Multi vits - compared

Toff

Awards
  • Established
Thought I'd get a spreadsheet going.

Based on my vitamin profile, I can compare what i need and whats up to scratch (usign Michael Colgan's analysis)

Data, useful to anyone who is doing similar and wants to know how they compare:
Vita JYM
Animal PAK
Infinite Labs Mens
NOW Adam
Uni-vite
ISS SUPER
AST Multi-Pro
Orange Triad
SportsPharma MultiV
MP Armor V
BB.com Multi

View attachment link.txt

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Orange triad is and probably always will be the winner :p can't be beat. If you go to orbit nutrition you can get it there for 10% off with the code social.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Orange triad is and probably always will be the winner :p can't be beat. If you go to orbit nutrition you can get it there for 10% off with the code social.
Can't beat the Joint/Digestive complex
heck its on sale for 20$ right now a bottle

Can't beat that!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Orange Triad is a great price for what you get. It is my go to. Plus, CL has their label promo. Uni-Vite is great when looking for a more affordable option.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Thought I'd get a spreadsheet going.

Based on my vitamin profile, I can compare what i need and whats up to scratch (usign Michael Colgan's analysis)

Data, useful to anyone who is doing similar and wants to know how they compare:
Vita JYM
Animal PAK
Infinite Labs Mens
NOW Adam
Uni-vite
ISS SUPER
AST Multi-Pro
Orange Triad
SportsPharma MultiV
MP Armor V
BB.com Multi

View attachment 120026
its not just about amount of vitamin its about source and quality aswell.
I highly rec looking for "whole food derived multi vitamin"
I use puritans pride "green source" myself. 2-3 a day is nice addition

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Orange triad will be hard to beat. We carry it at strong supplement shop to.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Don't mean to sound naive but isn't a multi a multi? Excluding all digestive and enzyme support... How does an expensive brand compare to a cheap shop bought brand? Serious question, I'm not trying to put down any companies.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't mean to sound naive but isn't a multi a multi? Excluding all digestive and enzyme support... How does an expensive brand compare to a cheap shop bought brand? Serious question, I'm not trying to put down any companies.
Some multi vitamins use poor forms of vitamins. Some that due that will put an excess amount of said vitamin in the product and can do more harm than good if they are not balanced correctly. Those nutrients will become wasteful, so you're essentially paying for something your body isn't using.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Some multi vitamins use poor forms of vitamins. Some that due that will put an excess amount of said vitamin in the product and can do more harm than good if they are not balanced correctly. Those nutrients will become wasteful, so you're essentially paying for something your body isn't using.
Ah okay, thanks for explaining that to me. Interesting to know.

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You all are wrong.... orange triad + greens ftmfw!!!

We've got it at Nutriverse, use code AM5 for 5% off!!!

Toff

Awards
  • Established
That and RDA is way out of date. The point of excretion is the limit your body wants to hold.99% are underdosed of your hoping to ward off diseases and ailments. Medical shots of vitamins are crazy levels when an alcoholic or deficient drops to the floor

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I've always enjoyed one a day because it's cheap. If I'm ordering supps Orange triad is near impossible to beat

Toff

Awards
  • Established
You say that but the report says different its missing many nutrients

GD67

GD67

Awards
I like and use Garden of Life Vitamin Code (Raw whole foods multi).

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
That and RDA is way out of date. The point of excretion is the limit your body wants to hold.99% are underdosed of your hoping to ward off diseases and ailments. Medical shots of vitamins are crazy levels when an alcoholic or deficient drops to the floor
Shots aren't limited by oral absorption limits

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's tough to beat Life Force for your budget multi and Orange Triad for your boutique multi. But after 4+ years of study plus training, i'm still not convinced of the need for multi vitamins.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
It's tough to beat Life Force for your budget multi and Orange Triad for your boutique multi. But after 4+ years of study plus training, i'm still not convinced of the need for multi vitamins.
I feel it's only important if you don't focus on getting any micro nutrients from food.

If you hate fruit and veg and refuse to eat them... Take a multi IMO.

If you have a balanced diet, there's no need.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Curious what you are studying to lead you to that conclusion. Just about every paper I have read on the topic has found deficiencies in just about every population.

If you have a balanced diet, there's no need.
You would think so, but no. The term balanced diet is like the term clean eating, that is, it is an arbitrary term with no real meaning. Plenty people think they are eating a balanced diet and are deficient in several nutrients.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My perspective is this, you are most likely deficient in some nutrients, but even if you aren't, what does a multi hurt? The risk is minimal. So in my opinion, it is foolish to not be taking one.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Curious what you are studying to lead you to that conclusion. Just about every paper I have read on the topic has found deficiencies in just about every population.

