soy promotes eostrogen, thoughts?

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
i have read a fair few articles that have mixed evidence and opinions on the issue. soy has been shown to have a few pros and cons, for eg. helping to prevent heart disease but is also linked to promoting eostrogen. some people think its a good addition to your diet whilst others wouldn't go near it.
i personally take up to 1-1.5L litres soy milk per day since i am allergic to regular milk and eggs. soy enables me to hit my protein target as its cheap and easy, but i also dont want soy to be raise my eostrogen levels abnormally.
what do you think of soy? is the amount im taking too much? and if i continue to take 1-1.5L per day would an eostrogen blocker maybe be a possible solution?

anyhow hopefully i dont grow a vagina anytime soon and sorry if this topic has already been discussed before :p

thanks

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Switch to almond milk. This soy vs estrogen debate goes on here all the time. Popcorn at the ready for the heated arguments!

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
Switch to almond milk. This soy vs estrogen debate goes on here all the time. Popcorn at the ready for the heated arguments!
ill give it a crack, im allergic to most nuts too but that should be alright. hahah i havent noticed any thus far, im new here, but i know it'd be something that people could debate on forever, it would be pretty entertaining hahah. thanks for the input though :)

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
ill give it a crack, im allergic to most nuts too but that should be alright. hahah i havent noticed any thus far, im new here, but i know it'd be something that people could debate on forever, it would be pretty entertaining hahah. thanks for the input though :)
Could give coconut milk a try. Pretty tasty and some good options out there at the stores now.

As for soy.... isoflavones (Genistein and Daidzein specifically) that are found in most soy products do mimic estrogen to some extent. These isoflavones are found in concentrations ranging from 1-10mg/100g of soybeans, which in processed foods comes out to about 20-45% isoflavones.

However, for the most part studies have shown that while testosterone IS (or can be) negatively affected to some degree, the degree to which this occurs is not likely to cause any noticeable problems.

*Maskarinec G, et al Serum prostate-specific antigen but not testosterone levels decrease in a randomized soy intervention among men . Eur J Clin Nutr. (2006)

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
This again...oh boy. Look forward to another 50 pages of back and fourth!
You putting on the boxing gloves or grabbing popcorn for this one T-Bone lol.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You putting on the boxing gloves or grabbing popcorn for this one T-Bone lol.
Popcorn of course. I mostly don't participate in debates, it's exhausting and nothing ever seems to come from it. People either forget about or the thread gets deleted or locked....The cycle continues.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Popcorn of course. I mostly don't participate in debates, it's exhausting and nothing ever seems to come from it. People either forget about or the thread gets deleted or locked....The cycle continues.
Good call.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
i have read a fair few articles that have mixed evidence and opinions on the issue. soy has been shown to have a few pros and cons, for eg. helping to prevent heart disease but is also linked to promoting eostrogen. some people think its a good addition to your diet whilst others wouldn't go near it.
i personally take up to 1-1.5L litres soy milk per day since i am allergic to regular milk and eggs. soy enables me to hit my protein target as its cheap and easy, but i also dont want soy to be raise my eostrogen levels abnormally.
what do you think of soy? is the amount im taking too much? and if i continue to take 1-1.5L per day would an eostrogen blocker maybe be a possible solution?

anyhow hopefully i dont grow a vagina anytime soon and sorry if this topic has already been discussed before :p

thanks
I said this on my first day here almost got blown up in my honda haha had to delete thread in under 3 minutes .. good debate iam in !!!

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
I would like to know the truth so I can start eating my lecithin granules again

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I would like to know the truth so I can start wating my lecithin granules again
Lecithin granuals do not contain the isoflavones that are estrogenic in nature.

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
Could give coconut milk a try. Pretty tasty and some good options out there at the stores now.

As for soy.... isoflavones (Genistein and Daidzein specifically) that are found in most soy products do mimic estrogen to some extent. These isoflavones are found in concentrations ranging from 1-10mg/100g of soybeans, which in processed foods comes out to about 20-45% isoflavones.

However, for the most part studies have shown that while testosterone IS (or can be) negatively affected to some degree, the degree to which this occurs is not likely to cause any noticeable problems.

