Intraworkout that worked for you?

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I have been given some intraworkout samples to try because I been complaining about tiredness after my w/o (I train at lunch and then straight back to work, then volley 2x week and cardio/classes 1-2x week).
The intraworkout promises to keep me going, because it has electrolytes and BCAA for 'faster recovery time and reducing muscle soreness'.

The thing is, I have learned that anything you eat takes time before your body can use it (1-2hrs?). So how does the intra workout help with your training if the body cannot use it right away? Basically do you guys find intra workouts help? Or is it just the flavour that you like to be sipping on? :p

If so which ones would you recommend. The one I have is watermelon flavoured Musahi Stamina Plus.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Strive and CreMax always has helped my recovery. Aminos don't take time to be broken down and digest and peptoPro is hydrolized (partially broken down) protein that absorbs very quickly and has high AA content. The CreMax is flavorless and taking with strive I never forget a dose. It has taurine to help stop cramping, electrolyte comlex that is lost through sweat, and your daily dose of creatine

Plus strive has lclt, cit malate and other goodies and is an EAA product basically

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have been given some intraworkout samples to try because I been complaining about tiredness after my w/o (I train at lunch and then straight back to work, then volley 2x week and cardio/classes 1-2x week).
The intraworkout promises to keep me going, because it has electrolytes and BCAA for 'faster recovery time and reducing muscle soreness'.

The thing is, I have learned that anything you eat takes time before your body can use it (1-2hrs?). So how does the intra workout help with your training if the body cannot use it right away? Basically do you guys find intra workouts help? Or is it just the flavour that you like to be sipping on? :p

If so which ones would you recommend. The one I have is watermelon flavoured Musahi Stamina Plus.
Most intra-workouts are not helping because of the BCAA's which are just that. Protein in free form.
You are seeking the benefits of the added ingredients in the formula
If you are not meeting proper protein intake in the 24 hour period then in most cases they will not be of an asset to you
Most people who train in a fed state are constantly spiking amino levels and never allowing them to reach refractory stages because of eating, having another protein bolus (BCAA's), and then eating again shortly after your workout which is worse for Muscle Protein Synthesis

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
Optimal Protein Intake And Meal Frequency To Support Maximal Protein

The things that may help or work are the extra goodies in BCAA/Intra-workouts not the BCAA's themself (Assuming you meet protein intake)

Such as:
Beta alanine (performance/endurance)
LCLT ~ Recovery
Creatine -- Strength/Recovery/Performance
HICA -- Recovery
Electrolytes -- Recovery
Betaine -- Performance/Recovery
Cit Mal -->> Delay Lactic Acid Build up + Enhances pump

A lot of these are common in typical (BCAA/Intra-workout) products or added carbs to help with sustained energy during workout sessions.

if you want cheap electrolytes add a gatorade around your workout for easy carbs (Glucose) and electrolytes

As far as sipping on amino's Mr Cooper wrote it best:

"Don't fall for the "it's a great replacement for sugary drinks" argument. BCAAs are 6 calories per gram, and when sipped in an all day fashion, contribute heavily to both an insulin response and gluconeogenesis. Sipping on BCAA’s takes away from MPS (Muscle Protein Synthesis) as levels never get a chance to reach refractory stages before being spike dagain The net effect is increased insulin and blood sugar. So when you sip on BCAAs instead of sugary drinks...you replace blood sugar and insulin with blood sugar and insulin. "

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you eating anything after you train before you go back to work?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strive is a good one that I just never tried, because I started with Compete by iForce once it was released.

I had used just BCAA's as well as plenty of other amino-foundation intra-workouts prior to that. I like them for other things, but honestly, I have used Compete pretty close to exclusively ever since it was released and haven't felt the need to change it. When I play basketball, I'll mix 1 scoop with 5g taurine and usually drink 2 of those during the 2 hours I'm playing along with tons of water.

But that has the carnitines, some peptopro and electrolytes (along with other ingredients) and it's cost effective, tastes great (all flavors), and works.

Aaron1981

Awards
I may get flamed for this but I swear by intra md by prime. Recovery is better and also my workout capacity has went through the roof. The effects were more noticeable when on a cut but trying it out now my calories have increased. I've tried a few other bcaa/eaa products like xtend and purple wrath but I find the hbcd in intra md makes a big difference

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
OP, how long before you are working out, was your last carb/protein meal? I'd try to throw some oatmeal and protein powder in a container, and eat it ~90 mins before lifting. When are you eating lunch? I found Intra's to be a waste of money if you can get some food down your gullet before workouts. If you can't, then...

