Is DMAA safe?

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
So what is the consensus on DMAA safety?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know the one guy who took jacked3d, the original formual which had dmaa in it, and had a heart attack but thats cause i think he took 3 scoops and ran ten miles. In my opinion its not dangerous if you're not stupid haha

CJNator

Awards
If you don't overdose and/or have a preexisting condition that can be negatively impacted by dmaa. In the past I took 5-6 scoop of jack3d because....I was a idiot and I lost feeling of the preworkout after a week.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dmaa (like just about anything else) is dangerous in excess. In reasonable doses, it's a great stim

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
ZackD89

ZackD89

Awards
  • Established
To me, DMAA's benefit is outweighed by it's danger. I used to take the original Jack3d and it definitely helped, but I switched to Cellucor C4 and it was just as good (but without the DMAA). Plenty of preworkout options out there. Recently I switched to just drinking a shot of espresso when I need an energy boost before a workout, and then maybe sipping a BCAA drink throughout the session.

EDIT: From the FDA's website:
Is it safe to consume DMAA?
No, FDA does not have any information to demonstrate that consuming DMAA is safe. FDA is very concerned about DMAA and we advise consumers not to purchase or use any dietary supplement containing DMAA. This substance narrows blood vessels and arteries, which can elevate blood pressure, and may lead to cardiovascular problems such as shortness of breath, arrhythmias, tightening in the chest, and heart attack, as well as seizures and other neurological and psychological conditions. FDA has received 86 reports of adverse events involving products containing DMAA. These events include psychiatric disorders, heart problems, nervous system disorders, and death.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Again like others have said, in sensible use its fine just like caffeine... Too much of that is damaging but if your careful your golden.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
EVERYTHING is dangerous in excess, if dosed properly you will be fine

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At the gym just threw back 2 scoops of the og Jack3D... And I feel perfectly safe :D

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
What's the legality of DMAA in the U.S.?

Here it's banned completely AFAIK, did they just stop putting in the products over there because of the 'scare'?

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Tried to post a link to patrick arnolds blog with a recent article on it. Basically, the FDA did a major study on it that was supposed to leave DMAA a smoking gun but they didn't quite get the results they had hoped for. In other words, it was much safer than they thought.

For some reason I can't post a link until I have 5000 posts but Google it and you can see for yourself

Just like anything else. Take responsibly

MultiVitamin

MultiVitamin

Awards
What's the legality of DMAA in the U.S.?

Here it's banned completely AFAIK, did they just stop putting in the products over there because of the 'scare'?
I believe the FDA has revoked it's status as a "dietary supplement/ingredient". It's still legal to purchase in wholesale, but it cannot be used in any commercial product. No bigger company would risk that, but from time to time I still see some pre's show up containing 1,3

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would say the same thing about dmaa as I would ephedrine or any other supplement....as long as not ABUSED they are relatively safe.

If you're looking for a product with an alternative ingredient..I've had good experiences with amp and caffeine +notropics which is in my mind sometimes better than dmaa for me anyway. There's plenty of companies to go with too.

Shameless product plug so...stop reading here if you're not interested.

Chaos and pain has amp and notropics now. So....buy our **** if you want. I'm also doing a giveaway on the company promo section so...you have a chance of getting free ****. I would be more enthusiastic but our products and reviews speak for themselves.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I believe the FDA has revoked it's status as a "dietary supplement/ingredient". It's still legal to purchase in wholesale, but it cannot be used in any commercial product. No bigger company would risk that, but from time to time I still see some pre's show up containing 1,3
Thanks for clearing that up man, I wish I could get a bag of DMAA here. Can't find it anywhere as its banned completely

bronzminx

Awards
Does anybody know how long 25 mg of 1-3 stays in the system. I have a thermogenic I use that contains only 25 mg but I will be competing in a WADA tested event middle of June. Need to know how soon I need to cut this product out of my supp intake.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 6
Supplements 0
Supplements 5
Supplements 1
nattydisaster Supplements 22