PROBIOTICS AND CHOLESTEROL

miniarnold

miniarnold

Awards
I have read probiotics/or just certain strains of probiotics can lower total cholesterol/ and or LDL levels

Is this true, is it a fact has it ever been proven and if so how much does the level or levels decrease from probiotics?

I wish to use probiotics for ibs but I do not really want them to lower cholesterol if it will effect my Testosterone levels.

Thanks for decent educated intelligent replys

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
"Cholesterol lowering and inhibition of sterol absorption by Lactobacillus reuteri NCIMB 30242: a randomized controlled trial." ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22990854 (sorry it's not a direct link)

I am not sure how common this particular strain is among commonly used probiotic supplements, but it did lower cholesterol.

"A double-blind placebo-controlled study of the effects of Lactobacillus acidophilus on plasma lipids." ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15841092

I feel that this strain is more commonly used and it did not have an affect on cholesterol levels.

miniarnold

miniarnold

Awards
thanks for your reply been researching a lot, seems certain strains can lower it with specific numbers, so I am unsure as to if it has to be the strain name with the exact number, or would just the strain name be enough to reduce cholesterol, all very confusing and hard work

As I need to use probiotics for ibs but don't want cholesterol levels and indirectly lower testosterone

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
thanks for your reply been researching a lot, seems certain strains can lower it with specific numbers, so I am unsure as to if it has to be the strain name with the exact number, or would just the strain name be enough to reduce cholesterol, all very confusing and hard work

As I need to use probiotics for ibs but don't want cholesterol levels and indirectly lower testosterone
If your testosterone is within the normal range or aren't using hormonal supplements and your diet doesn't restrict you from consuming more fats and cruciferous vegetables then I don't think you have that much to worry about.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your testosterone is within the normal range or aren't using hormonal supplements and your diet doesn't restrict you from consuming more fats and cruciferous vegetables then I don't think you have that much to worry about.
^^^^ this. I believe that benefits will out weigh the very MINOR effects it MIGHT have on testosterone. Also i don't believe that it will effect testosterone at all especially if you eat enough cholesterol like eggs and your veggies.

miniarnold

miniarnold

Awards
Just concerned of probiotics use and the possible effects on cholesterol
Thanks for replys