Protein: diamond in the rough

rpm57

rpm57

Awards
Ok, I know the better proteins are pricy, and you get what you pay for! I get that, and I also know Select, Cellucor, MTS, ect... are good profile proteins! But I'm in search of a good profile protein that's not going to break the bank!

I usually buy in 5lb tubs and spend around $30-$40. Sooo lets see what everyone has to say!

SChasEE

SChasEE

Awards
Protein factory mega whey protein 10lb bag for $100.00, that's 129 servings. Breaks down to $0.77 a serving. This stuff is super simple, only 3 ingredients and it tastes great. Pure unadulterated protein. It comes with 3 party lab testing results also, so you know exactly what your getting.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
RXWHEY

$9 a lb for their whey blend(70% iso, 30% concentrate)

$13 for their problend(Cold-Microfiltered Whey Isolate, Membrane Micellar Casein, Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate, and Egg White protein)

**** ton of flavors to choose from and real high quality.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Could be a bit out of price range but you can get PES select @ orbit nutrition for 10% off with the code SOCIAL. It's amazing stuff!

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
If you only want to spend 30-40 dollars for 5lbs you might just be best buying bulk whey concentrate.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Go to a million GNCs and scour for proteins that are close to expiration :)

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I honestly just wait on good promos and stock up. I buy 10-20lbs at a time

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you're a member at GNC and shop only in the clearance rack the prices arent bad. I've been an ON gold standard whey fan for awhile and the price isnt too bad.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Bulk Taurine & Glycine

that's essentially what you're having if you're getting 5 lbs of protein for $30-40

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'm 3 months into using strictly Dymatize Elite XT. My poundages/or reps are still climbing every week (I start week 5 of PCT tomorrow - so take that for what you will). 4lbs is about $25 at some online retailers with a discount code.

Now, I'm no fool, but I also don't think a lot of what we worry about, really matters. First ingredient is WPC of unknown percentage. Second ingredient is Soy. The rest are WPI, MC, MPI or C (forget), and E. Some worthless crap like CLA is in there. But, from what I could find, it is not spiked, and Dymatize isn't being "Class Actioned".

To kind of "make up" for any weakness, I've adjusted my macros to allow every protein shake to be made with 8oz of 1% Milk (8g 80/20 Casein/Whey), and 3Tbs (5g) of pasteurized "All Whites". I also only get about 85g of my total protein, from powder.

So, I'll be sticking with it until I think it's jeopardizing my progress - I lift for "me", I don't compete... and been married for 15 years, so chicks...LOL.

(Note: I'm seeing new lables (on Lobliners site, for example) that show a different formulation for DEXT - better proteins listed before Soy. I have yet to receive one of these from the place I buy though...and my jugs are recent production with long expiry dates. I don't know what's up with the new labels/formulation).

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
True nutrition has bulk whey. My favorite they have is bulk milk protein which is a mix for like 8usd a pound or something like that

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I was a TN guy for years. Agree on the MPC. I remember when 'Team Skip' was something like $12.50/LB, LOL! 5LBs now is way out of my price range :) Good place though - you can nerd out with the mixing.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I was a TN guy for years. Agree on the MPC. I remember when 'Team Skip' was something like $12.50/LB, LOL! 5LBs now is way out of my price range :) Good place though - you can nerd out with the mixing.
Yeah I like the prices and it is simple if you want just protein, you can get just protein.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, I know the better proteins are pricy, and you get what you pay for! I get that, and I also know Select, Cellucor, MTS, ect... are good profile proteins! But I'm in search of a good profile protein that's not going to break the bank!

I usually buy in 5lb tubs and spend around $30-$40. Sooo lets see what everyone has to say!
You may as well go to Wal Mart and pick up some protein from there if you want cheap protein.

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
April is the Vitamin Shoppe buy 1, get 1 50% off for BodyTech protein. Similar profile to ON gold standard & Dymatize Elite.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
you should also check out myprotein, they always have crazy sales and promos. They're based in the UK but ship to the US. they have some unique flavors

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
They now have a US store also. Great prices and sales all the time.
yeah! they had a promo going a few weeks back that was buy one get one free 2.2 pound bags of their whey. Got me 8.8 pounds for 60 bucks, which is a steal. and the flavors are awesome! i highly recommend it

rpm57

rpm57

Awards
Awesome info guys. Appreciate the honest answers. I've always been a sams club protein guy, EAS max 5lbs for like $30. They quit selling it, I was a huge fan of muscle gage for a long time too!
I'm going to look into these places and purchase something! Lol

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly the ones you listed in the original post aren't even that expensive...

