pwo carbs

louis19

louis19

Awards
opinions needed guys! waxy maize, maltodextrin or dextrose? which one is better for lean muscle gains and repairs? i see so many different opinions online but i cant work out which ones are correct as the all contradict one another. help!!!

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
opinions needed guys! waxy maize, maltodextrin or dextrose? which one is better for lean muscle gains and repairs? i see so many different opinions online but i cant work out which ones are correct as the all contradict one another. help!!!
carbion
Carbonx
Waxybolic

Any of the above

louis19

louis19

Awards
thanks, we do t have any of those products in england though! other than vitargo i've pretty much got to pick from the 3 above. cyclic dextrin is another option i forgot to mention too!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why not just go with vitargo?

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
go with whichever is easier for you use / acquire IMO

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I personally take after shock critical mass but vitargo is awesome to

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd choose highly branched cyclic dextrins from the options you listed.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why not just eat? I guess I never saw much benefit from carb drinks, and see them as a waste of money.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why not just eat? I guess I never saw much benefit from carb drinks, and see them as a waste of money.
Kinda hard to eat while squatting

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
No need for simple carbs post-workout for the majority of us on here.

When are Carbs and Protein VERY Important Post-workout?

Carbs:
- During leg Training + HIIT Cardio or doing a 2-3 hour intense workout session
Protein:
-Resistance Training in a fasted state (no meal consumed at least 3-4 hours prior)

When are Carbs and Protein of lesser importance Post-workout?

Carbs:
- 1-2 hour training session after a pre-workout meal (Small or mixed 2-3 hours prior to session)
Protein:
- Training after a meal composed of 20-40g Protein at least 1-2 hours prior to a workout in a fed state.

Overall Cliffs:

- Nutrient Timing can be beneficial but window of opportunity is not as big as believed
- Provided protein rich meal 3-4 hours prior to training, there is no stress about immediate post-workout protein supplement or meal
- Consume .4-.5g/kg of LBM in a pre/post workout exercise window spaced 4-6 hours depending on meal size.
- Post workout carb intake does not meaningful increase aabolicsm unless doing a 2 a day workout session involving same muscle groups. Glycogen is not a limting factor if you can consume enough Carbohydrates daily in the 24 hour period.

If you are eating and fueling your body for optimal performance just go home and have a meal. The need for something along those lines would not really benefit you to a great degree

nor is spiking insulin the greatest thing for most of us post-workout:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277409
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17617942

For most of us who train with an intra-workout BCAA or pre-workout meal there is stil food overlap as i touched in the other thread, do we need to spike insulin? absolutely not, food is still digesting, aminos are still present, so do we really need simple carbs post-workout not really..

Could they be optimal .. sure why not? but remember the total calories/macros if meeting your protein/fat/fiber minimums on a daily basis are optimal for your goal.

more:

he postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

Here's what you're not seeming to grasp: the "windows" for taking advantage of nutrient timing are not little peepholes. They're more like bay windows of a mansion. You're ignoring just how long the anabolic effects are of a typical mixed meal. Depending on the size of a meal, it takes a good 1-2 hours for circulating substrate levels to peak, and it takes a good 3-6 hours (or more) for everythng to drop back down to baseline.

You're also ignoring the fact that the anabolic effects of a meal are maxed out at much lower levels than typical meals drive insulin & amino acids up to. Furthermore, you're also ignoring the body's ability of anabolic (& fat-oxidative) supercompensation when forced to work in the absence of fuels. So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

More:

"ou do not need to neccessarily "spike" insulin for creatine to be maximally absorbed, but yes insulin is involved with the trasnsport.

FYI: The insulin and creatine studies I have seen up to this point have involved taking the glucose 30 minutes after the creatine. This may be because the insulin release from the dextrose doesn't entirely coincident with the pharmacokinetics of the creatine absorption.

Personally I think more consistent waves of insulin may be more anabolic than "spikes" anyway. This is because smoother waves of insulin more than likely affect ATP production more beneficially than "spikes" probably do. ATP is what rebuilds muscles and you want the most efficiency you can get here. I'm saying this because there is a delicate balance here between oxidative phosphorylation and lipogenesis (stimulated by acetyl COA carboxylase from HCO3-) in the mitochondrial in the presence of insulin. This "balance" I am talking about here is different for everyone though. Some people "shunt" over to lipgenesis so much sooner than other people. This has to do with other "global" processes happening in the body."

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulinlevels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, the thread is titled "pwo" carbs. That would imply to me either pre or post-workout ;)

My bad!
Nope, it was my mistake. It is about post/pre workout carbs. There was another thread I was getting alerts for that was on intra carbs and got them confused.

My bad

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nope, it was my mistake. It is about post/pre workout carbs. There was another thread I was getting alerts for that was on intra carbs and got them confused.