You would think so, but no. The term balanced diet is like the term clean eating, that is, it is an arbitrary term with no real meaning. Plenty people think they are eating a balanced diet and are deficient in several nutrients.
Dietetics with some background in biochem. But i'm done with dietetics now, can't stand the field, wasted many years.

My opinion is this: regardless of deficiency, we can't quantify what help a multi gives or whether not having one opens the door for health concerns. I know what the papers say, i've had to read them and discuss them. If someone has a deficiency they should be speaking to a physician, not trying to use a multi vit. What otc vitamin supplement will fill a deficiency gap? There is no way to prove that a multi vitamin does anything.

However, i do marginally agree with the idea "why not use it anyways." Life Force is cheap, has quality forms, and could possibly benefit health. But if we apply that reasoning across the board i'd be spending hundreds of dollars on supps a month for possible benefits.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dietetics with some background in biochem. But i'm done with dietetics now, can't stand the field, wasted many years.

My opinion is this: regardless of deficiency, we can't quantify what help a multi gives or whether not having one opens the door for health concerns. I know what the papers say, i've had to read them and discuss them. If someone has a deficiency they should be speaking to a physician, not trying to use a multi vit. What otc vitamin supplement will fill a deficiency gap? There is no way to prove that a multi vitamin does anything.

However, i do marginally agree with the idea "why not use it anyways." Life Force is cheap, has quality forms, and could possibly benefit health. But if we apply that reasoning across the board i'd be spending hundreds of dollars on supps a month for possible benefits.

Yet hundreds of people on this board do that exact thing and then contradict themselves by saying it's diet a training that is important....Yet they are taking 10-12 different supplements and attributing the "results" to one particular product they happen to be logging.

BlackWinging

Awards

Off topic but why can't you stand the field? I just started college and was looking at going into a dietetics program myself.

As far as multi's go, I use products that use multiple pill servings so I can split the dose down, such as Life Force and life extension's two-a-day. I do this mainly as a safety net, and I know I don't hit the RDA for all micronutrients.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yet hundreds of people on this board do that exact thing and then contradict themselves by saying it's diet a training that is important....Yet they are taking 10-12 different supplements and attributing the "results" to one particular product they happen to be logging.
Poodles gonna Poodle ;)

Shi+s me to tears lol.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Off topic but why can't you stand the field? I just started college and was looking at going into a dietetics program myself.

As far as multi's go, I use products that use multiple pill servings so I can split the dose down, such as Life Force and life extension's two-a-day. I do this mainly as a safety net, and I know I don't hit the RDA for all micronutrients.
When i was in undergrad i had some grandiose idea of what life would be like with a masters and certifications. I was working as a college strength and conditioning coach, a high school coach, and doing random volunteer work. Once in masters i realized the job i wanted was 1 in a million (working for a d1 sports program or pro program or specialized sports program) and to get to where i wanted to be would take years of working places i didn't want to work. I can't stand middle to old age people when it comes to working as a RD or trainer. They don't listen, they argue, they don't stick to what you tell them to, they thing Dr. Oz knows more than anyone else, etc etc etc. I literally lost my passion for the field during grad school and my internship. If there's specific things you want to know, just send a PM.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
first two are a joke. no thanks self reporting. i'll check out the last two after the warriors game
Self reporting = a joke?

Do you even research?

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Self reporting = a joke?

Do you even research?
i really think you're missing my point here, which is surprising since you're a pretty bright guy from what i can tell. Not gonna argue with you here, no offense.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The first one is a lil sketchy as, judging from the abstract, it seems that those who use a multi tend to eat healthy and those who dont use one dont.

Ill read the FTs when I have a chance

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i really think you're missing my point here, which is surprising since you're a pretty bright guy from what i can tell. Not gonna argue with you here, no offense.
No offense taken.

While I absolutely love that a lot of people have become fans of science and are trying to be evidence-based people, lots are failing miserably to understand the nuances of research and even the basic fundemental philosophy of science.

Gorazd

Awards
Are Orange Triad + Greens currently best multivitamins on the market? Does OT powder have better absorption than pills?

Also... how good are Gaspari's Anavite compared with OT?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Always loved Orange Triad and ADAM (switched back and forth).

Been using VPX Medivin for quite a while and happy with it, as well.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
No offense taken.

