50 year old advice / suggestions

bubble boy

Awards
So I finished an 8 week Active Xtreme / Triazole run to try to lean out some. I would say it was marginal with minimal results. Not dogging the products it just didn't do much for me. Yes I know my diet and workouts need to be in check.
My question is would Andro 300 be a good or bad idea for someone my age? I'm probably about 15% BF right now and was looking for something "stronger" than Active X / Triazole. At 50 I'm still training hard and heavy 5 days a week but need some help now as I age. I've been training for 30 years and as I age I hold less muscle mass and more BF.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd be looking in to TRT lol.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'd be looking in to TRT lol.
yes, holding less muscle mass and more bodyfat as you get older is probably a sign your testosterone level has taken a significant drop.

ask your doc to test testosterone level!!!

bubble boy

Awards
QUOTE=thebigt;4965607]yes, holding less muscle mass and more bodyfat as you get older is probably a sign your testosterone level has taken a significant drop.

ask your doc to test testosterone level!!![/QUOTE]

So can you tell me specifics to ask for testing? A few years ago I did have it tested and all I got was, yes, your in the normal range.
Any advice on what to actually ask for to be tested would be great

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
QUOTE=thebigt;4965607]yes, holding less muscle mass and more bodyfat as you get older is probably a sign your testosterone level has taken a significant drop.

ask your doc to test testosterone level!!!
So can you tell me specifics to ask for testing? A few years ago I did have it tested and all I got was, yes, your in the normal range.
Any advice on what to actually ask for to be tested would be great[/QUOTE]

tell your doc your 'quality of life' is suffering, make sure you use that term....tell the doc libido/motivation/mood are all in the tank, at your age he should be the one to suggest you get test level checked---if he doesn't ask him to check test level---he will know what to check for....

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep that sounds exactly like a low T. Ask doc about it.

bubble boy

Awards
Thanks guys, I will talk to my doc and hopefully get this done soon

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
Don't be afraid of finding a different Doc as well, I had to see three before I got my Test fixed. Some Doctors will do anything in order to not give you TRT where other are open minded about it, I got lucky and find one that was on it himself. Make sure its been a while since you've taken test boosters or anything that would raise your test before you go in and do blood work, wanting TRT naturally your going to want your test results to be as low as they can be.

bubble boy

Awards
Good point, thanks

Don't be afraid of finding a different Doc as well, I had to see three before I got my Test fixed. Some Doctors will do anything in order to not give you TRT where other are open minded about it, I got lucky and find one that was on it himself. Make sure its been a while since you've taken test boosters or anything that would raise your test before you go in and do blood work, wanting TRT naturally your going to want your test results to be as low as they can be.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
While TRT is great, make sure you ask your doc about the side effects too

Vj63

Banned
Awards
If you get tested, don't let them just tell you that you are in normal range and let it go. Get a copy of your results and do some research. You can be "normal" at the low end of the range and have the testosterone levels of an 80 year old man.

bubble boy

Awards
Are you speaking from experience?

I have wondered if once you start are you basically committed for life so to speak.
Still makes me think some of the test boosters available online might still be worth a try.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established

I have wondered if once you start are you basically committed for life so to speak.
Still makes me think some of the test boosters available online might still be worth a try.
While some test boosters might help you feel better for a short period of time, I wish I had all the money back I wasted on them before I got on TRT.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
While some test boosters might help you feel better for a short period of time, I wish I had all the money back I wasted on them before I got on TRT.
i still use them...test boosters are great for mood and libido, imo!!!

i've been on trt for close to 8 years now!!!

Vj63

Banned
Awards

Test boosters are of no value at all.

If testing shows the need and you and your Dr. decide that TRT is the correct solution, you wouldn't want to stop.

I will say that you don't mention any problems outside of some body comp issues, if that is the case I would caution you that a safe healthy TRT regiment is not going to have as profound effect on your body as that of someone running a heavy cycle.
I am 52 and I will never give up on trying to maintain and even build some muscle, but I am also not willing to ruin my health over it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Test boosters are of no value at all.

If testing shows the need and you and your Dr. decide that TRT is the correct solution, you wouldn't want to stop.

I will say that you don't mention any problems outside of some body comp issues, if that is the case I would caution you that a safe healthy TRT regiment is not going to have as profound effect on your body as that of someone running a heavy cycle.
I am 52 and I will never give up on trying to maintain and even build some muscle, but I am also not willing to ruin my health over it.
i had some liver issues awhile back and my doc took me off test cyp for 5 months...test boosters took me from 193 to 345.....not to mention how much better my mood and libido were...since i went back on test cyp i continue to take test boosters...imo, anyone who says test boosters are OF NO VALUE AT ALL...is full of it!!!

9/16/58

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
i still use them...test boosters are great for mood and libido, imo!!!

i've been on trt for close to 8 years now!!!
I'm sure there is a benefit of using them while on TRT, I was mainly meaning they were a waste if your needing TRT but just trying to manage with boosters. What have you taken while on TRT that's give you the greatest boost mood, libido etc wise?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm sure there is a benefit of using them while on TRT, I was mainly meaning they were a waste if your needing TRT but just trying to manage with boosters. What have you taken while on TRT that's give you the greatest boost mood, libido etc wise?
favorite ingredients are dhea/preg/fadogia/bulbine/long jack/fenugreek-as testofen/icariin/macuna puriens/divaniil/trib...those are just a few of the things i look for in test boosters...