ToughMech

Awards
I always heard that if you can't eat then BCAA's are a good way to reduce muscle breakdown. I have not tested this out myself, I am waiting on some BCAA's that I just bought but it will be my first time taking them regularly besides free samples. The BCAA's I bought contain a bunch of other stuff too. Its called Chain reaction by Hardcore Nutrition so we will see.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Great information, guys!! cheers

When I have my diet exactly how I planned (brekky, morning tea, then train at lunch 2hrs later... with plenty of water the whole time) its not so bad.

Like yesterday however, I had brekky at 6:30am and didnt have morning tea as the place was super busy bc the other girl called in sick. I didnt train until 2:30pm no lunch before. so lets just say it was not my best session ever lol

I feel like I am too tough on my diet so I been trying more relaxed approach but then the above happens.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
so I had the watermelon intra for my w/o and well it tasted nice :) I still felt tired after lol.

A berry muffin and a protein shake kept me awake for my evening cardio, which is nice but not what I would call suitable as an 'intra'. I am thinking electrolytes are a good idea if I don't be needing BCAAs.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like just your overall daily nutrition and schedule may be impacting things, too. There are definitely days I feel weaker when I don't get to eat as much or things like that. As long as my daily numbers (macros and total cals) land where they're supposed to, I typically don't have any problems.

May just be a matter of looking at your daily intake and restructuring it (if feeling weaker/more tired is the concern).

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
I train fasted and use some lemon juice, bcaa and a third extra scoop of whatever preworkout I'm using. A bit more caffeine in there, works well for ne

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
MidwestBeast; yea you are right. I have never needed intra supplements so I don't know why I need it now lol. It tastes nice though, I mean that watermelon flavour is wow. I am at my best when I have food in me.
Another thing someone suggested to me is I might need a few days off? I been training 6 days a week (including cardio/sports) since the beginning this year, no break.

alexoc949; I've tried training fasted and it doesnt agree with me unfortunately! It makes me feel abit sick to be honest.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No days off at all during that stretch?

I lift 5 days a week and play ~2 hours of basketball on my 2 "off" days to give me 7 days of action each week. However, I've had a day here and there when I've had to miss (like this past Sunday I skipped on basketball to help with a youth group outing, and a week or 2 ago I skipped a day and doubled down on sessions on a Saturday because I just felt tired).

If you legitimately haven't had a day in there where you've just rested, that could be a part of it too (even if it's more mental than physical). I hate missing days, but occasionally I need those breaks.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You need more rest and better nutritional habits IMO.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If i need anything intra workout i usually go for eaas, if im doing carbs then highly branched cyclic dextrin. These i have noticed a difference. Also taurine can help out alot too.

A great intra product is intra-md. My personal fave if im doing carbs. Very light and easy to drink.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
Honestly, other than H2O the only thing that makes the most sense if I'm wanted to have butt kicking WO is some stims. I've never quite understood taking them before the workout (call me crazy). E.g half way through heavy leg day when I'm starting to fatigue I'll drink my stim and always get much more out of the session. If I had to stretch to one other ingredient it'd be leucine just to tip the scale of anabolism pwo.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Great information, guys!! cheers

When I have my diet exactly how I planned (brekky, morning tea, then train at lunch 2hrs later... with plenty of water the whole time) its not so bad.

Like yesterday however, I had brekky at 6:30am and didnt have morning tea as the place was super busy bc the other girl called in sick. I didnt train until 2:30pm no lunch before. so lets just say it was not my best session ever lol

I feel like I am too tough on my diet so I been trying more relaxed approach but then the above happens.
Keep tweaking diet until you hot a happy medium. Play with timings and shuffling carbs around etc.

I prefer to train on an empty stomach but drinking EAAs during and having a hyoooge meal right after now as I workout at 5am

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Caffeine pre-workout and highly branched cyclic dextrins, electrolytes, BCAAs during. I use Glycofuse for the cyclic dextrins and Modern BCAA by USP Labs, which is a BCAA/Electrolyte mix.

There's other stuff you can add in too like everything The Solution recommended, but the 3 above are a good starting point and fairly cheap.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Ok I'll take some time off first. Like today I forced myself not to train. It was hard and I actually got changed by accident and walked around the gym in my lunch break wondering what to do with the spare time haha. I like staying active and be doing something even for the days 'off'.

Yea I looked up intra-md and it seems like it has all the good stuff in it :)
I think it will be perfect to sip on inbetween going to volley games after my training.