrin

Awards
Your problems sound severe enough that talking to a doctor about them is probably the right way to go.

Melatonin has had some very convincing evidence for helping a lot with shift-work-related sleep issues, which makes sense given that disruption of your normal circadian production of it leaves you all out of whack. It won't really help you get to sleep in a "knock out" way, though.

For a temporary fix, diphenhydramine (the active ingredient of Benedryl and a number of OTC sleep aids) is the only easily-available thing I've found to reliably and significantly affect sleep onset time. Tolerance and dependence can develop rapidly, though.

For staying asleep, GABA products can help with body restlessness but not so much with psychological restlessness; phenibut crosses the BBB and makes every night I take it a 10/10 for sleep quality, but there's no onset help and -- again -- tolerance and dependency can be big issues.

Doctors have prescription options available to them that are more well-suited to long-term use, but they'll also (ideally) be interested and helpful in identifying the origin of the issues. If there's an underlying condition like apnea, RLS, or any number of other things going on, you want to get that **** figured out sooner rather than later -- even past not being able to sleep, comorbitities can seriously damage quality (and length!) of life.

Thelux14

Awards
things like Melatonin i just tried last night and i literally felt like i was on pre work out.. i coulda ran to the gym and ran home.. lol
i guess im gunna have to go see a dr.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly think you'd be better off seeing a doctor before deciding to throw supps at it. Especially since you've been dealing with this since you were a kid and already taken other meds for it.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Supplements do not cure life long problems. Seek professional help
Supplements help enhance our diet and training, they are not going to be life long solutions. This needs to be taken to a hospital, get some tests done and see what the major problem is. not an OTC supplement or something you can buy online.

Thelux14

Awards
thanks guys... i appreciate all the advice for everything..

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know it's not the advice you were looking for but I think it might be what you need. Gotta take care of your body the right way ya know? Long term sleep deprivation can have a big impact on your life, which it sounds like it's already doing. If nothing else, getting checked out and finding out what's wrong could at least point you in the direction to go. Don't get discouraged, you've dealt with this a long time and I'm sure you'll find a solution!

Thelux14

Awards
no its ok. i knew i should. i just did some research, along time ago i heard truck drivers could lose there job for having a sleeping issue, but i did research and it says you cant lose your job for it. so im gunna look into it with my dr this week, a girl i know works for a sleep study place so ill get in over there.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Definitely see a doctor for that little amount of sleep.

One thing I have noticed though is that a lot of sleep supplements and medicines do the complete opposite for me.

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no its ok. i knew i should. i just did some research, along time ago i heard truck drivers could lose there job for having a sleeping issue, but i did research and it says you cant lose your job for it. so im gunna look into it with my dr this week, a girl i know works for a sleep study place so ill get in over there.
It could be many reasons for your sleep issues but at the end of the day, only you know why you have them. Mental such as Are you stressed? Thinking to much ? Worrying of things? Etc.

Be honest with your doctor :)

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
if you want to try something that helped me a lot while you get schedualed for the sleep place give G8 a try and see if it does anything for you.
helped me re program myself from being like you, to sleeping fairly normal.