Melatonin Dosing

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

how do you all dose your melatonin?

So many mixed views on the internet.

I sleep really badly, often fall asleep 2-3 hours later than I would like to.

What would be the optimum dosing?

Ive read that .5-1mg 2-3 hours before bed might be a good bet?

I also try to not use any electronics before bed, use F.luxx on my computer and have camomille tea an hour before bed

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I saw something on Dr. Oz a few years ago and he said that you can overdose on melatonin. People assume that the more they take, the more tired they'll be, and the better sleep they'll get.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally use 3 mg an hour or two before bed. Sometimes i crack the tab in half, but usually just go with 3. Ive heard what you have as well, but i train at night and dont get ample time between training and my bed. I get great sleep with 3

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I personally use 3 mg an hour or two before bed. Sometimes i crack the tab in half, but usually just go with 3. Ive heard what you have as well, but i train at night and dont get ample time between training and my bed. I get great sleep with 3
Have you played with your doses to determine what is best? What appealed to you more taking 3 than 1?

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd start with the lowest studied dose (.5mg) and work your way up, its effects are generally not dose-dependent so no reason to take more than you need to.

I would suggest taking it closer than 2-3 hours to when you want to fall asleep though, usually 30 minutes to one hour

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, most of the melatonin tabs I have purchased have been 5mg not .5mg. Maybe that's why it makes me groggy sometimes?

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I'd start with the lowest studied dose (.5mg) and work your way up, its effects are generally not dose-dependent so no reason to take more than you need to.

I would suggest taking it closer than 2-3 hours to when you want to fall asleep though, usually 30 minutes to one hour
Okay, I read on a site that because my natural time would be sleeping at 2am and waking up at 10, as opposed to 11-7, that taking it 2-3 hours before would help set my sleeping pattern earlier, is there any merit in this?

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, most of the melatonin tabs I have purchased have been 5mg not .5mg. Maybe that's why it makes me groggy sometimes?
5mg is pretty damn high. 3 is considered high, apparently less is best with melatonin

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay, I read on a site that because my natural time would be sleeping at 2am and waking up at 10, as opposed to 11-7, that taking it 2-3 hours before would help set my sleeping pattern earlier, is there any merit in this?
I mean, take it 30-60 minutes before when you want to fall asleep. When you go to sleep now isn't all that pertinent. If you want to go to sleep at 11, take it at 10:30 or so.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I mean, take it 30-60 minutes before when you want to fall asleep. When you go to sleep now isn't all that pertinent. If you want to go to sleep at 11, take it at 10:30 or so.
okay. I have 1mg tabs, unfortunately not time released ones, ill take .5mg 30mins before bed and have a smoke

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
okay. I have 1mg tabs, unfortunately not time released ones, ill take .5mg 30mins before bed and have a smoke
A smoke as in cigarettes?

Or a smoke as in something else to help you relax ;)

Tobacco smokers are less responsive to melatonin.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
A smoke as in cigarettes?

Or a smoke as in something else to help you relax ;)

Tobacco smokers are less responsive to melatonin.
something that helps me relax , haha

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have you played with your doses to determine what is best? What appealed to you more taking 3 than 1?
I really cant answer that. I take alot of stims and just feel that the 3 works for me. I knock out, gauranteed and its not even a question of if i will or wont. When i go with less sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. On the nights i take it i dont wanna risk a bad nights sleep. I train really hard and work 6 days a week.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I really cant answer that. I take alot of stims and just feel that the 3 works for me. I knock out, gauranteed and its not even a question of if i will or wont. When i go with less sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. On the nights i take it i dont wanna risk a bad nights sleep. I train really hard and work 6 days a week.
How close to bed do you dose?

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
How should I take melatonin?

Take 0.3 -1 mg of melatonin 90 minutes before you go to sleep. This amount of time will allow your brain to recognize the melatonin you took and make you feel sleepy.

Before you go to bed, it may be helpful to keep the lights down and turn off a nearby television or computer, as light exposure actually inhibits your body from using its own natural melatonin.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Examine says :

How to Take (recommended dosage, active amounts, other details)
For regulating the sleep cycle, doses of melatonin between 500mcg (0.5mg) and 5mg seem to work. Start with 500mcg, and if it doesn’t work, work up to 3-5mg. The benefits of melatonin are not dose-dependent - taking more will not help you fall asleep faster.

To help with sleep, take roughly 30 minutes before going to bed.

Growth hormone appears to spike slightly better at 5mg than 500mcg, although both doses are fairly effective

I dont get why the information on when to take it is SO varied.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
As i said i train at night and take stims. I leave gym around 10pm take dose around 1030. Eat Sleep by 1130 12
Cool, will give it a shot if 3 knocks you out i might need similar treatment

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've seen Coop and Synapsin mention taking it 1-2 hours before bed, but I usually go with .5-1mg directly before bed.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
mr.cooper69 could you shed a little light?

