Worst protein powder award of the century goes to...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Muscle Milk powder. I picked some up on sale, made a shake last night and after an hour started to experience the worst stomach pains of my life. I $hit you not, for over 6-8 hours I was in excruciating pain, yelling, swearing, and contemplating a hospital visit. It was the worst night of my life. I even took gas pills, etc but nothing helped!!

On the plus side, it didn't cause the runs. I'm still feeling some of this pain today. After experiencing this, I decided to look it up online to see if this experience was shared with anyone and sure enough, it has been, by many.

Crystalline Fructose is supposedly to blame, along with a few other ingredients.

Wtf Muscle Milk, fix up. There should be a class action lawsuit against them. Horrible horrible horrible

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep. My friend had stomach ulcers and used muscle milk and he was on the toliet every time he took it. I go more with pes select or another quality protein powder.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I usually go with Isopure, or for the blends I go with MP Combat Orange Creamsicle, best tasting protein I've had

cubs1987

cubs1987

Awards
  • Established
its up there for one of the worst. Would never buy it based on the profile alone. Another: Isolate Protein from Ultimate Nutrition. Picked it up cheap and I saw Isolate thinking it was Whey Isolate so I was stoked. Nope- wheat protein isolate. Horrible texture, mixing, and gas. Never again.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It leaves a yucky taste in my mouth. Kinda like when you drink vitamin D milk.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just hope it didn't give me an ulcer. I shouldn't still be feeling pain today but I do. ****ing horrible stuff

T

Thelux14

Awards
I started on muscle milk, now i only use it for treats kinda stuff. i will slam a big shake of it down if i know i cant get to a food source for a few extra hrs, it sits in my stomach longer for some reason. my main protein is MTS, but i did have a sip of dymatize birthday cake today and i almost fell in love. so i might go that route. who knows. but muscle milk only makes me have stomach pains if its chocolate. the banana is fine. also is the best tasting banana on the market if you ask me.

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It all is a balance in your diet, love me some muscle milk. The best taste for me, I think it has a great profile if it contains what it says. Carbs greatly over used. My opinion on taste of course, and I only buy it on clearance.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually go with Isopure, or for the blends I go with MP Combat Orange Creamsicle, best tasting protein I've had
Combat is tasty, but does not meet label claims.

Worst of the century goes to MGN from 4-5 years back. Spiked, rat feces, etc. No thanks.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It all is a balance in your diet, love me some muscle milk. The best taste for me, I think it has a great profile if it contains what it says. Carbs greatly over used. My opinion on taste of course, and I only buy it on clearance.
It has nothing to do with my balance in my diet. I've used the premade muscle milk for years without a problem, and my diet is better than 80% of the population out there. I bought the powder because it was on sale, and bam. Worst pain in my life. I did some research and it's a well known fact that 2-3 ingredients in it cause severe issues with many people. Look it up on the Livestrong website. This is the first time in my whole life that protein has made me feel this way, and I've been lifting/supplementing for years. I wanted to go to the hospital it was that bad.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I started on muscle milk, now i only use it for treats kinda stuff. i will slam a big shake of it down if i know i cant get to a food source for a few extra hrs, it sits in my stomach longer for some reason. my main protein is MTS, but i did have a sip of dymatize birthday cake today and i almost fell in love. so i might go that route. who knows. but muscle milk only makes me have stomach pains if its chocolate. the banana is fine. also is the best tasting banana on the market if you ask me.
This was the Cookies n Cream version I bought fwiw. Never going to buy the powder again, just the pre-made drinks.

The best protein I've ever used was, and still is Isopure. Nothing but pure whey isolate, no milk ingredients, no added BS. Especially no fructose added. Muscle milk claims they've added crystalline fructose because it aids in replenishing glycogen. Such a huge crock of $hit. Fructose is one of the worst ways to replenish glycogen post workout, and the crystalline version just tears up so many people's insides.

