Dark chocolate 85% vs supplements epicatechin

bb333

Awards
  • Established
100 gr of chocolate,
85% cacao,
costs about € 2,50

a scientific study,
recommend 30 gr per day to get the recommended epicatechin content.

100 gr = € 2,50

per month are 20 € (30 gr of chocolate a day).

A supplement costs about 70 €

85% chocolate Vs supplement

to you, the thread!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
?
This is a comparison to -(-) epi products?
If so it needs far more than this

Can I see the study?

Enough where other constituents in chocolate hit toxic levels , this was said by brundel

And also, I'd rather not need a huge bolus of calories for it

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Chocolate. The worlds newest revolutionary preW. 8 weeks on 4 weeks off

baldymcgee

baldymcgee

Awards
  • Established
you're also adding an additional 500-600 calories

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
This is very interesting. So you're saying just by eating a certain amount of 85% cocoa you're getting the equivalent amount of epi as these OTC products that are selling for like $30+ per bottle?

Just a quick search on examine: "Eating about 26-40g of dark chocolate products containing at least 75% cocoa makes supplementing cocoa extract and (-)-epicatechin unnecessary"

Could this be the new PA soy lecithin alternative!?!?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
This is very interesting. So you're saying just by eating a certain amount of 85% cocoa you're getting the equivalent amount of epi as these OTC products that are selling for like $30+ per bottle? Just a quick search on examine: "Eating about 26-40g of dark chocolate products containing at least 75% cocoa makes supplementing cocoa extract and (-)-epicatechin unnecessary" Could this be the new PA soy lecithin alternative!?!?
Again its a bolus of unneeded calories

And do they say the amount of -(-) epi? Or just "enough"

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I wonder what the oral bioavailability of chocolate is like though. Does Mars have any reps on the site we can query this with?

aovereem

Awards
  • Established
Pure cocoa extract powder is cheaper, has higher concentration of epi and less calories. Im doing a few scoops a day

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pure cocoa extract powder is cheaper, has higher concentration of epi and less calories. Im doing a few scoops a day
Whats you definition of high concentrations? It will not even ball park a single dose of any -epi products unless you consume 100's grams of pure cacoa...

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's not really true...
Quoting from examine "(-)-epicatechin at 158.30mg/100g[2] with other sources suggesting a range of approximately 1.5-2.5mg/g.[3][4] (-)-epicatechin is lower in unsweetened baking chocolate (1-1.2mg/g[4]), dark chocolate (0.31-0.32mg/g[4]) semi-sweet baking chips (0.4-0.57mg/g[4]), milk chocolate (0.02-0.14mg/g[4]), and chocolate syrup (0.06-0.12mg/g[4])"

Hows it not true?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Quoting from examine "(-)-epicatechin at 158.30mg/100g[2] with other sources suggesting a range of approximately 1.5-2.5mg/g.[3][4] (-)-epicatechin is lower in unsweetened baking chocolate (1-1.2mg/g[4]), dark chocolate (0.31-0.32mg/g[4]) semi-sweet baking chips (0.4-0.57mg/g[4]), milk chocolate (0.02-0.14mg/g[4]), and chocolate syrup (0.06-0.12mg/g[4])"

Hows it not true?
Couple that with the increased bioavailibility...

Remember that epi was originally dosed higher due to poor bioavailibility when taken in isolation. It is improved when taken in its natural form thus reducing the need for a huge amount.

I eat 100g of dark chocolate daily anyway due to the health components of dark chocolate.

Un the study quoted in the link below, 30g of dark chocolate yielded ~75mg of epi

http://examine.com/blog/does-dark-chocolates-epicatechin-content-promote-muscle-growth/

Priceplow has a good article on it:

https://blog.priceplow.com/epicatechin

Plus there is other research pertaining to bioavailibility of epi when take either in conjunction with green tea or chocolate. Imagine taking your chocolate with green tea :O

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Hows it not true?
158mg/100g?

Lower than any epicatechin product?

MDX Follidrex.
Avivo Massterone
Evomuse MyoSynergy

All 3 150mg or less.

I'm sure there's more.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Couple that with the increased bioavailibility...

Remember that epi was originally dosed higher due to poor bioavailibility when taken in isolation. It is improved when taken in its natural form thus reducing the need for a huge amount.

I eat 100g of dark chocolate daily anyway due to the health components of dark chocolate
Yeah fair call, i guess i was looking at it too narrowly and speaking about -epi in isolation...

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
158mg/100g?

Lower than any epicatechin product?