Vj63

Banned
Awards
i had some liver issues awhile back and my doc took me off test cyp for 5 months...test boosters took me from 193 to 345.....not to mention how much better my mood and libido were...since i went back on test cyp i continue to take test boosters...imo, anyone who says test boosters are OF NO VALUE AT ALL...is full of it!!!

9/16/58
A lot of the benefits of supplements seemed to be noted much more by the people that push them like reps.

Bubble Boy, do as much research as possible on your own and learn from different sources. Don't trust your health to one persons opinion.

Vj63

Banned
Awards
favorite ingredients are dhea/preg/fadogia/bulbine/long jack/fenugreek-as testofen/icariin/macuna puriens/divaniil/trib...those are just a few of the things i look for in test boosters...
Does IronChamp sell any products with those ingredients?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
A lot of the benefits of supplements seemed to be noted much more by the people that push them like reps.

Bubble Boy, do as much research as possible on your own and learn from different sources. Don't trust your health to one persons opinion.
very true...i rep for a company that sells test boosters, but that does not mean my advice is any less valid than yours...i personally advocate trt, but feel test booster do have their place, but i would never say they are a replacement for trt---even though i do feel they would help!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Does IronChamp sell any products with those ingredients?
of course...why would i represent them if they didn't have products with my favorite ingredients-that would be stupid!!!

but there are also several ingredients listed that are not in ironchamp products---look at my reviews i have used many, many different brands of test boosters!!!

btw-how many products have you reviewed????

Vj63

Banned
Awards
Hey, I appreciate your honesty.
As far as product reviews, I just review them for myself. I can say that after many years of trying more products than I could ever remember there are none that I would buy or recommend. My only supplementation these days are strictly health type products, but I do like to keep an eye out for new things.

freakyfit64

freakyfit64

Awards
So I finished an 8 week Active Xtreme / Triazole run to try to lean out some. I would say it was marginal with minimal results. Not dogging the products it just didn't do much for me. Yes I know my diet and workouts need to be in check.
My question is would Andro 300 be a good or bad idea for someone my age? I'm probably about 15% BF right now and was looking for something "stronger" than Active X / Triazole. At 50 I'm still training hard and heavy 5 days a week but need some help now as I age. I've been training for 30 years and as I age I hold less muscle mass and more BF.
I haven't read all the repies but I am also 50 yrs old. I had testicular cancer in my early 20s so my natural levels are a little lower. I started TRT in my mid 40s and it has been the best thing that I ever did. I use injectable Test instead of the topical but the results would definitely be the same. I am also a laboratory technologist and agree to get your exact test levels. You really don't want to be on the extreme low end of normal. There can be side effects but personally I have never had a single bad side effect. I feel and at times function in all aspects of my life like a 20 year old! Best decision I ever did! Hope this helps!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hey, I appreciate your honesty.
As far as product reviews, I just review them for myself. I can say that after many years of trying more products than I could ever remember there are none that I would buy or recommend. My only supplementation these days are strictly health type products, but I do like to keep an eye out for new things.
personally i think you are missing out...but i also know there are those who don't react to certain supplements---name some you have tried.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards

I am too young to be on TRT(only 21) so not from experience. But some people don't want the hassle of dealing with injections, multiple dr visits, possible hair loss, and the such. Just be knowledgeable about what can happen

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
I am too young to be on TRT(only 21) so not from experience. But some people don't want the hassle of dealing with injections, multiple dr visits, possible hair loss, and the such. Just be knowledgeable about what can happen
From experience, after dealing with low T nothing seems like a hassle if it fixes your T levels, and Dr visits slow after you get lined out. I do agree that a person should be knowledgeable about TRT really make sure they need it before starting.

Vj63

Banned
Awards
From experience, after dealing with low T nothing seems like a hassle if it fixes your T levels, and Dr visits slow after you get lined out. I do agree that a person should be knowledgeable about TRT really make sure they need it before starting.
You have that 100% correct. Only a person that has truly dealt with it would know.

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Second this. TRT is not a silver bullet. Not everyone reports euphoric changes. In addition you need check if there are any underlying factors. Ive come acrosss many a post where the poster has said they wished theyd investigated all possible causes and alternative therapies before going down the TRT route. As has been said there's plenty of sides and TRT is not risk free.

bubble boy

Awards
Well, I will need to get it checked to at least find out where I'm at. Overall I don't feel bad but figured at my age some help boosting libido would be nice although it's not bad. I'm was more looking for the muscle building and leaning out aspects.

And with that said maybe some of the things thebigt mentioned might be of some value

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well, I will need to get it checked to at least find out where I'm at. Overall I don't feel bad but figured at my age some help boosting libido would be nice although it's not bad. I'm was more looking for the muscle building and leaning out aspects.

And with that said maybe some of the things thebigt mentioned might be of some value
test boosters will help with libido/mood/motivation, some even say they feel aggression towards the weights on them. what they won't do is build muscle directly-but if you are more motivated it can lead to more/longer/more strenuous workouts, which indirectly can lead to muscle building and leaning out!!!

also don't compare trt doses with running a cycle-trt isn't a magic bullet like someone already mentioned...but it can help immensely if your test is in the tank like mine was---i am very happy to be on trt, but there have been plenty of hassles along the way!!!

like everyone else i highly recommend you at least get t-levels checked to see where you stand!!!