My bad
No problem, bro! I know you are generally dead on with your advice, so thought I read it wrong :)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That would be too simple. Obviously, we need simple powdered carbs pre or post workout.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Post carbs

ForumRunner_20150330_204245.png

S

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
thanks, we do t have any of those products in england though! other than vitargo i've pretty much got to pick from the 3 above. cyclic dextrin is another option i forgot to mention too!
love love love cyclic dextrin intra workout, game changer imo

louis19

louis19

Awards
what about having an unflavoured version mixed with your whey post workout?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doesn't matter.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
what about having an unflavoured version mixed with your whey post workout?
Most people do not need simple carbs post workout

Read My first post
If you have proper pre workout nutrition most people don't need or have a use for that anabolic window and are fine due to food overlap
Or an intra workout beverage

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

Read My first post
If you have proper pre workout nutrition most people don't need or have a use for that anabolic window and are fine due to food overlap

I'm on that oats ,pb and whey pre workout.

Cheap yet effective. I swear my numbers are increasing because of it.

Best part? A tub of oats are 3$ a tub of peanut butter is 4$ and a serving of whey is 1.19$

Cheap way to increase your performance.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm on that oats ,pb and whey pre workout. Cheap yet effective. I swear my numbers are increasing because of it. Best part? A tub of oats are 3$ a tub of peanut butter is 4$ and a serving of whey is 1.19$ Cheap way to increase your performance.
Have you ever tried cream of rice in place of the oats? I prefer it pre workout, as it's easier to digest (at least in my experience). Tastes great as well.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you ever tried cream of rice in place of the oats? I prefer it pre workout, as it's easier to digest (at least in my experience). Tastes great as well.
Cream of rice is amazing (maple brown sugar)

I put coconut BUtTER in it and cut up a banana and have a shake on the side

It's ****ibg amazing

But I train fasted with intra carbs

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Read My first post
You posted studies relating to diabetics and obese people not relaing to performance lol

E.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277409

This paper is not about post workout carbs - its about glucose control for diabetics. Also a lot of that writing was also about glucose and Creatine as well as AA intake which isn't even mentioned in the OP.

I can tell you that a good carb source peri workout has maximised my recovery moreso than any other supplement. As recovery is hard to measure objectively, creating a study is based mostly around perception (or if you have access to biopsies).

Will it help directly with muscle mass? Perhaps not. But this is not the sole issue regarding post workout nutrition - recovery is also a key factor. Having played around with Carb sources for a long while, I can say (anecdotally of course) than my recovery differs based on the carb source I use.

Additionally, and rather importantly, you state that "if one has proper nutrition" then these carb sources are not needed. But these carb sources can be classed as nutrition as they are a food source. So IMO, they can be used as "proper nutrition" peri workout.

Food for thought.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Additionally, and rather importantly, you state that "if one has proper nutrition" then these carb sources are not needed. But these carb sources can be classed as nutrition as they are a food source. So IMO, they can be used as "proper nutrition" peri workout.
Food for thought
OP asked for PWO (Post-workout carb sources)
not peri workout carb sources or pre-workout carb sources

the statement still stands, if you are well fed pre-workout, or intra-workout there is no direct need for an immediate carb source (Simple sugar) like WMS, HBCD, or other forms of dextrose/malto
again the science by Alan/Brad shows why, and there are plenty of other sources out there to signify. i could go on Pubmed but i do not have the time to bring up plenty of studies.

Most gym individuals who have a pre-workout meal , some may or may not use an intra-workout BCAA beverage (with or without carbs) and then eat right away post-workout are really just cramming in a bunch of aminos, protein, and leucine in a short timeframe which in essence is not 100% necessary and not allowing protein levels to reach refractory stages over a prolonged period of time. This is not allowing protein levels to reach refractory stages before being spiked again which goes against MPS *Muscle Protein Synthes*

AND for most who meet their protein/carb/fat intake int the 24 hour period (Minimums) the need for something Simple (quick) post-workout is a far stretch

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Food for thought
OP asked for PWO (Post-workout carb sources)
not peri workout carb sources or pre-workout carb sources

the statement still stands, if you are well fed pre-workout, or intra-workout there is no direct need for an immediate carb source (Simple sugar) like WMS, HBCD, or other forms of dextrose/malto
again the science by Alan/Brad shows why, and there are plenty of other sources out there to signify. i could go on Pubmed but i do not have the time to bring up plenty of studies.

Most gym individuals who have a pre-workout meal , some may or may not use an intra-workout BCAA beverage (with or without carbs) and then eat right away post-workout are really just cramming in a bunch of aminos, protein, and leucine in a short timeframe which in essence is not 100% necessary and not allowing protein levels to reach refractory stages over a prolonged period of time. This is not allowing protein levels to reach refractory stages before being spiked again which goes against MPS *Muscle Protein Synthes*

AND for most who meet their protein/carb/fat intake int the 24 hour period (Minimums) the need for something Simple (quick) post-workout is a far stretch
You realise laynes research is preliminary and not proven? It discusses an idea that needs further analysis and research.

