Need a new slow release protein

aoeu

aoeu

Awards
Looks like my usual slow release protein, Monster V, is out of stock at the protein factory. What are some good ones you guys are using?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Why slow release?

You're asking for casein?

I haven't used it since I started with good blends

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I'd go with this

http ://orbitnutrition.com /cart/protein-powder/casein/optimum-nutrition-100-casein-protein-4-lbs..html - Remove spaces - Look at sig for savings

ON sells a good product

As Driven said - a good blend is best. I honestly just prefer whey + Milk - you get a lot more servings that way.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you are meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period if you intake a "Slow" Release or a regular whey/blend it will not matter
i personally would opt for a blend or whey product that wont break your budget and cost you more because at the end of the day meeting protein intake is what matters most

Scivation
Animal Whey
PES Select
MT Platinum Series
Blue Star whey/iso smooth

All good choices.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period if you intake a "Slow" Release or a regular whey/blend it will not matter
i personally would opt for a blend or whey product that wont break your budget and cost you more because at the end of the day meeting protein intake is what matters most

Scivation
Animal Whey
PES Select
MT Platinum Series
Blue Star whey/iso smooth

All good choices.
^^Good recommendations here. That stuff you've been getting looks like a blend of Whey, Egg and Plasma Serum proteins.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just to chime in, while I agree 100% with the responses, slow proteins do have one advantage - feeling full while dieting. Not always, but sometimes I take straight whey in water and I am hungry very soon after. OEP and Select can leave me feeling fine for hours....most of the day sometime.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No need specifically for slow release protein like others have said. Blends like PES Select are proven by science to be superior for athletes, not to mention it is low carb and tastes delicious.

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
For protein powder its all about Select and MTS whey.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
PES select is good and i like ON casein. But you can check out our protein selection are strong supplement shop. We have a lot of slow release protein powder choices.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just to chime in, while I agree 100% with the responses, slow proteins do have one advantage - feeling full while dieting. Not always, but sometimes I take straight whey in water and I am hungry very soon after. OEP and Select can leave me feeling fine for hours....most of the day sometime.
I have figured out not to drink the protein powders and I stay full longer. Instead of using water use 3 tbsp of skim milk and mix in a few blueberries. Makes a nice sludge/pudding and feels like eating food rather than drinking a drink. I think it's more psychological than anything but sure helps me. I haven't drank a shake in a long time. If you have another hundred calories to use mix in a small tub of Greek yoghurt (any flavor) and it is amazing.

LLN

LLN

Awards
  • Established
Another obvious point is that some people (me, for example) just don't like thin proteins. If I make a smoothie with whey vs casein (although blends also can also work well), one is a runny liquid full of chunks of ice and the other a smooth soft serve ice cream like mix...

aoeu

aoeu

Awards
Wow, lots of good suggestions here.

I guess by "slow release" I meant "blend". Just looking for something that won't be in and out within a few minutes like whey.

You guys are right though, it's not as complex as I'm making it. I'll just find a generic whey/casein blend and mix it with plasma protein myself.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow, lots of good suggestions here.

I guess by "slow release" I meant "blend". Just looking for something that won't be in and out within a few minutes like whey.

You guys are right though, it's not as complex as I'm making it. I'll just find a generic whey/casein blend and mix it with plasma protein myself.
PES Select is a blend, and is filler free.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Select is your best bet for a blend imo, very versatile too

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
mmmm SD. Blondie is still king imo
Blondie is too good. i eat the powder straight out of the tub. the new pb cup is pretty banging though, but i would still say blondie takes the win

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
exactly, and secondarily, MPI is naturally built of 20% whey and 80% casein along with the WPC in OEP (soon to be ModernProtein) the consumer gets best of both worlds. Sustained release from Casien and protein synthesis spike from Whey. There is no logical reason to separate those two effects. Think about it Cows milk and mothers milk contain both..

