Question for my woman

Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

Awards
Hi, I have a somewhat interesting question ...

I'm seeing great results from my recomp because I know my body and how it adapts. I know how to manipulate things around to keep seeing gains, and understand enough about diet/routines to keep things moving along.

My girl is trying her darndest to loose weight for our upcoming wedding. A few things:

1. She has PCOS (insulin resistance).

2. She's doing cardio 4x week, weights 2x week

3. Low calorie/low carb diet -- 200-300 under maintenence, less than 100 grams of carbs daily

She's not seeing the weight loss she'd like. I know she's working out enough and eating clean -- but the fat isn't coming off. I can't help but think her insulin resistance might also be leading to elevated levels of cortisol, hence the stubborn belly fat.

She hasn't taken any supps besides garnica (sp?) -- and didn't really see any results. She hasn't taken any fat burners or stims -- and I don't see her doing so.

So, what do you guys think about her trying to use Reduce-XT for the cortisol, and NOW's Thyroid Energy (for insulin resistance, general thyroid health).

I can't see any possible negatives here, the Thyroid Energy isn't hormonal in itself -- but it might help balance her own natural T2/T3/T4 levels.

What do you guys think of my line of reasoning here? Any other ideas?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How long has she been dieting?

And what caloric intake is she at?

And I would swap the cardio to weights training and have her be doing 4 weight training sessions and 2 cardio sessions if possible.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I wouldn't bother with aforementioned supplements.

Forskolin maybe,

Her thyroid been tested?

Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

Awards
She's been dieting since Jan 1st -- she's eating about 1500 calories a day. She's not a weight lifter at all and all of this is new to her. I'm FINALLY getting through to her that Weight Watchers is crap. A banana is zero points? What about the sugar in it?! Don't eat all day and then blow your points on McDonald's at night? No, you can't spot-reduce fat. Doing crunches isn't going to get rid of belly fat. It's crap like that I've been having to deprogram her from.

I'm finally getting her to start looking at her macros, and convincing her that fat does not make you fat. Well, it can but not in the way most people think.

I know that cardio's after-burn is negligible, but she's stubborn about doing it. She sees all the anorexic chicks on the recumbent bikes and thinks that's how to get skinny. I don't want to lift with her, as I have my own goals. I can't do everything for her, she's going to have to step up and take some ownership of her weight loss.

I told her to just do machines for now since she's a newbie to resistance training. I'm suggesting 3 sets of 10 to failure, pretty standard? I'm thinking of setting up a two muscle group per workout split to keep it easy on her for now. At least I do have her trained now to start looking at her post-workout meal/snack.

If I can get her to do a 4-day split, maybe something like this:

Bi/Tri

Shoulder/Chest

back/stomach

Legs/butt

I'm thinking starting her off on opposing muscle groups...I told her to also make sure she does her resistance first before cardio as she wants to have maximum intensity.

The thing is, with her PCOS (polycistic ovarian syndrome) -- everything she eats gets turned into sugar and stored as fat. I'm amazed she's lost any weight at all (about 25 lbs since Jan) -- but not she's at a plateau ... a huge plateau. And you know fellas, somehow it's MY fault since my gains are still coming.

Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

Awards
She's had her hormones tested, she's been on glucophage before because of the PCOS. She's got some weird idea about some blueberry extract she was carrying on about the other day. Something about controlling blood sugar levels.

She probably could stand to have her thyroid checked again, but it's real touchy when I bring up doctors with her. Real touchy.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol at "your fault"! I'm married bro. I feel you pain and can relate. When my wife was pregnant I was in amazing shape both times. Lol. I was evil for doing it on purpose.
She really needs weight training. Keep it simple as possible. Squats, deads, bench. Talk her into HIIT cardio also. It will make a huge difference. My situation was very similar with my wife as far as de-programming. Also, get her on AM so she can see results and hear advice from other female lifters because anything you suggest will automatically be wrong! Lol

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
She's been dieting for over 6 months?

She probably needs a diet break honestly. You could try to bring calories up for 2-4 weeks slowly and then start reducing them again.

Abraham67

Abraham67

Awards
I would love to add more to this later as I'm at work, but I remember learning that vitamins b3, b6 and chromium can help with insulin resistance

Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

Awards
She's been dieting for over 6 months?

She probably needs a diet break honestly. You could try to bring calories up for 2-4 weeks slowly and then start reducing them again.
I'm thinking her body is in "starvation survival mode". I heard this the other night, "Myfitness pal says I need 300 more calories today!"

The next thing I know, I smell bacon cooking at 9pm. Girl goes and makes herself like 4 strips of bacon.

I'm really glad she's not doing these YouTube work outs by "Bikini Body Mommy" anymore. Those were annoying as hell and slowed my internet down when I wanted to play PS4.

She's aware of HIIT and does a variation of it on either the Arc Trainer or elliptical. She's had several ankle surgeries so the treadmill hurts after a bit. She's got a ton of screws in her feet from an old car accident.

Honestly I think she might be suffering from over training with the hour of cardio 4x weekly.

Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

Awards
One thing to keep in mind -- she's not loosing or gaining right now doing what she's doing. I'm afraid if she ups her calories she'll gain weight and get discouraged.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
An hour of cardio 4x a week?

Her body has more then likely adapted to her routine.

Read up on metabolic damage.

I would try have her reduce calories and up calories, even 100 calories to start. Just my opinion.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Completely agree with kbayne. I know it's probably scary for her to gain anything, but I would increase calories for a couple weeks so that reducing actually has an effect.

daddywarbuck

Awards
Myo-inositol shows the most promise as a dietary supplement for promoting female fertility, restoring insulin sensitivity in instances of resistance (type II diabetes and polycystic ovarian syndrome being the most well investigated), and for reducing anxiety as well. Due to the mixed benefits to insulin resistance and fertility, myo-inositol is considered a good treatment for PCOS in women.

Its cheap and I would assume minimal side effects considering it is very close in structure to glucose.

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Obviously most here will recommend patience and manipulation of diet, as do I, but a visit to the doctor and blood work can't hurt especially because you mention a medical condition which I assume she isn't currently being treated for. Some tests may reveal a deeper cause for the insulin resistance. Checking sex hormones, thyroid (not just TSH, ask for something more comprehensive), and possibly some others may reveal clues that will help her live happier, healthier, and fitter with proper treatment or lifestyle changes. If the cost of blood work is not within your budget there are even websites through which you can order blood work from Labcorp for less, and I imagine you could bring the results to the doctor for discussion. Good luck!

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Does not share same life style as you sound like. Good luck.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How long has she been dieting?

And what caloric intake is she at?

And I would swap the cardio to weights training and have her be doing 4 weight training sessions and 2 cardio sessions if possible.
Cardiovascular after weight training is great too. I hop on at hi incline walking rapidly, 30 min. DON'T hold on to the rails/handles