Curcumin

tristen22001

Awards
With all the different extracts available, I'm a little confused on which one to use. I've read that besides inflammation, it can also help with mild depression and anxiety. Anyone know which extract (meriva, longvida, theracumin or bcm-95) would be best for these purposes? My guess would be longvida since it's been shown to cross the blood brain barrier. However, would like to hear others thoughts and personal experiences.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
There are some opinions on the preferred type in this thread (sorry can't direct link yet) anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/264054-best-health-supplements.html

That being said I personally have used meriva and longvida noticing a mood increase with both but not being able to discern between the two in that specific aspect.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
With all the different extracts available, I'm a little confused on which one to use. I've read that besides inflammation, it can also help with mild depression and anxiety. Anyone know which extract (meriva, longvida, theracumin or bcm-95) would be best for these purposes? My guess would be longvida since it's been shown to cross the blood brain barrier. However, would like to hear others thoughts and personal experiences.
Longvida would be a good option.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would agree on the Meriva due to method of delivery being phytosome

tristen22001

Awards
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. It sounds like of the four extracts I mentioned that meriva and longvida might be the best options.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
There wasn't a whole lot of data out there for longvida, but given that it seems to have a greater affinity for the brain, then that may be your best bet. However Curcumin with piperine would also be a good, cheap option.

tristen22001

Awards
There wasn't a whole lot of data out there for longvida, but given that it seems to have a greater affinity for the brain, then that may be your best bet. However Curcumin with piperine would also be a good, cheap option.
That's definitely what had me leaning towards longvida as the best option. However, with its much higher cost, I wanted to get others opinions before ordering it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
That's definitely what had me leaning towards longvida as the best option. However, with its much higher cost, I wanted to get others opinions before ordering it.
Bear In mind I am only speculating. You could try a cheaper option first and if that doesnt work, make your way to something a little pricier. Longvida is just curcumin in a lipid complex

tristen22001

Awards
Bear In mind I am only speculating. You could try a cheaper option first and if that doesnt work, make your way to something a little pricier. Longvida is just curcumin in a lipid complex
Maybe I'll try the meriva extract first since it's about half the cost of longvida. Cheaper options definitely appeal. I'm just not sure which extract would stack best with the lavender extract (silexan) I'm already taking to reduce anxiety. Lavender is working great for anxiety (through its action as a 5-ht1a receptor agonist) but it doesn't seem to do anything for the slight depression I have. I figured curcumin might compliment this nicely since it's been shown to help with that and inflammation. But the studies I saw showed only curcumoids being detected in the bloodstream for every extract except longvida, for which curcumin itself was detected. If curcumin (and not curcuminoids) is the only thing that can cross the blood brain barrier, then it seems like longvida would be the only one that would work for both slight depression and inflammation. I don't know, it gets so confusing reading all these studies and I just don't have the background or intelligence to interpret it all. :)

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I'll try the meriva extract first since it's about half the cost of longvida. Cheaper options definitely appeal. I'm just not sure which extract would stack best with the lavender extract (silexan) I'm already taking to reduce anxiety. Lavender is working great for anxiety (through its action as a 5-ht1a receptor agonist) but it doesn't seem to do anything for the slight depression I have. I figured curcumin might compliment this nicely since it's been shown to help with that and inflammation. But the studies I saw showed only curcumoids being detected in the bloodstream for every extract except longvida, for which curcumin itself was detected. If curcumin (and not curcuminoids) is the only thing that can cross the blood brain barrier, then it seems like longvida would be the only one that would work for both slight depression and inflammation. I don't know, it gets so confusing reading all these studies and I just don't have the background or intelligence to interpret it all. :)
As far as I understand Meriva contains a mixture of curcuminoids of which 75% is curcumin.
Although there doesn't appear to be specific evidence indicating distribution to the brain- I would assume that the Meriva would reach measurable brain concentration. Other phosphatidylcholine complexed compounds certainly do distribute to the CNS and free curcumin has kinetic data suggesting it can also.

In terms of a strong evidence based treatment for mild depression I would suggest SAMe at 400-800mg daily. Although it can become fairly pricey as well.

tristen22001

Awards
As far as I understand Meriva contains a mixture of curcuminoids of which 75% is curcumin.
Although there doesn't appear to be specific evidence indicating distribution to the brain- I would assume that the Meriva would reach measurable brain concentration. Other phosphatidylcholine complexed compounds certainly do distribute to the CNS and free curcumin has kinetic data suggesting it can also.

In terms of a strong evidence based treatment for mild depression I would suggest SAMe at 400-800mg daily. Although it can become fairly pricey as well.
I guess that's the main question I've been having about the non-longvida curcumin extracts. Longvida has evidence that it reaches the brain, the others don't have irrefutable proof but I haven't seen anything conclusive that they don't either. I guess that's where I get into anecdotal evidence from people that have used the various extracts.

I've tried SAMe in the past at 400 mg and it consistently knocked me out about an hour or two after taking it. Felt like a sleeping pill. I took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a high potency b complex.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Mervida is a good option as it is complexed with phosphatidylcholine to improve bioavailibility however curcumin also has good data with piperine which should be cheaper.

See whay can be found cheapest IMO

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
What about MetaCurcumin? They are claiming substantially better bio availability that Mervia and Theracumin.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The curcumin with highest bioavailability is theracumin, it beats longvida and meriva head to head, but it's very expensive

tristen22001

Awards
The curcumin with highest bioavailability is theracumin, it beats longvida and meriva head to head, but it's very expensive
Has it been shown to cross the blood brain barrier (to also help with mild anxity and depression) or would pretty much any extract do that? Longvida is the only one I know of with proof.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
On price/absorption i think the others come out ahead :D
Depends how you look at it. If you're rich, you can megadose, and the data on theracumin shows that bioavailability increases substantially with dose (the opposite is true for other forms). So at some point, it's also the bet bang for your buck...it just depends how serious you are about taking curcumin lol

Has it been shown to cross the blood brain barrier (to also help with mild anxity and depression) or would pretty much any extract do that? Longvida is the only one I know of with proof.
It should cross. Curcumin doesn't have an issue, it's the conjugated forms that may not make it (more of an issue with meriva)

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Is 300mg of Theracumin a day an efficacious dose? This is what I have seen reference a couple times before however at that dose is quite affordable so I am assuming we are talking about much larger minimum dosages.

I have also read 600-900mg per day for anti cancer effects.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Curcumin always interests me. Latest from Ergo-Log, links to other studies relating to "Test" and "Est" are in there too. Mice and Rats, but hey... dosages appear reasonable and no idea what, if any, absorption enhancer was used:

h t t p : / / w w w .ergo-log.com/curcumin-supplementation-glycogen-lactic-acid-stamina-strength.html

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ive been saying for years now that some one should make an high grade / potency curcumin product at an affordable price point.
I found one company that does but its too expensive for the dose I want.
turmeric tea anyone?>

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
ive been saying for years now that some one should make an high grade / potency curcumin product at an affordable price point.
I found one company that does but its too expensive for the dose I want.
turmeric tea anyone?>
With absorption enhancers, the dose needed is reduced (mg not g).

Hopefully that would make it more feasible