*Maskarinec G, et alSerum prostate-specific antigen but not testosterone levels decrease in a randomized soy intervention among men . Eur J Clin Nutr. (2006)
yeah coconut milk is pretty high in fat im pretty sure but it does taste good. my precious test levels :(
haha should be all good, ill try ease off on it a little if i can or find another alternative, thanks for the advice.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
yeah coconut milk is pretty high in fat im pretty sure but it does taste good. my precious test levels :(
haha should be all good, ill try ease off on it a little if i can or find another alternative, thanks for the advice.
No prob man. btw, brands such as "Silk Coconut Milk" have about 5g of fat per serving which is comparable to 2% dairy milk. Honestly if you look at the research I posted, a few cups of soy milk a day isn't gonna make a difference.

For me personally, I do like to optimize everything, so I limit soy quite a bit. The way I see it, even though soy won't make a difference on its own, there are so many environmental factors that have been proven to be affecting testosterone in males that I'm more concerned about the "cummulative" effect.

Men’s testosterone levels across all age groups have been plummeting over the last couple of decades and it is largely thought that environmental factors are the cause. As an example, a a 65-year-old man in 2002 would have testosterone levels 15 percent lower than those of a 65-year-old in 1987.

If interested look into the following as causes of lower T across the population:
- chlorpyrifos
- Carbaryl
- Phthalates
- heavy metals in general
- exposure to benzenes, toluene, xylene, herbicides, pesticides, organic solvents, painting materials

The list goes on....

anabolix

Awards
  • Established
I dumped soy milk a long time ago because of all the estrogen issues. Not worth it. I now use mostly almond milk, but also use coconut and cashew milk.

KillIt

Awards

thanks
I'm the same way, I have a lactose intolerance. The estrogen is so miniscule, I have no side effects. Ive been doing it for years. Also I could suggest lactose enzymes, they digest the dairyby giving your body the enzyme your pancreas lacks to secrete during digestion. Also if you really want you could take an anti estrogen if it really came down to it. But I personally use the lacase enzymes I get 500 for 20 dollars, and I personally enjoy milk more

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same way, I have a lactose intolerance. The estrogen is so miniscule, I have no side effects. Ive been doing it for years. Also I could suggest lactose enzymes, they digest the dairyby giving your body the enzyme your pancreas lacks to secrete during digestion. Also if you really want you could take an anti estrogen if it really came down to it. But I personally use the lacase enzymes I get 500 for 20 dollars, and I personally enjoy milk more
Have you tried the new Fairlife brand milk? It has NO LACTOSE, 1/2 the sugar and fat as normal milk, AND 2x the Protein. Granted it is a tad expensive, but I love it.

It is REAL MILK, they just filter out the lactose and extra sugars/fats.

KillIt

Awards
No I've never heard of it but I'll have to try it thanks man!

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
dont make your diet over 50% soya and i wouldent worry much. its good for you IMO. I use it almost daily, but not in big amounts. i would be more worried about eating canned food or other things with crap in it that disrupt hormones.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
While almond milk and coconut are nice substitutions the OP I believe is using the soy milk as a source of protein which those two will not supply. There are plenty of non soy non dairy/egg protein powders out there now that you could also use OP.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From personal experience i would say that soy definitely raises estrogen.

Me and my Ex were eating a lot of soy products when we were still together. She
was taking in even more then i was. At the time, we though it was the healthy way
to go. 2 things occurred. She started to get these red bumps all over her chest,
and the doctor told her these came from high estrogen levels.

I on the other hand, started to get bloated, additional fat on my chest and i started to lose my libido.

Moral of the story. I don't eat soy products any longer. Except maybe soy sauce occasionally,

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
Not a fan at all. My girlfriend is Seventh Day Adventist and almost all of them are vegetarians. Most of them get a lot of their protein from Soy products and it just seems like so many of them have tons of allergies and health issues even though they try to live a fairly healthy lifestyle. Just my 2 cents

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
No prob man. btw, brands such as "Silk Coconut Milk" have about 5g of fat per serving which is comparable to 2% dairy milk. Honestly if you look at the research I posted, a few cups of soy milk a day isn't gonna make a difference.

