Potassium-Deadly

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
I bought these diuretic pills they are rather underdosed and i would probably have to take like 10 tablets to notice anything but each tab is 20 mgs of pottassium gluconate. isnt 99mg's suppose to be the max dose allowed at once? and why is that? does it matter whether its capsules or tablets too and is it safe to take 4 of these tabs twice or three times a day.

topcop8p8

topcop8p8

Awards
Bananas have about 400mg of potassium, last I heard, people weren't overdosing on bananas. So I think you're good

Abraham67

Abraham67

Awards
Recommended daily intake of potassium is 500mg

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
99mgs is the most that is supposed to be available OTC. Lots of people have prescriptions for 1500mg (20meq) extended release daily.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A lethal does of Potassium is 2,500 mg per kilogram of body weight

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to see Myth Busters try and OD on bananas.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
ok thanks guys was just making sure never quite understood why 99mgs was the max otc figured it was easy to take to much but guess not

Nyrin

Awards
Potassium's RDI is 4700mg per day. Most people get like half of that because most people eat a depressingly small amount of the whole foods that are abundant in it. Barring other issues, you probably wouldn't experience adverse effects at levels significantly higher than the 4700mg, particularly if you were balanced with your other electrolytes.

The reason they're so careful with non-prescription potassium supplements is that overdose and induced hyperkalemia is REALLY bad -- like cardiac arrest bad. Most vitamins and minerals you can down grams and grams extra of with no negative repercussions outside things like laxative effects with magnesium; several extra grams of potassium might actually kill you. Thus, they put small amounts in OTC supplements to make it so you have to be REALLY stupid to OD.

Easiest way to get more potassium is incorporate more potassium-rich foods into your diet. Despite being so broadly associated with the mineral, bananas aren't a particularly rich source on a per-calorie basis; stuff like spinach and broccoli is way more potassium-rich, along with most "green" vegetables. I believe some other fruits like apricots are also extremely abundant sources.

Barring that, if you use salt as a condiment, consider switching to a blend that includes KCl along with the NaCl (or making it yourself). If done in good ratios, it doesn't really sacrifice any of the "salty" flavor but can do wonders for maintaining better electrolyte balance.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
Potassium's RDI is 4700mg per day. Most people get like half of that because most people eat a depressingly small amount of the whole foods that are abundant in it. Barring other issues, you probably wouldn't experience adverse effects at levels significantly higher than the 4700mg, particularly if you were balanced with your other electrolytes.

The reason they're so careful with non-prescription potassium supplements is that overdose and induced hyperkalemia is REALLY bad -- like cardiac arrest bad. Most vitamins and minerals you can down grams and grams extra of with no negative repercussions outside things like laxative effects with magnesium; several extra grams of potassium might actually kill you. Thus, they put small amounts in OTC supplements to make it so you have to be REALLY stupid to OD.

Easiest way to get more potassium is incorporate more potassium-rich foods into your diet. Despite being so broadly associated with the mineral, bananas aren't a particularly rich source on a per-calorie basis; stuff like spinach and broccoli is way more potassium-rich, along with most "green" vegetables. I believe some other fruits like apricots are also extremely abundant sources.

Barring that, if you use salt as a condiment, consider switching to a blend that includes KCl along with the NaCl (or making it yourself). If done in good ratios, it doesn't really sacrifice any of the "salty" flavor but can do wonders for maintaining better electrolyte balance.
Beat me to hyperkalemia! Used to do nursing home negligence litigation before I switched to corporate and saw this all the time in dehydrated clients. Like you said, it will throw off your cardiac rhythms and cause a host of other problems.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This^^^

As mentioned barring other issues hyperkalemia is very unlikely. One notable exception would be individuals with CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) In this case, the kidneys may no longer be able to adequately filter K leading to higher than normal serum K levels.