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was not referring 2 your body responding to the ingredients, I was referring to the profile and diet wise. Yeah my stomach is too tough for that to mess with it, guess my stomach is tougher than 80% of the population. Come on now.

T

Thelux14

Awards
lol, worst protein powder i ever had was pro supps glazed doughnut... it is the most vial horrible disgusting flavor you could ever imagine ever. if you ever smelled a hippy wearing nag chompa or smelled the incense thats exactly what it tastes like.. after tasting that, i threw away every ounce of pro supps products i ever owned. someone making a protein that tastes like that, i dont want your products. lol. but if someone out there wants the tub of it. i just got it last week and its sitting here.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was not referring 2 your body responding to the ingredients, I was referring to the profile and diet wise. Yeah my stomach is too tough for that to mess with it, guess my stomach is tougher than 80% of the population. Come on now.
What the hell are you talking about? Good for you and your stomach I guess?

I've been trying various protein powders the past 10 years of my lifting career. This is the worst of the worst I've tried. That's all I'm saying here. If you want to see the controversy about some of the ingredients in it, just do a simple google search or like I said, there's an article warning people about it on Livestrong.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Combat is tasty, but does not meet label claims.

Worst of the century goes to MGN from 4-5 years back. Spiked, rat feces, etc. No thanks.
I need to find a quality protein-blend as tasty as Combat with a similar profile. Any recommendations? I typically stay away from casein products because too much casein can cause nutrient deficiencies by blocking absorption. It's nice to have a good blend at night though or when I need something more sustained.

T

Thelux14

Awards
look at MTS protein.. i love it. the flavors are rockin.. and its clean and as labeled.. cooks great too

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I need to find a quality protein-blend as tasty as Combat with a similar profile. Any recommendations? I typically stay away from casein products because too much casein can cause nutrient deficiencies by blocking absorption. It's nice to have a good blend at night though or when I need something more sustained.
For blends, I prefer Select, Modern Protein, Pronom 23, and XF UP 2.0. All of them taste good and are of good quality.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
lol, worst protein powder i ever had was pro supps glazed doughnut... it is the most vial horrible disgusting flavor you could ever imagine ever. if you ever smelled a hippy wearing nag chompa or smelled the incense thats exactly what it tastes like.. after tasting that, i threw away every ounce of pro supps products i ever owned. someone making a protein that tastes like that, i dont want your products. lol. but if someone out there wants the tub of it. i just got it last week and its sitting here.
Well that's wasteful. I've tried that protein as well. It was a really sugary vanilla.

C

chris223

Awards
  • Established
The best protein I've ever used was, and still is Isopure. Nothing but pure whey isolate, no milk ingredients, no added BS. Especially no fructose added. Muscle milk claims they've added crystalline fructose because it aids in replenishing glycogen. Such a huge crock of $hit. Fructose is one of the worst ways to replenish glycogen post workout, and the crystalline version just tears up so many people's insides.
Isopure is terrible.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
ABB used to have a premade weight gain drink. Was banana flavored something. Had 1000+ calories in their standard 20 or so o bottle. Had about 200 grams of carbs from crystalline fructose and maltodextrin. It was more of a syrup than a drink. It was pretty bad. The old milk and egg from universal was pretty terrible, this was the 90's. I have read about a protein from the sea powder from I believe the 70's that was fish protein powder. I would think that would win hands down. People today have no idea how great everything taste compared to even ten years ago.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Protein wars are pointless imo, just go with what's on sale.
Never had a problem with muscle milk except the cost.
They (cytosport) also make a great isolate.
Sorry something didn't agree with your stomach op. Now you can cross that one off the list of proteins to try.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ABB used to have a premade weight gain drink. Was banana flavored something. Had 1000+ calories in their standard 20 or so o bottle. Had about 200 grams of carbs from crystalline fructose and maltodextrin. It was more of a syrup than a drink. It was pretty bad. The old milk and egg from universal was pretty terrible, this was the 90's. I have read about a protein from the sea powder from I believe the 70's that was fish protein powder. I would think that would win hands down. People today have no idea how great everything taste compared to even ten years ago.
Taste some plain unflavored hydrolyzed whey. That's ruff.