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
PES SD for the win, game over

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
mmmm SD. Blondie is still king imo
Blondie is too good. i eat the powder straight out of the tub. the new pb cup is pretty banging though, but i would still say blondie takes the win
I lean towards blondie as well although peanut butter cup is slowly growing on me more and more.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of Select love in here. Smart consumers. :)

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Picked up some PES Select snickerdoodle at Orbit with the promo. The price was way better than at Amazon...
Good choice. SD is a lot of people's preferred flavor. I personally lean slightly towards CnC but enjoy SD as well.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
No thanks. I'll take OxyElite Protein, or Select over that crap any day of the week!
Explain how this is crap you never had it. Nor have no idea what it contains in the formula.
You the kind of guy who judges a book by looking at the cover too before reading it too right ? :)

Don't always be so fast to make judgements seeing you did not even look at the formula or try it.
While you may like blends that does not mean the product is not good.
Nothing is wrong with MT platinum line of products. It's a personal preference on what powders you enjoy from one to the next

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a nice picture but what is it? I thought micellar was a casein thing, like "micellar casein" vs "calcium caseinate".
Its a new thing that not much is known about

Essentially it is whey protein that is thermally undenatured so that the whey protein molecules form micelles with the hope that their digestion rate would be similar to that of casein.

But so far it is all marketing.. It is a novel idea but there is no actual data available on this, at least none that I am aware of

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Working in the supp industry I would never buy a blend. That just gives the company the opportunity to use less quality protein like soy to up the protein count. Just get whey.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Its a new thing that not much is known about

Essentially it is whey protein that is thermally undenatured so that the whey protein molecules form micelles with the hope that their digestion rate would be similar to that of casein.

But so far it is all marketing.. It is a novel idea but there is no actual data available on this, at least none that I am aware of
we use it to help reach our protein intake in the 24 hour period because we use it from what we cannot get via whole food.
The amount and difference one would get using a Micellar whey or a blend is so negligible in the long run. The key factor is making sure we just hit our 24 hour intake and protein minimums. While "Supplementing" with whey protein to do so from when we cannot get a whole food meal.

For most people food is constantly overlapping with so many meals in a given day that the "Longer" Duration or digestion wont be much more of an asset to other products on the market. Another reason why Casein is a big hype on the market. Whey or Casein if you use either o reach your intake in the day that is what matters most.

Not to mention the sample tub was a beta-test From MT, so it was nice to give it a shot, see how it was/tasted and MT did a good job.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
we use it to help reach our protein intake in the 24 hour period because we use it from what we cannot get via whole food.
The amount and difference one would get using a Micellar whey or a blend is so negligible in the long run. The key factor is making sure we just hit our 24 hour intake and protein minimums. While "Supplementing" with whey protein to do so from when we cannot get a whole food meal.

For most people food is constantly overlapping with so many meals in a given day that the "Longer" Duration or digestion wont be much more of an asset to other products on the market. Another reason why Casein is a big hype on the market. Whey or Casein if you use either o reach your intake in the day that is what matters most.

Not to mention the sample tub was a beta-test From MT, so it was nice to give it a shot, see how it was/tasted and MT did a good job.
I'm sorry, but am I the one that made any claims regarding this whey? Or did I comment on the lack of data to support the claims muscletech made? Because you post reads as though I am the one making some sort of claim here

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm sorry, but am I the one that made any claims regarding this whey? Or did I comment on the lack of data to support the claims muscletech made? Because you post reads as though I am the one making some sort of claim here
Do we really need a claim for a protein powder when in essence they are used to help reach protein intake? not really.
Slow Digesting, fast digesting or not. Its primary purpose is to help reach protein minimums. . I am sure someone from MT or True Grit on various boards will have some research, but i doubt there is much to back it.

Only thing i could find is that Micellar Whey has a 35% higher Bioavailability(from another board)
and Larger Whey protein molecules allow for the protein to be digested slow similar to Casein.

which in essence like i said for the majority on here with multiple meals a day will overlap to the next meal from the previous so the benefit of that is negligible ( Slow release), and if they are meeting protein intake via mostly whole food sources in a day as well.

I simply posted a picture of a tub i got to try from MT in regards to a question someone asked about "what is Micellar Whey" to show them what it was.

alland

alland

Awards
everything right now from my understanding is "preclinical" sooo......its an interesting idea. At least something new to the protein market.

TheFugitive

TheFugitive

Awards
BPI-Whey-HD would be a great choice it's also 3rd party verified through ChromaDex

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
BPI-Whey-HD would be a great choice it's also 3rd party verified through ChromaDex
We have a BPI rep here? Interesting

IMO BPI is a generation behind on flavouring.

I threw out the rest of my Banana, the Strawberry cake and chocolate did not sit right with me either

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Another one just thought of, not sure if mentioned already, UMP, can't go wrong with bev