MCT oil - Low Carbers

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone use this? It used to be a hot item for the keto crowd years ago - never got around to trying it although I do use Coconut oil.

I'm a low carber and looking to try MCT for the energy boost it is purported to provide.

Any truth to this? Coconut oil never gives me any type of boost; hence my question.

Gambriel94

Gambriel94

Awards
Hey man. GT nutrition has (maybe it expired) a 7day trial of they're MCT oil. I used it and personally loved it so check that out!

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
They don't really provide energy like a stimulant, but energy like a carbohydrate because they bypass the steps a typical long chain fatty acids needs in order to undergo metabolization.
So its energy in the "fuel" sense

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I thought coconut oil was basically MCT oil?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A MCT oil is comprised of C6 – Caproic Acid C8 – Caprylic Acid C10 – Capric Acid C12 – Lauric Acid. Coconut oil is just C12.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A MCT oil is comprised of C6 – Caproic Acid C8 – Caprylic Acid C10 – Capric Acid C12 – Lauric Acid. Coconut oil is just C12.
That's incorrect. Coconut oil has c6, c8, c10, c12 and long chain triglycerides. It's about 50% c12. Mct oil is only c8 and c10.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
What's wrong with olive oil?
Olive oil still needs to breakdown at a longer process before it can be used for fuel and MCTs doesn't.

The real question is, what's wrong with carbs? :)

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
Mct is the shizznig. Recommend in your coffee. .. With butter.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Olive oil still needs to breakdown at a longer process before it can be used for fuel and MCTs doesn't.

The real question is, what's wrong with carbs? :)
lol'd at this. :)

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you're going to try MCT oil, start slowly & ramp up.. Don't take a full 2tbspns... Lol, ask me how I know!!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If you're going to try MCT oil, start slowly & ramp up.. Don't take a full 2tbspns... Lol, ask me how I know!!
I've eaten too many coconut flakes in one sitting. Wrecked my stomach.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I thought coconut oil was basically MCT oil?
as I understand it .. coconut oil is mostly saturated fat. how ever because of its make up it can be converted into MCTs quite easily in the body.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been carb backloading for a couple months now and started with 1 tbsp a day and now do 3 tbsp a day of NOW mct. The only time I really notice effects is if I've gone 3+ days of no carbs and the keto flu is starting to hit me.. definitely helps keep your energy up, but not like a stim at all.. and definitely listen to the advice above and start out with just a little and slowly ramp up how much you take.. your toilet will thank you.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote