Multi-Vitamins

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know the question is often asked - what is the best multi-vitamin? Orange Triad is always the top answer that I've seen. I'm in the market for a multi and I've always used cheap whatever (well, not always, but mostly).

For those of you that like Orange Triad, what criteria do you use for making this judgement? Why do you think it is the best?

For those that have other recommendations - what and why?

I know squirtguns89 probably has some thoughts on this and I'd like to hear more....thanks for your opinions and I am sorry to bring up the same questions over and over - but hopefully there is more insight out there.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like OT because it is hard to beat the price for the quality, digestive support, and other additives it has. Plus, CL is a great company and has the label program.

What I am about to post below is from a user on another board. I cannot link the thread, but do not want to take credit for it either.

Deficiencies vs. Imbalances
It has been well-established that the diet of mainstream society is rampantly deficient in essential nutrients. The need to redress these deficiencies has necessitated the existence of multivitamin formulations, and these formulations react to perceived deficiencies. If a study suggests we are not getting enough vitamin A, supplement manufacturers will often add an arbitrarily large amount of vitamin A to their multivitamin formulations. If another study emphasizes the importance of zinc, large amounts of zinc might be added in similar fashion. While this might make some short-term sense, it does not take into account that all nutrients work together and in synergy. For example, zinc depends on copper for optimum utilization, preferably in a 10 to 1 ratio. Therefore, any supplement manufacturer who adds more zinc to their multivitamin formulation will have to increase copper content proportionately. Failure to do so will result in an imbalance of this important ratio, leading to the suppression of copper-based antioxidant enzymes. Another example of these arbitrarily conceived amounts are the B-complex vitamins. One might be struck by the fact that multivitamins always seem to list their B-complex in precisely the same amounts. It is always the same 50 or 100 milligrams for each and every B vitamin (except for folic acid). What are the chances of the body optimally needing precisely the same amounts of half a dozen different B vitamins, each with its own exclusive biological role to play?

Quality vs. Quantity
The imbalance created by adding disproportionate amounts of certain nutrients is compounded by the fact that the composition of those nutrients is too often not of the optimal source. Therefore, excessive amounts of these synthetic and/or inferior nutrients can be at best wasteful, and at worst toxic or even harmful. Some studies have shown that extreme amounts of synthetic beta-carotene, for example, can lead to the body's carcinogen-detoxifying network becoming unbalanced, resulting (astonishingly) in the activation of genes related to the cancer process.

So what is the answer to this random, arbitrary, ad-hoc approach to the formulation of daily multivitamins? The short answer is vigilance, especially from consumers, health professionals and supplement manufacturers.

Here is a great link to tons of multi info also from AOR
http://www.aor.ca/assets/Research/pd...5_article1.pdf

Will keep updating and post about specific vitamins and minerals that are avaliable for sale here

Best forms of Vitamins:
-Vitamin A:Full spectrum mixed carotene sources,retinyl palmitate
-Vitamin C: Ascorbic acid,Rose hips, Magnesium ascorbate
-Vitamin D:Cholecalciferol
-Vitamin E: mixed sources of Tocerpherols and Tocotrienols
-vitamin K: Menatetrenone
-B1: Benfotiamine
-B2: Riboflavin 5' Phosphate
-Vitamin B3(niacin): inositol Hexanicotinate
-B5: Pantethine
-Vitamin B6:pyrodoxil-5-phosphate
-Vitamin B12: methylcobalin
-Folic Acid: 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Ant already touched on reasoning behind good multi selections, if you base that on OTs label, its pretty darn solid bang for your buck. i havent seen anything cheaper that uses as many full spectrum (or close to) forms of things, ie, vitamin a and e in cheaper options almost always have singular artificial forms where as OT uses a tocopherol and tocotrienol blend for e. Although they do use a high dose of folic acid, which in general doesnt seem necessary considering its added to a lot of things already.
I cant post links, so i just PMd you an article by eric potratz about vitamin forms, its a good read. hopefully that sent?

based on his opinion, i believe his recommendation is garden of life my kind organics. it is not the cheapest, but youll get whole food sources of things. if you already have a balanced diet, perhaps even half dosing it would make it more financially feasible as well. Personally in the long run, i will either switch to that multi/or half dose it, or simply dose the basics and not take one at all.

his palm oil is also an interesting product for those that just want good health food products and dont want to take a full multi to get their vitamins in.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Back up back up - I got this guys!

http: //orbitnutrition.com/cart/sports-nutrition/controlled-labs-orange-triad-270-tablets.html

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally I like NOW Adam.- I get 90 Servings for $28.

Its rated number 6 on Labdoor.com & has an A Rating

Orange Triad is number 15 on the list & has an A minus rating.

Orange Triad is good as well. I have nothing again Contolled Labs, I use their OxiMega Fish Oils.

Now Adam is a better value because you get twice the servings for about the same money.
Plus has a slightly better rating.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Orange triad or animal pak but animal pak has like 11 pills in one pack.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ant already touched on reasoning behind good multi selections, if you base that on OTs label, its pretty darn solid bang for your buck. i havent seen anything cheaper that uses as many full spectrum (or close to) forms of things, ie, vitamin a and e in cheaper options almost always have singular artificial forms where as OT uses a tocopherol and tocotrienol blend for e. Although they do use a high dose of folic acid, which in general doesnt seem necessary considering its added to a lot of things already.
I cant post links, so i just PMd you an article by eric potratz about vitamin forms, its a good read. hopefully that sent?

based on his opinion, i believe his recommendation is garden of life my kind organics. it is not the cheapest, but youll get whole food sources of things. if you already have a balanced diet, perhaps even half dosing it would make it more financially feasible as well. Personally in the long run, i will either switch to that multi/or half dose it, or simply dose the basics and not take one at all.

his palm oil is also an interesting product for those that just want good health food products and dont want to take a full multi to get their vitamins in.
That Garden of Life mykind Organics multivitamin looks pretty good. I like how they list the food/herb source for each vitamin/mineral. I've been alternating between Thorne Basic Nutrients 2/Day and Life Extension Two-Per-Day...depending on whether I want to spend the money on the more expensive Thorne multivitamin (even though it does use some of the best forms for each vitamin/mineral).