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Agree whatever is on sale is my favorite tasting protein.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
Too much fat and carbs for my liking. More of a meal replacement than a whey protein supplement. I prefer eating my calories. Whey powder I use to boost cottage cheese n yogurts protein profile, but other than that....eating calories > drinking calories

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Protein wars are pointless imo, just go with what's on sale.
Never had a problem with muscle milk except the cost.
They (cytosport) also make a great isolate.
Sorry something didn't agree with your stomach op. Now you can cross that one off the list of proteins to try.
You do realize a good majority of cheap proteins are loaded up wit fillers. And a lot, but not all, of protein you see BOGO or BOGO 50% are spiked as well.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
not a good logic to go buy
companies that are always on sale may not even meet label claims. People who constantly have BOGO's on their products are somehow selling under what the raw materials cost to make the product.

I would rather pay a few extra dollars for something that meets label claims then buy some low grade product that does not even match what the label states. Consider that next time you think just because its on sale i should buy it, or always on sale.

Worst:

MGN Whey (sand in a tub)
All The Whey (not much better)
you've got to have a better method than "because it's expensive it meets label claims". Plenty of supplements, not just proteins, have bogos and sales..

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
If a company is constantly selling a product under what it costs for the raw materials = Red flag
that means somehow they are losing money by constantly selling the product at the cost.
Why is that helping the company or how is that helping them with their sales?

lets look at some companies who are selling for dirt cheap and where they are now.

Gaspari Myofusion Elite = Fillers
VPX Syngex = Fillers
Muscletech Phase 8 = Fillers
-Musclepharm combat powder = Fillers
-Inner Armour Nitro Peak = Was almost half the content on the label.

These are just a few of them.
not to mention Dymatize failed label claims twice in the past
MGN never met label standards and was dirt cheap (wonder why)
All the whey was the same as MGN, selling basically sand in a box and selling it for dirt cheap.

Now you can continue to support those who sell a very low costing whey protein powder under the raw material cost to even make a product, but that is your personal choice and preference. if you want to support bad business ethics by all means continue to do so. But just know if your tub states 25g protein you may not be getting even 20g worth.
okay. so then why not look for fillers like taurine, creatine, glycine in your protein as opposed to never buying a protein on sale or buying the most expensive one

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There is absolutely something wrong with Muscle Milk and how it's formulated.

I get the same stomach issues with it.

I remember MGN Cinnabun. Best tasting protein powder, EVER. Exactly like what your mind and tastebuds think it should be....then the 3rd party testing came back and there was something like 4-8g Protein in it and 24g of sugar, lolz.

cubs1987

cubs1987

Awards
  • Established

I remember MGN Cinnabun. Best tasting protein powder, EVER. Exactly like what your mind and tastebuds think it should be....then the 3rd party testing came back and there was something like 4-8g Protein in it and 24g of sugar, lolz.
damn I didn't know it was that bad... I remember grabbing their isolate protein and loving it. Ugh.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

2 grams of the protein came from the rat poo!

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
all those ones on sale above have fillers that you stated above, (and i listed) and what i have been saying all along bud. Companies who are selling below raw material cost are using low grade fillers (that are dirt cheap) and help them sell under cost to produce the product. This way they can cut shortcuts, save money, and label it, buu when it is 3rd party tested it does not meet label claims. There is a reason why protein powder prices have risen a ton in the last 5 years, if a company can somehow manage to sell a product at a dirt cheap cost or constantly be on BOGO or very low in sale, then there is a problem. They arent making money, or they are using low grade fillers. Which is the whole point i have been pushing since post #1. You can google all of those labels and see visibily that even though those products are sold for a very low cost and constantly on sale there is a reason and the fillers are noted right on their labels.
but if you want to buy stuff that is "Always on Sale" or always "BOGO" or dirt cheap. beware
i agree, except with the part about buying stuff that is on sale.. all supplements go on sale at one point or another

more so you should check for fillers and not base your decision on price.. because some of those listed I'm sure were high priced until they were exposed. Granted if a protein is always on sale, they are suspect and should be looked into futher..

