BCAA mega-dose experiment results

Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

1. hey derek; not to instigate and slightly OT; but what happened to that thermogenic test you had up a week ago?

2. how about that

A dose-finding study on the effects of branch chain amino acids on surrogate markers of brain dopamine function.

Gijsman HJ, Scarna A, Harmer CJ, McTavish SB, Odontiadis J, Cowen PJ, Goodwin GM.

University of Oxford, Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK.

RATIONALE: We have previously shown in healthy volunteers that an amino acid mixture lacking tyrosine and phenylalanine reduces tyrosine availability to the brain and produces cognitive and neuroendocrine effects consistent with reduced dopamine function. This could provide a potential nutritional approach to disorders such as mania and schizophrenia, which are characterised by overactivity of dopamine pathways. The amino acid mixture we tested previously is unpalatable, whereas mixtures containing only branch chain amino acids can be made more palatable. However, the effects of such mixtures on dopamine function in humans have not been studied. OBJECTIVE: To assess the tolerability of different doses of branch chain amino acids and to measure their effects on neuroendocrine and cognitive measures sensitive to changes in dopamine function. METHODS: We used a randomised, double-blind, cross-over design in 12 healthy volunteers to assess the effect of single oral doses of 10 g, 30 g and 60 g branch chain amino acids on plasma prolactin and a test of spatial recognition memory RESULTS: The branch chain amino acids were well tolerated. The availability of tyrosine for brain catecholamine synthesis decreased in a dose-related manner. As hypothesised, the drink increased both the plasma prolactin and the latency to respond on the spatial recognition memory task. CONCLUSIONS: A drink containing branch chain amino acids is well tolerated in healthy volunteers and produces effects consistent with lowered dopamine function.

3. Quote Originally Posted by chasec
    hey derek; not to instigate and slightly OT; but what happened to that thermogenic test you had up a week ago?
    I was thinking the same thing.

4. I have. Gave me stomach problems. I found bracekting free form amino's and bracketing HMB worked better than BCAA's.
    BoBo how much of each were you taking pre and post workout?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I was thinking the same thing.
    I'm guessing it had something to do w/board sponsorship and competition.

6. I assume the testing thread was deleted because PrimaForce is not a sponsor. I was not sure if the testing was allowed or not when I posted it, so it is understandable that it was deleted.

7. cool; if you still want a tester i can PM you details and post a log here and over at avant for everyone to read. there's nothing prohibiting somebody from giving a product a fair trial.

Similar Forum Threads

1. BCAA timing, dosing, results.....
    By Jmuls in forum Supplements
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 03:56 PM
  2. mega dosing bcaa's/eaa's? purple wraath?
    By charger71 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 01:23 AM
  3. BCAA Mega-dose
    By dr ozz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 08:34 AM
  4. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-21-2006, 11:46 AM
  5. Superdrol/BCAA mega-dosing
    By deftone in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9