Thanks

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Examine says :

How to Take (recommended dosage, active amounts, other details)
For regulating the sleep cycle, doses of melatonin between 500mcg (0.5mg) and 5mg seem to work. Start with 500mcg, and if it doesn’t work, work up to 3-5mg. The benefits of melatonin are not dose-dependent - taking more will not help you fall asleep faster.

To help with sleep, take roughly 30 minutes before going to bed.

Growth hormone appears to spike slightly better at 5mg than 500mcg, although both doses are fairly effective

I dont get why the information on when to take it is SO varied.
Because, in an industry full of anecdote based recommendations, sales-driven information, and forum 'authorities', there is a huge amount of variation in what people will tell you :p

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
I take melatonin on work nights (3-4 nights a week) because I have to wake up pretty early. I was originally taking 5mg one hour before bed, and it knocks me out pretty hard, but if I don't sleep 8-9 hrs I feel really droggy in the morning and most of the day. I have since bought 3mg pills and found they are the perfect balance, but like stated I would start low and see what works best for you.

It almost always takes at least 30minutes to kick in for me depending on food intake at the time, but one hour is most common.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
something that helps me relax , haha
HAHAHA

OP i rec 1-2mg. but start lower if you wish and see.
personally i like a drink of kavakava and something to help me relax... to help me relax

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Because, in an industry full of anecdote based recommendations, sales-driven information, and forum 'authorities', there is a huge amount of variation in what people will tell you :p
Agreed. I found what worked for me based of experiementation with melatonan. I havent done 1mg extensively. Maybe i will start that. Not opposed to it, just know that 3 def works for me

Paulyd97

Awards
10 grams when needed. Usually kicks in actually 2 hours or so after I take it not right away

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
LOL, here's another scheme :)

I buy mine at Sam's Club - something like 250 sub-lingual tablets for $15. They are 5mg and I take it 30 minutes before bed, after I swallow my ZMA. I've been doing this for almost a year (the bottle is almost empty) and I notice no tolerance or a lessening of the effect. But tonight, I think I'll try 2.5mg and see! :)

GD67

GD67

Awards
I like Solgar Liquid Melatonin. Cost is around $12 for 590 mg. I use 1 to 2 mg each night. Each drop is around .4 mg so exact dosing is easy, and it tastes great.

bonbon

bonbon

Awards
I've used 1mg an hour before sleep for years and works just fine

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I used 1mg with some camomile tea an hour before bed, brain didnt shut off and felt very awake so took another 1mg a couple of hours later. felt like i kept waking up a lot during the night , but dont feel super tired today, so i guess i will just stick with 1mg and take another 1mg later if i cant sleep

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
2mgs works perfect for me, anything over that i just feel off the next morning

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Took half of a 3mg tab last night. Slept very well actually. However i had little to none of the stims i usually do...

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Think Ill try 2g 1 hour pre bed tonight as 1 didnt work so well

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
2g melatonin 1 hour pre bed worked really well last night, slept well until I was woken up at 6am but some sewage truck, but no sleep hangover.

I have some 1mg time released on the way but won't go past 2mg

bonbon

bonbon

Awards
Funny thing is that external melatonin seems to trigger body's own melatonin release, so you don't actually have to take large dosages

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Just an update ; been taking 2mg of melatonin 1 hour pre bed with a honey & camomille tea.

This is the best ive slept in my life, the last couple of weeks, no question.

wake up every day before my alarm and feel really refreshed 5mins after getting out of bed.

Ive even dropped alphamine now as I have no need for the morning kick start it used to give me

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Every time I use melatonin or ZMA I feel like A$$ when I wake up.

Takes me an hour to get going

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Take melatonin earlier and make sure you get 8 hours shut eye. I know if you're woken up from a deep sleep by your alarm on melatonin it makes you groggy.

I get into bed by 11pm and alarm will go off at 8am , so leaves 9 hours to wake up natural

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
Every time I use melatonin or ZMA I feel like A$$ when I wake up.

Takes me an hour to get going
Have you tried taking it earlier then directly before bed. I've found a lot of people that feel groggy take it as they are going to bed. If you take it 1-1.5 hours before bed you may have better results.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried taking it earlier then directly before bed. I've found a lot of people that feel groggy take it as they are going to bed. If you take it 1-1.5 hours before bed you may have better results.
2nd this

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Some good advice in here.

I'll try it out guys, I will admit that I always take it as I'm in bed and normally I'm asleep within 30mins of that.

Perhaps that's my issue.