Zinc - Best Type and Optimal Dosage

T

tristen22001

Awards
I've noticed lately that taking an extra 15 mg of zinc twice each day has been having a very calming affect on my anxiety. It also seems to increase my libido a lot. I was wondering what the best type and dosage is for long-term supplementing? I see zinc picolinate mentioned a lot but it seems like a lot of the ones sold online are in 50 mg doses. Is that okay for daily use or would it cause a copper imbalance. I do get a lot of copper each day with all the mixed nuts I eat.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
15-30mg daily significantly increased overall mood and sense of well being in one study. No specific time of day. It may be worth noting that Green Tea Catechins will increase absorption of Zinc...AND, stay away from coffee or Cholergenic Acid (found in coffee beans) around your dosing as this can hinder the absorption of Zinc.

*Public Health Nutr. 2011 May;14(5):882-8. doi: 10.1017/S1368980010002764. Epub 2011 Jan 28.
Supplemented zinc does not alter mood in healthy older European adults--a randomised placebo-controlled trial: the Zenith study.

As for the type of zinc, refer to the following to make sure you are getting the right amount:

Zinc citrate is approximately 34% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 146 mg zinc citrate.
Zinc sulfate is approximately 22% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 220 mg zinc sulfate.
Zinc gluconate is approximately 13% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 385 mg zinc gluconate.
Zinc monomethionine is approximately 21% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 238 mg zinc monomethionine.

(Above zinc differences Quoted from Examine com)

T

tristen22001

Awards
15-30mg daily significantly increased overall mood and sense of well being in one study. No specific time of day. It may be worth noting that Green Tea Catechins will increase absorption of Zinc...AND, stay away from coffee or Cholergenic Acid (found in coffee beans) around your dosing as this can hinder the absorption of Zinc.

*Public Health Nutr. 2011 May;14(5):882-8. doi: 10.1017/S1368980010002764. Epub 2011 Jan 28.
Supplemented zinc does not alter mood in healthy older European adults--a randomised placebo-controlled trial: the Zenith study.

As for the type of zinc, refer to the following to make sure you are getting the right amount:

Zinc citrate is approximately 34% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 146 mg zinc citrate.
Zinc sulfate is approximately 22% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 220 mg zinc sulfate.
Zinc gluconate is approximately 13% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 385 mg zinc gluconate.
Zinc monomethionine is approximately 21% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 238 mg zinc monomethionine.

(Above zinc differences Quoted from Examine com)
Thank you. So I really shouldn't exceed 30 mg daily?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
You are welcome.

I've seen dosing ranging all the way up to 600mg without any adverse affects noted. Doses are typically dependent on the reason you are taking zinc in the first place. For example, 80-200mg/day is used for macular degeneration.

For your needs, 15-30mg is considered a solid dose with 25-45mg being on the high end. Long story short, I'd stick with what is working for you @ 30mg total per day.

All the best.

T

tristen22001

Awards
You are welcome.

I've seen dosing ranging all the way up to 600mg without any adverse affects noted. Doses are typically dependent on the reason you are taking zinc in the first place. For example, 80-200mg/day is used for macular degeneration.

For your needs, 15-30mg is considered a solid dose with 25-45mg being on the high end. Long story short, I'd stick with what is working for you @ 30mg total per day.

All the best.
Wow! Can't imagine taking 600 mg.

Well, I'm really taking 45 mg daily. The extra 30 mg was on top of the 15 mg I already take in my multivitamin. I've only been taking it for two weeks though. So far it seems to reduce my anxiety and irritability a lot. I'm much calmer at work and home. It reminds me a lot of the effects magnesium has on me but zinc doesn't make me sleepy.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Wow! Can't imagine taking 600 mg.

Well, I'm really taking 45 mg daily. The extra 30 mg was on top of the 15 mg I already take in my multivitamin. I've only been taking it for two weeks though. So far it seems to reduce my anxiety and irritability a lot. I'm much calmer at work and home. It reminds me a lot of the effects magnesium has on me but zinc doesn't make me sleepy.
Yeah I mean the RDA in the USA is 15mg. Other dosages were meant to treat specific ailments and not necessarily every day. Just wanted to let you know if you went over a bit not too worry about safety.

Also, if you are participating in exercise, zinc is a mineral that gets excreted with sweat...hence the reason it is often supplemented by athletes due to zinc depletion.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would probably say before bed because zma is usually taken before bed.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I would probably say before bed because zma is usually taken before bed.
Typically that is for better sleep and POSSIBLE increases in testosterone if deficient though. I think OP is more interested in the "calming effect" and sense of well being/mood enhancement aspect. In which case most of the studies show twice daily dosing split up.

But, it probably wouldn't make too much difference.

U

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi Are you saying if you're taking zinc gluconate and aiming for a dose of 50mg you should be taking 385mg rather than a 50mg dose? This does seem a rather large dosage and not in keeping with the recommended maximum dosage on my bottle.

T

tristen22001

Awards
Yeah I mean the RDA in the USA is 15mg. Other dosages were meant to treat specific ailments and not necessarily every day. Just wanted to let you know if you went over a bit not too worry about safety.

Also, if you are participating in exercise, zinc is a mineral that gets excreted with sweat...hence the reason it is often supplemented by athletes due to zinc depletion.
Okay. Thank you.

Typically that is for better sleep and POSSIBLE increases in testosterone if deficient though. I think OP is more interested in the "calming effect" and sense of well being/mood enhancement aspect. In which case most of the studies show twice daily dosing split up.