MDX Follidrex.
Avivo Massterone
Evomuse MyoSynergy

All 3 150mg or less.

I'm sure there's more.
Whatever man sorry for rustling you jimmies. Doesn't change the fact that you need to eat alot of pure cacoa.

khwaj

Awards
i love chocolate, specially 85% ones
i like to treat myself with it every now and then

if i was to eat it everyday to get the recommended dose i get with OL, 600mg pre and 300mg off days, that would be a lot of calories and also would get sick of eating it
however cocoa powder might be an alternative from what aovereem has suggested

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah fair call, i guess i was looking at it too narrowly and speaking about -epi in isolation...
The newer generation epi products will outdo these - the new BLR product + the new OL product as well, but as Deeb said, there are a few lower dosed products available that can be met with a moderate amount of dark chocolate.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
i love chocolate, specially 85% ones
i like to treat myself with it every now and then

if i was to eat it everyday to get the recommended dose i get with OL, 600mg pre and 300mg off days, that would be a lot of calories and also would get sick of eating it
however cocoa powder might be an alternative from what aovereem has suggested
This dose definitely would be hard to reach. But for those who cannot afford continuous supplementation of epi can just eat 100g of chocolate to at least reap the health benefits.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I'm a 99% guy myself.
The Belgian in me

So much bitter goodness

I love that the packages have directions on how to eat it

NewAgeMayan

Awards
This dose definitely would be hard to reach. But for those who cannot afford continuous supplementation of epi can just eat 100g of chocolate to at least reap the health benefits.
you having a whittakers product?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

khwaj

Awards
yeah
atm -epi is quite expensive supp for me to consider as a continuous supp

if it pans out, it might be considered like the SL of PA supp for cheaper alternative
specially at the dosage i like/take it at

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much pure cocoa extract would be equivalent to 200mg -(-)epi?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
How much pure cocoa extract would be equivalent to 200mg -(-)epi?
Jiggz "30g of dark chocolate yielded ~75mg of epi "

so almost 90g

but they are also arguing it absorbs better in a food source so... who knows

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
85%
90g
200g -(-)epi

Will add this into my stack. Cuz, why not more -(-)epi?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Their 85% dark IIRC. Im picking up more today. Ill see how high the % goes
plz let me know if you find a higher % product than their 72% dark ghana (i think the best cadbury has is their 70% old gold)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
image-1778110220.jpg

When I use dark chocolate
Its DARK

Seriously most people hate this though

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
plz let me know if you find a higher % product than their 72% dark ghana (i think the best cadbury has is their 70% old gold)
I will let you know :D

Edit: Ah, its the lindt that is 90%. That brand is not cost effective lol

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I will let you know :D

Edit: Ah, its the lindt that is 90%. That brand is not cost effective lol
yeah that lindt is way expensive at supermarket (well, it is if you plan on eating 100gm of it per day)

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
What's inside the epicatechin supplement capsules then?

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone been able to find a cost effective cocoa powder? I am able to find some, but cannot tell the % cocoa

Edit: I found on Amazon Hershey's 100% cacoa special dark powder. To get 200mg epi, you'll need about a half of the full tub thingy that it comes in. That is just plain ridiculous since that's like 20 something tablespoons, and for a cup of hot chocolate you would normally put in like 2-3 tbsps.

Also, not to mention like the 20-30g of fiber with this much cocoa. Talk about stomach distress.

Furthermore, the calories in it all. Also, examine says eating that much chocolate should turn out to about $1 a day and I'm sure the products aren't too much more...

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Jimmies aren't rustled, just saying, the cocoa route isn't really less viable than some of the mediocre products on the market.
Absolutely nothing mediocre about myosynergy bro. Lets get that straightened out.

test112

Awards
  • Established
Careful now, you don't want to downregulate your chocolate receptors.

And you'll need to follow up with PCT (post-chocolate therapy).

NewAgeMayan

Awards
yeah that lindt is way expensive at supermarket (well, it is if you plan on eating 100gm of it per day)
its actually on special at countdown at the mo, and not too unreasonably priced...might try the 90%...wished countdown had bogo's and 10% coupon codes

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
its actually on special at countdown at the mo, and not too unreasonably priced...might try the 90%...wished countdown had bogo's and 10% coupon codes
Its like $3 each. One per day makes it expensive.

But I do eat dark chocolate anyway for all its aspects, not just the epi

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Its like $3 each. One per day makes it expensive.

But I do eat dark chocolate anyway for all its aspects, not just the epi
oh yeah fuk 1/day, i do 50gm at most

+cupppa green tea :)