You are also missing my point - recovery - not MPS, protein synthesis or other. And also that the research you entered had zero to do with the point you made.

Also you are assuming he meant post workout lol he didnt specify

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You realise laynes research is preliminary and not proven? It discusses an idea that needs further analysis and research.

You are also missing my point - recovery - not MPS, protein synthesis or other. And also that the research you entered had zero to do with the point you made.

OP never asked about recovery his statement "Repair" may be dictated or directed towards muscle repair post-workout or muscle replenishment post-workout (which is a guess)
He asked about simple carbs PWO (for most is Post-workout) which he asked
and again for most not optimal due to food overlap, peri-workout nutrition, or eating a meal prior to training and using a peri-workout beverage.
Sucking down simple carbs pre-workout may benefit an endurance athlete, but there are not many on here.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
OP never asked about recovery
He asked about simple carbs PWO (for most is Post-workout) which he asked in the #1 post.
and again for most not optimal due to food overlap.
Sucking down simple carbs pre-workout may benefit an endurance athlete, but there are not many on here.
Yes he did he asked about repairs (recovery) lol

Edit: he can play around with it and see what suits. If it doesnt mske a difference for him then theres no need to keep it. All im saying is anecdotslly these things make a difference than just meals alone for me

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP never asked about recovery his statement "Repair" may be dictated or directed towards muscle repair post-workout or muscle replenishment post-workout (which is a guess) He asked about simple carbs PWO (for most is Post-workout) which he asked and again for most not optimal due to food overlap, peri-workout nutrition, or eating a meal prior to training and using a peri-workout beverage. Sucking down simple carbs pre-workout may benefit an endurance athlete, but there are not many on here.
Actually he did. Read the OP.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For god's sake, do you just argue for the sake of arguing Bob?

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm pretty sure lean muscle gains and repairs means "recovery".

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For god's sake, do you just argue for the sake of arguing Bob?
Then please explain to me why OP needs simple carbs (those 3 choices) for PWO or "Repair"
if he is meeting proper pre-workout/intra-workout nutrition or meeting daily protein/fiber/fat/carb allowance via whole food.

Hence the ENTIRE point i am getting to in here

Most people do not need more powders or pills, if they took a step back and focused on their nutrition they would save countless dollars on buying "Simple" Sugars or carb powders. Which is what i have been preaching all along. And what i have been trying to explain to save OP from buying things that wont merit him, or the majority on these boards because most of us

1--> Train in a fed state
2--> Use a intra-workout or utilize peri-workout nutrition
3 --> do not train in a fasted state where PWO Carbs may be ideal
4 --> Training 2+ hours, or intensity of John Meadows, Breezy, or doing double sessions where research shows carbs along those nature may be beneficial

the average gym rat training 60 minutes and being well fed around their workout will already have optimal performance and not need these "Simple Carbs" for Lean muscle gains or "Repair" since their body is still digesting food in the post-workout period.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards

Please dont get him started on Layne Norton

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which is why I told OP just to eat food LOL.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Hydrodex by pure line nutrition.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Then please explain to me why OP needs simple carbs (those 3 choices) for PWO or "Repair"
if he is meeting proper pre-workout/intra-workout nutrition or meeting daily protein/fiber/fat/carb allowance via whole food.

Hence the ENTIRE point i am getting to in here

Most people do not need more powders or pills, if they took a step back and focused on their nutrition they would save countless dollars on buying "Simple" Sugars or carb powders. Which is what i have been preaching all along. And what i have been trying to explain to save OP from buying things that wont merit him, or the majority on these boards because most of us

1--> Train in a fed state
2--> Use a intra-workout or utilize peri-workout nutrition
3 --> do not train in a fasted state where PWO Carbs may be ideal
4 --> Training 2+ hours, or intensity of John Meadows, Breezy, or doing double sessions where research shows carbs along those nature may be beneficial

the average gym rat training 60 minutes and being well fed around their workout will already have optimal performance and not need these "Simple Carbs" for Lean muscle gains or "Repair" since their body is still digesting food in the post-workout period.
Valid point but you make assumptions. I work out for between 60mins and 90mins and notice a vast improvement in recovery with added carbs. Again anecdotal but a valid indicator for things like recovery. If OP doesnt, then he can just not add them in.

I was mostly pointing out the flaws in what you wrote regarding the studies when you applied a statement to a study which has no relevance to what you were saying (it was about simple sugars vs long chain for diabeties management)

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes he did he asked about repairs (recovery) lol Edit: he can play around with it and see what suits. If it doesnt mske a difference for him then theres no need to keep it. All im saying is anecdotslly these things make a difference than just meals alone for me
Agreed. They make quite a difference for myself as well. Will everyone experience the same benefits? No. What's noticed, if anything, can depend on the individual, their overall nutrition, and training.