Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
krill is substantially more expensive than fish oil...is it worth the extra cost?

i usually just take 1 krill daily but may take up to 8 fish oil. just noticed i am almost out of krill and just wondering if it is worth the money to buy more, or just stick with fish oil?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I'd say the "extra" benefits are:

1. Contains the antioxidant astaxanthin which has been shown to aid in eye health with some research showing it is better than lutein.
2. Strong anti-inflamatory
3. Less/no "fish burps"
4. Most all the same other benefits fish oil has
5. "Possible" lipid lowering and arthritic pain reduction research but not conclusive.

Does that make it worth the substantially higher cost? Up to you, but for me its not. Now, if I had really bad eyes/eyesight then maybe it'd be worth throwing some in. Just my opinion.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'd say the "extra" benefits are:

1. Contains the antioxidant astaxanthin which has been shown to aid in eye health with some research showing it is better than lutein.
2. Strong anti-inflamatory
3. Less/no "fish burps"
4. Most all the same other benefits fish oil has
5. "Possible" lipid lowering and arthritic pain reduction research but not conclusive.

Does that make it worth the substantially higher cost? Up to you, but for me its not. Now, if I had really bad eyes/eyesight then maybe it'd be worth throwing some in. Just my opinion.
at my age those look like some very good benefits, lol.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
at my age those look like some very good benefits, lol.
Haha I hear you. I'm not that old yet but years of kickboxing has really beat up my body. btw, astaxanthin is a carotenoid metabolized similar to Vit A (fat soluble) so you might want to take your krill oil with a meal containing some fat.

For LDL reduction a nice study showed large drops @ 3000mg krill and 1800mg fish oil combo, and another using just krill @ 1-3g daily.
*Altern Med Rev. 2004 Dec;9(4):420-8.
*Lipids. 2011 Jan;46(1):37-46. doi: 10.1007/s11745-010-3490-4. Epub 2010 Nov 2.

AND watch out for this lol...

Can cause feces to turn a reddish hue
*Okada Y, Ishikura M, Maoka T Bioavailability of astaxanthin in Haematococcus algal extract: the effects of timing of diet and smoking habits . Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. (2009)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i found 2 more bottles of sundown naturals-triple strength red KRILL OIL 1000mg, 60 rapid release softgels at krogers for $4.99 each...going to take 1 a day along with my fish oil, should last me awhile!!!