For me personally, I do like to optimize everything, so I limit soy quite a bit. The way I see it, even though soy won't make a difference on its own, there are so many environmental factors that have been proven to be affecting testosterone in males that I'm more concerned about the "cummulative" effect.

Men’s testosterone levels across all age groups have been plummeting over the last couple of decades and it is largely thought that environmental factors are the cause. As an example, a a 65-year-old man in 2002 would have testosterone levels 15 percent lower than those of a 65-year-old in 1987.

If interested look into the following as causes of lower T across the population:
- chlorpyrifos
- Carbaryl
- Phthalates
- heavy metals in general
- exposure to benzenes, toluene, xylene, herbicides, pesticides, organic solvents, painting materials

The list goes on....
thats nuts, i was unaware of the dropping test rates, hopefully all of us in the forum can keep our test levels higher than the rest of the population! but some of what you listed seems quite difficult to avoid haha

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
I dumped soy milk a long time ago because of all the estrogen issues. Not worth it. I now use mostly almond milk, but also use coconut and cashew milk.
yeah thats fair enough, ill have to give almond milk another try. dont think i enjoyed it too much the first time hahah. oat milk is meant to be okay aswell i think

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
While almond milk and coconut are nice substitutions the OP I believe is using the soy milk as a source of protein which those two will not supply. There are plenty of non soy non dairy/egg protein powders out there now that you could also use OP.
yeah the other milks dont compare as well when it comes to protein, i use a different source of protein for protein shakes but i have soy milk with breakfast and other meals occaisionally.

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
From personal experience i would say that soy definitely raises estrogen.

Me and my Ex were eating a lot of soy products when we were still together. She
was taking in even more then i was. At the time, we though it was the healthy way
to go. 2 things occurred. She started to get these red bumps all over her chest,
and the doctor told her these came from high estrogen levels.

I on the other hand, started to get bloated, additional fat on my chest and i started to lose my libido.

Moral of the story. I don't eat soy products any longer. Except maybe soy sauce occasionally,
thats crazy how much were you having though? i dont feel like my soy intake has affected me at all yet but thats because i dont know any better. have had it since i was little. thanks though i will try and avoid it when possible

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
yeah it sucks, im not lactose im allergic to it, i was waiting to grow out of the allergy but never happened. do you think an anti eostrogen would be a reasonable route to take?

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
dont make your diet over 50% soya and i wouldent worry much. its good for you IMO. I use it almost daily, but not in big amounts. i would be more worried about eating canned food or other things with crap in it that disrupt hormones.
it is generally seen to be healthy amongst the wider population but a no go zone for bodybuilders hahah

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
People still believe that soy effects estrogen to a point at which it produces a noticeable change? lol

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you are that concerned and only using it with a couple meals a day. I would simply eat more of the protein part of the meal if you are that concerned.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
How much soy products are you guys using that it is giving you estrogen issues?

KillIt

Awards
yeah it sucks, im not lactose im allergic to it, i was waiting to grow out of the allergy but never happened. do you think an anti eostrogen would be a reasonable route to take?
Asmall amount once a week should do it, your not currently cycling are you?

Bodybeast

Awards
  • Established
Carbmaster milk from Kroger. Best thing ever. 12 g of protein, lactose free, fat free.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
A little bit of soy isn't going to do anything even noteworthy but some people act as if soy is pure estrogen and any sides are made up in your head or due to something else.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Carbmaster milk from Kroger. Best thing ever. 12 g of protein, lactose free, fat free.
I guess maybe for poverty macros. Man is it expensive compared to a gallon of 1%. I mean, 4 more grams of protein isn't worth the cost to me (I can add a Tbs of Vanilla protein if I need the 4g), I can fit 13g of carbs, and *some* milk fat is good for you. Other than maybe contest prep, I just don't see how you can't fit 1% milk into your daily intake?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Whatever you do, don't eat soy that has been artificially sweetened with something like Splenda. Your health will be ruined foooorrrreeeeevvverrrr.

Sorry - sarcasm on the net.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Whatever you do, don't eat soy that has been artificially sweetened with something like Splenda. Your health will be ruined foooorrrreeeeevvverrrr.

Sorry - sarcasm on the net.
Or at least be sure to run a proper PCT or just cycle off of it every other week.