AM lifters and CARB BL

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any early AM lifters doing carbs all post-AM training only?

Results?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Results?
I was doing this for ages until I starting working 5-6am shifts. Works a charm.

Results are hard to gauge because I did it for so long. It was a decision I made because I preferred carb heavy meals later in the day. More preference than anyhing

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sup Jiigzz. How are ya man.

You kept the carbs to PWO in the AM (post AM training) correct?

That's what I'm going to attempt. This low carb lifestyle needs a makeover.

Going to do Fats and Proteins and incidental carbs from greens for the remainder of the day.

Will post experiences. Tomorrow is day one.

Carbs hate me - longggg time low carber so the results will be interesting and perhaps the exception not the rule.

This is obviously not an earth-shattering study here - lol. I am merely keeping my carbs near training only.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Sup Jiigzz. How are ya man.

You kept the carbs to PWO in the AM (post AM training) correct?

That's what I'm going to attempt. This low carb lifestyle needs a makeover.

Going to do Fats and Proteins and incidental carbs from greens for the remainder of the day.

Will post experiences. Tomorrow is day one.

Carbs hate me - longggg time low carber so the results will be interesting and perhaps the exception not the rule.

This is obviously not an earth-shattering study here - lol. I am merely keeping my carbs near training only.
Good man, and yourself?

Ive done it all pretty much. Later in the day only, post training only, peri workout, pre only, spread out and so on.

Preferred peri workout carbs only over the rest but post training was better than pre for me. Greens, fats and proteins at other times made my energy and mood more stable and j was less likely to binge

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can't complain man. Just keeping the fight on middle age alive. Lol.

Gotcha. We might be wired similarly bc I just don't do well w pre-carbs at all and function optimally on protein and fats as well.

Thanks for the input.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Can't complain man. Just keeping the fight on middle age alive. Lol.

Gotcha. We might be wired similarly bc I just don't do well w pre-carbs at all and function optimally on protein and fats as well.

Thanks for the input.
Answer will vary from everyone who has tried it just like anything in nutrition

I myself do this with carbs later in the day and train upon waking Google "Biorythm Diet" Borge outlines that people may experience better sleep from carbs before bed for early AM training

I found it helps me sleep better, fuel morning training and give great results for ME and that may differ for everyone else

I usually mix 10g BCAA and some carbs (glycofuse) for around my workouts some like them some some do not

It's all about experiment my Post WO meal is P+F and then rest of meals as day go on is more P and C based

If I train later in day I'll eat P and F meals
Up to workout use peri workout carbs and then carbs after training and I find my energy great off P+F alone and have made great progress doing this kind of a setup the last 2-3 years

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice. I will check it out now. Thanks mangg

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just read some crib notes. Very similar to CBL

I work early out in the AM. Typically fasted.

Will play around w the peri and post carbs.

Pre-carbs are the devil for me.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I train in the morning fasted as well. I don't do well trying to pack in a pre-workout meal, and I don't feel like waking up earlier than 4am just to eat haha. I typically take in 80% of my carbs post workout. I've found great results doing this, as long as your daily calories are set to fit your goals. I've done several lean bulks and cuts with this method and it hasn't failed me yet!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good info.

How have u tweaked ur diet to accommodate the different goals (bulk vs cut)

PS: I am not sure taking in 80% of your carbs pwo is the same as the Biorythm diet or CBL.

I think that would simply qualify as timing your carbs.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Good info.

PS: I am not sure taking in 80% of your carbs pwo is the same as the Biorythm diet or CBL.

I think that would simply qualify as timing your carbs.
Its 100% of my starchy carbs for the day. The rest of the day I just eat protein, fat, and green vegetables. Its not precisely carb backloading, but the concept of taking in the majority of your carbs post workout is a similar idea, and it works very well.

I typically keep protein and fats about the same in any diet scheme. Typically 200-230g protein and 50-70g of fat. Then I add in carbs to meet my calorie intake. So if I'm trying to add size I'll eat more carbs (usually ends up falling between 300 and 400g), and if I'm dieting down I'll eat less (100-200g on an all-out cut).

I also incorporate carb cycling into this program too. Since my carbs are all in one meal, its very easy to manipulate my intake and cycle my carbs. This method works especially well when I'm dieting

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff brother thx for sharing

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Good info.

Just change your total calories thats all
Focus on P+F early in day and more carbs as day goes on.
Use peri-Workout carbs if you want to
Simple.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I actually do an odd version of IF where I lift first thing in the AM, and continue the fast until a shake roughly at 2pm and then two full meals between 6pm and 10pm. BCAA/EAA's pre and intra.

I've held the most muscle while cutting ever (by a long shot) this way.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Boone: All that old school bro logic still gets in my head. That screams catabolism to me. Lol.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Answer will vary from everyone who has tried it just like anything in nutrition

I myself do this with carbs later in the day and train upon waking Google "Biorythm Diet" Borge outlines that people may experience better sleep from carbs before bed for early AM training

I found it helps me sleep better, fuel morning training and give great results for ME and that may differ for everyone else

I usually mix 10g BCAA and some carbs (glycofuse) for around my workouts some like them some some do not

It's all about experiment my Post WO meal is P+F and then rest of meals as day go on is more P and C based

If I train later in day I'll eat P and F meals
Up to workout use peri workout carbs and then carbs after training and I find my energy great off P+F alone and have made great progress doing this kind of a setup the last 2-3 years
This is pretty much exactly what I do. I eat most of my carbs in the afternoon/evening and train fasted early the following morning. My workouts are noticeably better, endurance, strength, pump...everything. When I say most of my carbs, that is around 250-300g in the latter part of the day.
Also has me waking up looking full.