While I absolutely love that a lot of people have become fans of science and are trying to be evidence-based people, lots are failing miserably to understand the nuances of research and even the basic fundemental philosophy of science.
Self reported data does have many issues with it, especially whwn rit comes it nutrition. Its important, sure but also not very reliable.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Self reported data does have many issues with it, especially whwn rit comes it nutrition. Its important, sure but also not very reliable.
This is true HOWEVER, dismissing a paper because of a limitation is intellectual laziness and a demonstration of one's lack of understanding when it comes to research.

Not every study can be done in a metward.

We can draw meaningful conclusions from papers with limtations, because we do all the time. People don't realize this but just about every damn paper is going to have limitations.

BlackWinging

Awards
When i was in undergrad i had some grandiose idea of what life would be like with a masters and certifications. I was working as a college strength and conditioning coach, a high school coach, and doing random volunteer work. Once in masters i realized the job i wanted was 1 in a million (working for a d1 sports program or pro program or specialized sports program) and to get to where i wanted to be would take years of working places i didn't want to work. I can't stand middle to old age people when it comes to working as a RD or trainer. They don't listen, they argue, they don't stick to what you tell them to, they thing Dr. Oz knows more than anyone else, etc etc etc. I literally lost my passion for the field during grad school and my internship. If there's specific things you want to know, just send a PM.
Ahh, I see, that makes sense. Dealing with stubborn people who read articles on clickbait websites and think they know everything will probably take a toll on me as well, but I already figured that'd be par for the course. That sucks that you fell out of it when you had gotten that far, that's actually something I'm terrified of, hopefully you were able to switch your focus to something else easily.

Personally I just like the idea of food and exercising being preventative and rehabilitative medicine, and I suppose having the feeling that I'm helping people won't be too bad.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This is true HOWEVER, dismissing a paper because of a limitation is intellectual laziness and a demonstration of one's lack of understanding when it comes to research.

Not every study can be done in a metward.

We can draw meaningful conclusions from papers with limtations, because we do all the time. People don't realize this but just about every damn paper is going to have limitations.
Couldn't agree more, but it is a big limitation:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/6/1413.short
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0076632
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/1/130.short
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/10805500

Unfortunately, people are crap at admitting if they screwed up with their diet but it is one of the only real ways of gathering food intake data given that, short of recording their every move, you cannot control or monitor everything.

Some people (especially people I know who are perceived to be "healthy") will "forget" that time they went to McDs and just focus on reporting the bowl of vegetables they had

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
As an MS in Human Nutrition as well, this post made me think you're reading my mind. Same one in a million dreams, same realization that clinical RD work would be pretty darn miserable and not a place for me.

BlueB

Awards
I've used animal and have some muscle tech now. Good to know!

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As an MS in Human Nutrition as well, this post made me think you're reading my mind. Same one in a million dreams, same realization that clinical RD work would be pretty darn miserable and not a place for me.
If it makes you feel any better this happens with a lot of careers.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ahh, I see, that makes sense. Dealing with stubborn people who read articles on clickbait websites and think they know everything will probably take a toll on me as well, but I already figured that'd be par for the course. That sucks that you fell out of it when you had gotten that far, that's actually something I'm terrified of, hopefully you were able to switch your focus to something else easily.

Personally I just like the idea of food and exercising being preventative and rehabilitative medicine, and I suppose having the feeling that I'm helping people won't be too bad.
It was either join a doctorate program which i was considering, or spending 10-20 years to get where i wanted to be. I miss coaching, i miss helping athletes and people who really want to work hard and achieve something. I'm much happier with my new focus, something i had put off for years.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Couldn't agree more, but it is a big limitation:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/6/1413.short
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0076632
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/1/130.short
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/10805500

Unfortunately, people are crap at admitting if they screwed up with their diet but it is one of the only real ways of gathering food intake data given that, short of recording their every move, you cannot control or monitor everything.

Some people (especially people I know who are perceived to be "healthy") will "forget" that time they went to McDs and just focus on reporting the bowl of vegetables they had
Ok, but let's add some context here before throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The outcome here is micronutrient consumption, right? Not weight loss or body comp but micronutrient intake.

Ok, so they are getting this intake from self report data. Now while it's true that some people will be more hesitant to report that they had mcdonalds for lunch, I don't think that same hesitation exist for reporting the bowl of broccoli... and out of these foods, which is the nutrient dense one?

So we have self reported data where people might omit the junk food they eat, but is that the food that will significently effect micronutrient intake? Or is the bowl of broccoli the one that will have the greater impact on micronutrient levels? And do you really think people will be hesitant to report consuming vegetables in a self report food diary?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've also found it interesting that the people who usually doesn't hesitate to scream "multivitamins are junk and don't work" are also quick to say "well what about them getting too much"... so something doesn't work and is worthless due to poor absorption yet might lead to overdosing... just always found that interesting