Can vitamin K have a big impact on muscle growth

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
An old wise man once told me vitamin k and k2 play a big role in muscle growth . What do you guys think ?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure it plays a large role. There may be some auxiliary benefits that aid in performance and thus improved muscle growth but that might be it. Here are a few mechanisms that may play a role:

1. Higher levels of vitamin K do provide benefits for cardiovascular (enhanced blood flow) and bone health (specifically bone mineral density).

2. K2 may also help with regulating insulin sensitivity. 30mg of K2 (split into 3 x 10mg doses daily) enhanced insulin sensitivity in one study that I found.

3. Vit K is involved in regulating a protein called Gas6 which is thought to be a cellular growth regulation factor. So addequate vit K may enhance cell growth to an extent, though it seems more research on this is needed.

Hope that helps a bit.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I'm not sure it plays a large role. There may be some auxiliary benefits that aid in performance and thus improved muscle growth but that might be it. Here are a few mechanisms that may play a role:

1. Higher levels of vitamin K do provide benefits for cardiovascular (enhanced blood flow) and bone health (specifically bone mineral density).

2. K2 may also help with regulating insulin sensitivity. 30mg of K2 (split into 3 x 10mg doses daily) enhanced insulin sensitivity in one study that I found.

3. Vit K is involved in regulating a protein called Gas6 which is thought to be a cellular growth regulation factor. So addequate vit K may enhance cell growth to an extent, though it seems more research on this is needed.

Hope that helps a bit.
Yes perfect. "3."is what gave me the idea my uncles a retired scientist . We have fun disputes over these things. half the time I wonder if he is pulling my chain or not . I like leafy greens . how much spinach would you have to eat to see benefits the vitamin k ? Id say it would be a long term investment.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My thought is their all relatively cheap so just pick up a few bottles of them and experiment ha

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thebigt found a fantastic sales on a blend of K2, calcium and D3 at his local Kroger in early June. I'd post the link but not enough posts yet... :-(

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
So using a vitamin K blend is useful, didn't know about that but interested to try, thanks for the tip :)

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
LEF sells multiple ratios of different Ks

as far as how impactful' it is, no clue in practical sense, but in all reality we should all be eating things containing K anyways

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Im looking for bulk units
hmm...

not sure man, not on any of my usual bulk sites. might be easier to find a bulk greens like Alfalfa Grass Powder or something although i realize thats not specifically what youre asking for lol.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
hmm...

not sure man, not on any of my usual bulk sites. might be easier to find a bulk greens like Alfalfa Grass Powder or something although i realize thats not specifically what youre asking for lol.
Thanks it helps ... i just wanted to grab some for a study im doing.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eat a bag of spinach or kale and you get your daily vitamin k... From the source

You need k and dietary fat to absorb d3-> d3 raises test

So yea... Vitamin k is a good thing... Vitamins and minerals are good for your muscles.. Shocking :p

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
An old wise man once told me vitamin k and k2 play a big role in muscle growth . What do you guys think ?

Awesome read for this subject.

Vitamin K

Your body needs vitamin K for two important reasons; to help wounds heal properly, by making sure your blood clots, and to keep your bones strong and healthy. There is also some research which shows that vitamin K may help to protect against developing conditions like heart disease, prostate cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.

Vitamin K is important in making sure that the calcium you get from foods or supplements is used in your bones. Vitamin D and vitamin K work together to strengthen your bones and to help them develop properly.

There are two main types of vitamin K.

Vitamin K1, which comes from leafy green vegetables like kale, chard and spinach.
Vitamin K2, which comes from meats (organ meats in particular, such as liver), eggs, insects and hard cheeses. This type of vitamin K2 is called MK-4. There is also a different kind of vitamin K2, called MK-7, which comes from natto.
Vitamin K can also be taken as a supplement, either as K1 or K2, and the K2 can be either MK-4 or MK-7.

Which type?

Research is still trying to sort it all out, but research is showing that you likely need both vitamin K1 and K2.

The National Academy of Sciences has set Adequate Intake (AI) levels for vitamin K, which is the amount that adults and children need every day.

National Academy of Sciences has set Adequate Intake (AI) levels for vitamin K:
Children under 1 year 2-2.5 mcg
Children 1-3 years 30 mcg
Children 4-13 years 55-60 mcg
Adolescents 14-18 years 75 mcg
Adult men 120 mcg
Adult women 90 mcg
Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding 75-90 mcg
Caution!

If you’re taking blood thinning medicines, such as Warfarin or Coumadin, don’t take vitamin K supplements. This is because it may affect how well your blood clots.