Post workout and the first couple meals of the day are high F and P with veggie carbs in there.

Can't beat the pump and sweat the morning after a fat bowl of Frosted Flakes before bed!!!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This is pretty much exactly what I do. I eat most of my carbs in the afternoon/evening and train fasted early the following morning. My workouts are noticeably better, endurance, strength, pump...everything. When I say most of my carbs, that is around 250-300g in the latter part of the day.
Also has me waking up looking full.

Post workout and the first couple meals of the day are high F and P with veggie carbs in there.

Can't beat the pump and sweat the morning after a fat bowl of Frosted Flakes before bed!!!
Reese Puffs & French Toast Crunch FTW :)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol. I can dig it :p

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Boone: All that old school bro logic still gets in my head. That screams catabolism to me. Lol.
Haha I hear you. I really started it out of necessity due to my job change and erratic schedule. I've always been a total bro when it comes to both meal timing and composition but have been straying out of necessity and actually seeing better results.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I train at about 4-5 PM and have only fats, proteins, and vegetables (anyone that really thinks the 1-3g of carbs from broccoli actually matters needs a kick in the mouth). My lifts have not suffered despite the loss of leverage from losing 20# in 3 months and my total is all that matters to me. Carb consumption begins as soon as I take the bar in my hands and I aim for 250-300g of carbs at this moment.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just a heads up for any CBL guys, I've been doing it for a while now the traditional way with PM workouts.. works great, but I had such a hard time giving up sugar in my coffee.. most amazing thing I've found is dymatize elite cinnamon bun favored whey in coffee with a little cream.. better than sugar any day!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha. That sounds like the whip !!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just a heads up for any CBL guys, I've been doing it for a while now the traditional way with PM workouts.. works great, but I had such a hard time giving up sugar in my coffee.. most amazing thing I've found is dymatize elite cinnamon bun favored whey in coffee with a little cream.. better than sugar any day!
totally concur with this. I was just raving about the dymatize cinn bun casein to GNO the other day.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
totally concur with this. I was just raving about the dymatize cinn bun casein to GNO the other day.
I don't drink coffee but that is interesting ...I am thinking cinnamon + mocha or coffee flavoured pancakes.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I don't drink coffee but that is interesting ...I am thinking cinnamon + mocha or coffee flavoured pancakes.
This is what you need:

I use this with Splenda + SF Coffee Syrup
Tastes great with SnickerDoodle Coffee or Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Coffee

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone use Trehalose? Low insulinogenic sugar. EBF turned me on to Palatinose. It didn't work so well. Same odd lethargy I get w regular carbs.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Anyone use Trehalose? Low insulinogenic sugar. EBF turned me on to Palatinose. It didn't work so well. Same odd lethargy I get w regular carbs.
I wonder what your amylase is like now

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trashed like everything else. I'm old and worn out man. Lol

On a serious note, my insulin sensitivity levels are brutal due to a high fat low carb diet for 20+ years.

I feel great but I need to find a way to get my muscle bellies full (glycogen). That's the one down side to LC - I am "flat" 24/7.

Love being lean year round and good mental clarity but this side (above) sucks.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm guilty of following the broscience notion that carbs are needed post workout. I've been guilty of this for decades. The fact is its all broscience.

Coingestion of carbohydrate with protein does not further augment postexercise muscle protein synthesis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Sep;293(3):E833-42. Epub 2007 Jul 3.

Carbohydrate does not augment exercise-induced protein accretion versus protein alone. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jul;43(7):1154-61. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e31820751cb.
Now what I have really found to work for me is intra carbs then just a whey shake in water post workout. Intra carbs in the form of HBCD's between 75-100gms in 1500ml water sipped through the workout. Some add aminos or Peptopro too and that's fine. Zero stomach issues and still hungry post workout to be able to down a whey shake.

I train in the AM fasted and the intra shake is great. Within 20 minutes I get a great pump from the carbs and it's awesome if you are dieting on low carbs whereas the intra shake is like 90% of my carb intake for the day.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Results?
also another reason why carbs later at night may help you for AM Sessions

Plenty of benefits to late night carbs.

1) Aid Fatloss
2) Aid Seretonin levels
3) Improve Cognitive Function (Thinking)
4) Aid Deeper Sleep

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?108-The-Biorhythm-Diet

http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/06/15/why-nutritional-dogma-dies-hard/

http://www.simplyshredded.com/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman.html

Well a new study has demonstrated that subjects eating most of their carbs at dinner actually lost MORE bodyfat than subjects who ate them earlier in the day!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html/

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah its nuts eating carbs later in the day would benefit fat loss but I think it works if carbs are limited earlier in the day.

I know when I have a cheat meal at night my morning workouts are great.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ive tried cbl, anabolic diet and tkd for the past year. I personally have found that carbs around and during my workout are most optimal for me. I also have noticed that my body comp is better on whole food sources of carbs, your bro foods if you will. When i cut the sugar out, but eat the bro carbs, i find that i stay full but keep fat gain to a minimql or actually drop fat. I have found also found that frequent use of high glycemic carbs and sugars (as prescribed in cbl) is detrimental for me. My energy is off and some days i look great, some days i look and feel horrible. I personally think that the traditional bro foods are more optimal and more consistent, dont taste as good, but they flat out work for me.