But, it probably wouldn't make too much difference.
I'm definitely more interested in the calming effect. I just take magnesium before bed to help me sleep.

Hi Are you saying if you're taking zinc gluconate and aiming for a dose of 50mg you should be taking 385mg rather than a 50mg dose? This does seem a rather large dosage and not in keeping with the recommended maximum dosage on my bottle.
Based on the post by kboxer7, if I wanted 50 mg of elemental zinc then I would need to take 385 mg of zinc gluconate. It seems most supplements ignore what the zinc is bound to and instead just list the amount of elemental magnesium.

S

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
@kboxer ..Any issues taking a multi during the day and ZMA before going to bed?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
@kboxer ..Any issues taking a multi during the day and ZMA before going to bed?
The upper limit (UL) as stated by Mayo Clinic is 40mg/day as basically guaranteed safe. I had trouble finding any negative indications until you get up to 100mg/day, so you should be ok presuming you don't have some odd medical condition I'm unaware of.

ZMA supplements typically follow a 30mg zinc (200% RDA), 450mg Magnessium (113% RDA) formula. And most multis give you 100% or less of zinc (15mg). By those standards you would only be going over the established upper limit by 5mg (which is basically nothing).

That said, I am not a doctor, so if you do have any specific health concerns I would always suggest referring to a health professional before starting or continuing a regimen.

S

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the response....... I haven't taken either a multi or ZMA for quite some time so I think I'll try ZMA to see how I feel.

T

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
what if youre taking animal pak would it be good to add aditional zinc?

S

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
what if youre taking animal pak would it be good to add aditional zinc?
Thinking it would depend on how much zinc is in AP..... I'm gathering that 30-40 mg of supplemental zinc is safe and beyond that is up to the individual. Hopefully I'm understanding that right.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Orange triad has 30 mg of zinc and I have optimum ZMA on hand, which contains 30 mg of zinc. Can I safely take both OT and ZMA?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Orange triad has 30 mg of zinc and I have optimum ZMA on hand, which contains 30 mg of zinc. Can I safely take both OT and ZMA?
I'll repeat : )

The upper limit (UL) as stated by Mayo Clinic is 40mg/day as basically guaranteed safe. I had trouble finding any negative indications until you get up to 100mg/day, so you should be ok presuming you don't have some odd medical condition I'm unaware of.

60mg shouldn't give you any issues...

That said, I am not a doctor, so if you do have any specific health concerns I would always suggest referring to a health professional before starting or continuing a regimen.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great information with direct feedback glad to see this covered correctly!

U

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What would be the benefit of taking this extra dosage? I havent seen any convincing data backing dosing above 50 mg of zinc. Why do you think more is better?

T

tristen22001

Awards
I'll repeat : )

60mg shouldn't give you any issues...

I have a follow-up question if you don't mind. I've been reading that it's best to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach since things like calcium (and magnesium to a lesser extent) can compete with it for absorption. However, others state that zinc on an empty stomach makes them feel nauseous and that it's best to take it with food. Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on this and/or know of a zinc form that should be easier on the stomach if not taken with food?

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed lately that taking an extra 15 mg of zinc twice each day has been having a very calming affect on my anxiety. It also seems to increase my libido a lot. I was wondering what the best type and dosage is for long-term supplementing? I see zinc picolinate mentioned a lot but it seems like a lot of the ones sold online are in 50 mg doses. Is that okay for daily use or would it cause a copper imbalance. I do get a lot of copper each day with all the mixed nuts I eat.
magnesium is also one i would rec greatly with it. or a ZMA blend. one dose before bed and other whenever IMO

T

tristen22001

Awards
magnesium is also one i would rec greatly with it. or a ZMA blend. one dose before bed and other whenever IMO
Magnesium is a great recommendation. I take magnesium glycinate before bed. I occasionally use Cron-O-Meter to track my daily nutrients and it seems I'm consistently low in folate, zinc and magnesium but high in things like copper. Just in case there is even slight competition for absorption between zinc and magnesium, I like to take it during the daytime. Especially since it seems to help keep me calm without also making me sleepy like magnesium.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I have a follow-up question if you don't mind. I've been reading that it's best to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach since things like calcium (and magnesium to a lesser extent) can compete with it for absorption. However, others state that zinc on an empty stomach makes them feel nauseous and that it's best to take it with food. Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on this and/or know of a zinc form that should be easier on the stomach if not taken with food?
I've never really had a problem with zinc giving me any stomach issues on an empty stomach, but you are right about certain nutrients hindering absorption.

Try dosing about an hour or two from any meals and see how that treats you. I personally take ZMA and use it before bed.

T

tristen22001

Awards
I've never really had a problem with zinc giving me any stomach issues on an empty stomach, but you are right about certain nutrients hindering absorption.

Try dosing about an hour or two from any meals and see how that treats you. I personally take ZMA and use it before bed.
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^As an opposing anecdote, i personally do get nauseas and will even vomit on occasion if i take zinc without food in my stomach. Only way to know for yourself is try it out and see what happens. If i catch the nausea in time i can typically just eat something and it will subside after a bit.

T

tristen22001

Awards
^As an opposing anecdote, i personally do get nauseas and will even vomit on occasion if i take zinc without food in my stomach. Only way to know for yourself is try it out and see what happens. If i catch the nausea in time i can typically just eat something and it will subside after a bit.
It appears I have the same reactions. About 30 minutes after trying 11 mg of zinc picolinate on an empty stomach I started to get extremely nauseous. Eating something did help some but I still feel pretty sick to my stomach. I won't be trying that again.