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Weird - I've posted a reply to this thread twice now and it doesn't seem to take? Thank you to everyone for the replies, there is a ton of really good information provided and I am still reading through it all, but it's interesting. I was looking at OT, Adam, Garden of Life, and a few others, and upon comparison using the information above as a filter, I decided to give OT a try. I know a lot of people love the joint support, but my joints don't hurt all that much (although my shoulder does a little)...so this was not a huge factor for me.

I decided that my gf and I can give this a run for 3 weeks or so and see if we like it....maybe do 6 weeks. At the end of the day it's not a huge amount of money. If it doesn't wow us, Adam is next on my list because it is cheaper and relatively close to OT....although I do think OT has an edge in a few areas.

It just seems like $30 for 45 days worth of vitamins is a lot, but I guess it isn't.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Weird - I've posted a reply to this thread twice now and it doesn't seem to take? Thank you to everyone for the replies, there is a ton of really good information provided and I am still reading through it all, but it's interesting. I was looking at OT, Adam, Garden of Life, and a few others, and upon comparison using the information above as a filter, I decided to give OT a try. I know a lot of people love the joint support, but my joints don't hurt all that much (although my shoulder does a little)...so this was not a huge factor for me.

I decided that my gf and I can give this a run for 3 weeks or so and see if we like it....maybe do 6 weeks. At the end of the day it's not a huge amount of money. If it doesn't wow us, Adam is next on my list because it is cheaper and relatively close to OT....although I do think OT has an edge in a few areas.

It just seems like $30 for 45 days worth of vitamins is a lot, but I guess it isn't.
That's why you stock up when it is on sale. Depending on when the sale is, I'll stock up for 3-8 months.

I don't know what you're expecting to see from a multi in 3 or 6 weeks though to help determine if you should continue running it.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think there are a lot out there good. However, from my experience alone....2 have stood out to me thus far. Orange Triad and Diesel Warrior. Both offer a variety of overall health benefits, and are a good financial deal when you take into consideration all that they offer.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Now Adam is a good multi, but I'm not sure labdoor's ratings are the best way to determine quality. They have had all sorts of poor products rated highly for illogical reasons.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Now Adam is a good multi, but I'm not sure labdoor's ratings are the best way to determine quality. They have had all sorts of poor products rated highly for illogical reasons.
Not saying it is the case for every lab study, but depending on who funds the study, some information may be skewed one way or another.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not saying it is the case for every lab study, but depending on who funds the study, some information may be skewed one way or another.
Just like on here. Some ratings may be skewed by popular opinion. Go on a different forum and you'll get different opinions.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

In the grand scheme, it's more than JUST a multivitamin though. Let me know how you like it. If you're wanting a Greens supplement and/or powder form, OT is also available as a powder with greens included.

That's why you stock up when it is on sale. Depending on when the sale is, I'll stock up for 3-8 months.
This. There's almost always sales.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I don't know what you're expecting to see from a multi in 3 or 6 weeks though to help determine if you should continue running it.
Thanks for the sale idea - and I'm not sure what to expect, if much of anything, after 3-6 weeks. Just kind of going in blind and seeing what I notice, if anything.

I noticed the labdoor ratings, but I was looking at it before I even saw that and it has no bearing on why I was looking at it. I agree with you.

In the grand scheme, it's more than JUST a multivitamin though. Let me know how you like it. If you're wanting a Greens supplement and/or powder form, OT is also available as a powder with greens included.

Thanks! I will keep an eye out for sales...it seems like a good product, so sales are probably a game changer...

This. There's almost always sales.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally I like NOW Adam.- I get 90 Servings for $28.

Its rated number 6 on Labdoor.com & has an A Rating

Orange Triad is number 15 on the list & has an A minus rating.

Orange Triad is good as well. I have nothing again Contolled Labs, I use their OxiMega Fish Oils.

Now Adam is a better value because you get twice the servings for about the same money.
Plus has a slightly better rating.
And Labdoor is legitimate... why? lol

OT and Anavite are definitely at the top of the list for bodybuilding multi vitamins. If i were going for a less expensive route i'd buy Source Naturals Life Force.

HeizzMP

HeizzMP

Awards
OP, I'd recommended checking out either Anavite or Alpha Men if you're looking to switch it up from OT. I'd used all 3 products, and have loved them all.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
OT all day as long as I can afford them.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks guys! I appreciate the new options....I will look into those. I got the OT yesterday...will see how it goes. I can already tell you it makes my pee BRIGHT yellow. haha.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
The one thing I don't like about OT (unless they changed it, then disregard this) is that they use folic acid instead of the active form of methylfolate.

There's a lot of research coming out on how folic acid can actually cause problems. And in the case of those with the MTHFR genetic mutation, their ability to convert folic acid into the active form is compromised, so they need methylfolate instead.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've used opti-men multi for the longest time. After having been on this forum for awhile, I tried OT and felt the difference right away. I felt a lot better and not drugged up compared to opti-men.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
AOR OrthoCore has always been top dog IMO - it's just pretty expensive iirc. I also like how they use capsules as well. iForce has a multi that is often overlooked for cheaper options.