I'd be wary of buying "the best deal" as to reach certain prices some corners are going to have to be cut, there is no way around the protein prices of quality sources.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
i agree with bolt. OP - you should sign up for the PES insider for future sales. the link is in bolt's sig. You just missed out on a crazy release deal for the new PES select flavor. my three tubs are on their way to my apartment

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
If you're a member at GNC and shop only in the clearance rack the prices arent bad. I've been an ON gold standard whey fan for awhile and the price isnt too bad.
I knw a few people that works at gnc and I get my membership free at the fit expos. I drop by once in awhile and they show me great deals. I buy ON protein (5lbs) for $23.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
I knw a few people that works at gnc and I get my membership free at the fit expos. I drop by once in awhile and they show me great deals. I buy ON protein (5lbs) for $23.
those bogo item plus X % off deals. good old days knowing hookups. i highly doubt youre getting it at 23 a pop though

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
guys have any articles? i never saw them listed

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
those bogo item plus X % off deals. good old days knowing hookups. i highly doubt youre getting it at 23 a pop though
Not all the time, but when deals are good they get that low. I'm just going by my last purchase. I'll try to find that receipt.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You will pay a little more for blends like Select, Pronom, etc.

If you want to go with a cheaper option, Cor Whey is usually on sale pretty cheap. Also, SAN Titanium and Dymatize can be found for about $40 for 5 pounds.My protein is another option. I never used MyProtein and do not know about the quality, but the price is pretty good.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You will pay a little more for blends like Select, Pronom, etc.

If you want to go with a cheaper option, Cor Whey is usually on sale pretty cheap. Also, SAN Titanium and Dymatize can be found for about $40 for 5 pounds.My protein is another option. I never used MyProtein and do not know about the quality, but the price is pretty good.
San Titanium is one of the better options out there and I've used Dymatize before as well. Honestly you can find some ridiculous prices on both of those if you dig. Never used Core Whey, but may give it a go when I run out of protein which will be about a year with my stock :)

LLN

LLN

Awards
  • Established
Do you folks trust MyProtein & True Nutrition? I seem to recall MyProtein not doing so well in that reddit test and believe to have read fairly negative comments on the owner of True Nutrition (not getting it mixed up Body Nutrition either) & their pratices.

This other brand the Protein Factory is one I'm curious about because they project the idea of high quality products (including nz whey) yet I don't see them mentioned on forums at all.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Never heard anything bad about TN, got any links? You can get a pretty darn good education on the protein industry if you read a ton on their forum.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
True Nutrition is legit.

I also like Muscle Feast for a good quality protein.

When the have a sale you can get 5 lbs of their 100% whey, 50% WPI / 50% WPC, for $40. The also frequently have their premium protein blend, 1/3 WPI, 1/3 WPH, 1/3 MC, for $54 for a 5lb container.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you folks trust MyProtein & True Nutrition? I seem to recall MyProtein not doing so well in that reddit test and believe to have read fairly negative comments on the owner of True Nutrition (not getting it mixed up Body Nutrition either) & their pratices.

This other brand the Protein Factory is one I'm curious about because they project the idea of high quality products (including nz whey) yet I don't see them mentioned on forums at all.
Never heard anything negative about MyProtein or True Nutrition. I guess if you look hard enough you can find negative comments about anything or anyone on the internet though. Protein Factory I have read a few negative threads about though.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True Nutrition does a lot of in house and 3rd party testing (details of this were recently posted on FB and several forums). The co-owner is also one of the most respected and helpful people in the bodybuilding community.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Are you sure those negative comments were not about Trutein?

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I pay about 10$/lb of iso whey. I get non name brand in a way and make my own mix's so sometimes its a bit less if i use some plant based protein in there like rice.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't looked at True Nutrition in a long time, but a drawback for me was their insanely high shipping prices. Other than that, I like the concept.

GD67

GD67

Awards
NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate (unflavored) is $10/lb. if you use the 15% off subscribe and save option with Amazon...All Natural - No Aspartame, No Sucralose, No Acesulfame-K

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I haven't looked at True Nutrition in a long time, but a drawback for me was their insanely high shipping prices. Other than that, I like the concept.
I get a lot of stuff from TN but I also live in Vista CA so I can just pick it up at their building and save myself the $20 shipping

LLN

LLN

Awards
  • Established
You guys are very likely correct regarding TN. I'll see what I can dig up.

Part of the problem is that in "some places" threads that contain this kind of info get deleted. I don't want to be spreading false rumors either so if I can't find anything we can chalk it up to me probably getting it mixed up with Trutein.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I get a lot of stuff from TN but I also live in Vista CA so I can just pick it up at their building and save myself the $20 shipping
FWIW - I live in Michigan and I paid $9.21shipping for 5 pounds.