if i see a good price on protein, or a sale.. i check for fillers. If there are no fillers and i feel the company appears trustworthy.. i'll pull the trigger on a bogo or sale.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
-Musclepharm combat powder = Fillers

Interesting. I purchased a tub combat powder cookies and cream from costco for I think $30ish 62 servings. Initially I thought it tasted good. Then I noticed bloating and gas and upset stomach and started to 2nd guess the quality, but thought MP is a well known respectable brand.

Now I know the truth. I've been aplogizing to my gains, but my gains are pissed off that I left PES Select for MP combat. I'll try to make up for it by getting 2 tubs of Select.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Interesting. I purchased a tub combat powder cookies and cream from costco for I think $30ish 62 servings. Initially I thought it tasted good. Then I noticed bloating and gas and upset stomach and started to 2nd guess the quality, but thought MP is a well known respectable brand.

Now I know the truth. I've been aplogizing to my gains, but my gains are pissed off that I left PES Select for MP combat. I'll try to make up for it by getting 2 tubs of Select.
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
http://www.reddit.com/r/Supplements/comments/2j9nmk/amino_acid_spiking_does_musclepharm_combat_powder/
https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/musclepharm-lawsuit-arnold-iron-mass

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I got usp protein for $10 must be garbage? I agree companies are not meeting label claims, however I will also say from a body composition stand I do not notice a difference between them. Goes back 2 hitting your protein needs from food is very easy and any on top from powder is really negligible.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I got usp protein for $10 must be garbage? I agree companies are not meeting label claims, however I will also say from a body composition stand I do not notice a difference between them. Goes back 2 hitting your protein needs from food is very easy and any on top from powder is really negligible.
problem is
some people get over 50% of their intake from powders if not more.

U

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nope, amazing deal at the time on OxyElite Protein due to discontinuation to make room for ModernProtein...Smart man

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thought usp was the best so far, but I agree with The Solution if you are getting that much from powder better make sure it is legit.

U

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Muscle Milk powder. I picked some up on sale, made a shake last night and after an hour started to experience the worst stomach pains of my life. I $hit you not, for over 6-8 hours I was in excruciating pain, yelling, swearing, and contemplating a hospital visit. It was the worst night of my life. I even took gas pills, etc but nothing helped!!

On the plus side, it didn't cause the runs. I'm still feeling some of this pain today. After experiencing this, I decided to look it up online to see if this experience was shared with anyone and sure enough, it has been, by many.

Crystalline Fructose is supposedly to blame, along with a few other ingredients.

Wtf Muscle Milk, fix up. There should be a class action lawsuit against them. Horrible horrible horrible
they are probably using Milk powder very high in lactose..

T

Thelux14

Awards
i use mts , i feel that its a clean protein, but maybe i should make a switch to pes or something. powders are a large part of my diet as i cannot keep tons of food with me in the semi. and im always on the go so shakes and such are just so much easier. so what brands are the best out there?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thought usp was the best so far, but I agree with The Solution if you are getting that much from powder better make sure it is legit.
If one is consuming more than one scoop a day, I think their diet needs to be re-evaluated more so than the powder they are using.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i use mts , i feel that its a clean protein, but maybe i should make a switch to pes or something. powders are a large part of my diet as i cannot keep tons of food with me in the semi. and im always on the go so shakes and such are just so much easier. so what brands are the best out there?
MTS is fine. The only major difference with Select is that MTS is straight whey and Select is a blend.