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
Company called life extensions has a combo of Vit K

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NP..there is a combo of K and Fish oil as well. Article about it in a crossfit book I had. Said it was the better option, bottle costs $55 though.
General rule of thumb is Don't believe anything you read in a crossfit book that is associated to Fitness, nutrition or supplementation...

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
NP..there is a combo of K and Fish oil as well. Article about it in a crossfit book I had. Said it was the better option, bottle costs $55 though.
Wow thats insane ... i bet it has good ratings. Its almost survival season camping trip so i want to load up on K1 and K2 °°° all my other vitamins are fine .

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
General rule of thumb is Don't believe anything you read in a crossfit book that is associated to Fitness, nutrition or supplementation...
I haven't tried it myself. My thought was just adding a vit K combo to my fish oil. Seems the same to me. But there is an option out there.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I am excited to see how this works for me after 4 to 6 weeks of cycling.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
probably not the vitamin you want to "experiment" with regardless of the cost....
please expand on your thoughts on K forms sir. was curious myself if its worthwhile to add in, although eating a healthy diet is an obvious no brainer.

3RT

Awards
Long time ago (~2003) I read that vicasol (water soluble vit. K) raises GH in human (beside usual suspects like niacin and certain aminos). Though it's trombocytes aggregator, 'blood thicker', could be issue for somebody. Research needed I suppose.
As for K2, it's very beneficial for bones and arteries. Carlsson and Thorne have decently dosed sg and drops respectively. And out of food milk fat seems to be the best source. As Chis Kresser said (kind of), want healthy CVS - eat your butter.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I know it's the supplement section, but spinach and kale are high in Vit. K, amongst numerous other vitamins, mineral and phytonutrients.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i found jarrow formulas MK-7 on closeout at krogers for $1.89. i bought 8 bottles. it is 90mcg of vitamin k2 as menaquinone-7, 60 softgels per bottle. i have been taking 2 per day split into 2 doses=180mcg daily.

been taking it for close to a month, still on 1st bottle. i actually feel some improvement in my knees and neck and shoulders[slight case of arthritis]. i gave my 84 year old mother a bottle to try and she says her joints feel better too, going to give her another bottle and see!!! i have also been dosing calcium and d3 with it and of course fish oil!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I know it's the supplement section, but spinach and kale are high in Vit. K, amongst numerous other vitamins, mineral and phytonutrients.
it says on label of my MK-7...MK-7 is an enhanced bioactive form of vitamin k2 found naturally occurring in natto that is ten times better absorbed than K1 from spinach.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it says on label of my MK-7...MK-7 is an enhanced bioactive form of vitamin k2 found naturally occurring in natto that is ten times better absorbed than K1 from spinach.
It is soy derived and may contribute to rise in estrogen

The only MK-7 I found not soy derived is made by mercola and is about 22 bucks for a months worth at effective doses

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It is soy derived and may contribute to rise in estrogen

The only MK-7 I found not soy derived is made by mercola and is about 22 bucks for a months worth at effective doses
the jarrow formula M-7 are very tiny softgels, how much soy could possibly be in them? probably get a higher rise in estrogen by microwaving food in plastic dish, imo.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could always consider MK4. This is the form the that your body will ultimately convert MK7 (and other forms) to for use. This is also the form that most of the studies done with K2 have utilized. However, the supplemental form is synthetic and has much shorter half life than MK7. Some individuals may prefer MK7 for these reasons. Marketing companies make a big deal about one form being better than another but it's not a hill I'm willing to die on ;-). Personally, I'm taking 15mg (yep, that's milligrams not micro grams) of MK4 per day. I chose MK4 mainly because I could get it in the does I wanted to take. In terms of MK7 and estrogen, even though I tend to be anti soy to a fault, I would think that amount of E you'd get from MK7 derived from Natto would be quite small if not irrelevant. But that is conjecture.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You could always consider MK4. This is the form the that your body will ultimately convert MK7 (and other forms) to for use. This is also the form that most of the studies done with K2 have utilized. However, the supplemental form is synthetic and has much shorter half life than MK7. Some individuals may prefer MK7 for these reasons. Marketing companies make a big deal about one form being better than another but it's not a hill I'm willing to die on ;-). Personally, I'm taking 15mg (yep, that's milligrams not micro grams) of MK4 per day. I chose MK4 mainly because I could get it in the does I wanted to take. In terms of MK7 and estrogen, even though I tend to be anti soy to a fault, I would think that amount of E you'd get from MK7 derived from Natto would be quite small if not irrelevant. But that is conjecture.
i chose MK-7 because it was $1.89 a bottle.