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Opinion on consuming a quality blend versus real food, calorie vs calorie. Any real difference? Not referencing fullness or satiety. Just curious on comparison? I consume 1 scoop a day. But do eat yogurt and drink milk so maybe no different than powder?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Opinion on consuming a quality blend versus real food, calorie vs calorie. Any real difference? Not referencing fullness or satiety. Just curious on comparison? I consume 1 scoop a day. But do eat yogurt and drink milk so maybe no different than powder?
Micronutrients, vitamins, minerals, from whole foods.. 1 scoop a day is fine, some people take upward to 3-4-5 a day and get little/no whole food. thats when you may want to question their diets. (or almost 50%+ from whey protein which we all know is very heavily processed.) Everyone's diet should be based off whole foods as much as possible.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not a good logic to go buy
companies that are always on sale may not even meet label claims. People who constantly have BOGO's on their products are somehow selling under what the raw materials cost to make the product.

I would rather pay a few extra dollars for something that meets label claims then buy some low grade product that does not even match what the label states. Consider that next time you think just because its on sale i should buy it, or always on sale.

Worst:

MGN Whey (sand in a tub)
All The Whey (not much better)
You do realize a good majority of cheap proteins are loaded up wit fillers. And a lot, but not all, of protein you see BOGO or BOGO 50% are spiked as well.
Protein is just a supplement. It isn't something you can't get from food and it isn't a ped.

I have spent money on THE BEST protein on the market, pure unflavored pepto pro, as well as 520 dalton hydrolyzed unflavored whey ran them solo, and stacked, all the way to the cheap nasty body fortress stuff from Walmart.

Zero difference in performance an gains.

What works is food, and lots of it

People feel different. Great. But I have been using protein supplements for 15 years, and too much money is / has been spent on this for me.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If one is consuming more than one scoop a day, I think their diet needs to be re-evaluated more so than the powder they are using.
That can depend on an individual's overall protein and caloric intake IMO.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Protein is just a supplement. It isn't something you can't get from food and it isn't a ped..

What works is food, and lots of it
thats why i said this a few times now....

Micronutrients, vitamins, minerals, from whole foods.. 1 scoop a day is fine, some people take upward to 3-4-5 a day and get little/no whole food. thats when you may want to question their diets. (or almost 50%+ from whey protein which we all know is very heavily processed.) Everyone's diet should be based off whole foods as much as possible.
i think you missed those.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I actually agree with this logic - but I'm going to play devil's advocate. I am on a PSMF and when I started, using Lyle McDonald's protocol, I was happy to be eating chicken and broccoli. As time went on, this got pretty bland and the protein shakes almost became a treat, plus they are convenient. This morning I woke up late and had no time to make chicken and broccoli and downed a shake so that my blood sugar would stay stable enough until this afternoon, which will help me avoid stopping at a convenience store for beef jerky or something if I get light headed. Some days, I'm so busy that in order to avoid eating crap food, 2-4 scoops of protein powder is necessary on this diet.

Is it the healthiest way? Nope. Is it the smartest way? Nope. Is it convenient and effective in light of the reality of my day? Yes. I'm thankful for the tasty, quality proteins that are available today. Once I'm down to my goal weight and start back to putting on muscle in a couple weeks, I'll be back to loads of chicken, lean beef, broccoli, etc. - but with some carbs and such that will make it less bland. Prior to being 3 months into this diet I pretty much ONLY used powders around my workout - BCAAs before/during and a protein shake after. In my current situation, they have come in very handy. I also may not get enough vitamins on this diet, so I supplement with a multi too. Vitamins would also be better from whole foods.

I look for low carb, low fat powders that don't list amino fillers in their profile. As has been said, this isn't a PED and it is just a supplement. Quality will vary, but my list of favorites so far is PES Select, ANS N-Pro, Oxyelite Protein (haven't tried Modern yet), Scivation, and even VPX SRO (which may be spiked?). MTS and Modern are definately on my list of "to try".