Leucine and BCAA's on BP

BJJbum

Awards
Can someone help clear this up for me. I've come across some information lately that says BCAA's specifically Leucine is responsible for increases in blood pressure. Yet there is conflicting research stating that Leucine and Valine are hypotensive. So confused....

I cant post the Links unfortunately.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I have seen this mentioned before but I fear the evidence is reaching. They state activation of mTOr increases BP in obese patients with cardiovascular disease. My guess is that these conditions alter normal metabolic conditions and that healthy people need not fear. Remember that obesity brings with it abnormal conditions that alter metabolism, utilisation and delivery. If you have some stuff for healthy people id be interesyed in reading

BJJbum

Awards
I agree it seemed that the supporting evidence was presented based on obese subjects only. Although it seemed to increase BP one can not rule out that it might do the same to healthy individuals. Im just looking for a clearer perspective. I treat my mild hypertension naturally and plan to as long as I can. I dont want to worsen things.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can you post the title of the paper and lead author or a PMID/DOI number?

BJJbum

Awards
PMID: 21605982 VS Shannon M. Harlan, Deng-Fu Guo, Donald A. Morgan, Caroline Fernandes-Santos, Kamal Rahmouni.Hypothalamic mTORC1 Signaling Controls Sympathetic Nerve Activity and Arterial Pressure and Mediates Leptin Effects. Cell Metabolism, 2013; 17

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PMID: 21605982 VS Shannon M. Harlan, Deng-Fu Guo, Donald A. Morgan, Caroline Fernandes-Santos, Kamal Rahmouni.Hypothalamic mTORC1 Signaling Controls Sympathetic Nerve Activity and Arterial Pressure and Mediates Leptin Effects. Cell Metabolism, 2013; 17
That PMID doesn't match the paper you listed. The paper that corresponds with that ID is -> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21605982 which actually suggests leucine is HYPOtensive

I will look for the paper that corresponds with the title you posted above

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the PMID is 23541372 for the one he was looking at.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not trying to discredit this paper, but a word of caution in regards to drawing too much clinical relevance from it. They injected the leucine intracerebroventricularly into the third ventricle of the rats, so they penetrated the skull with a needle and injected right into the brain. They did an OK job of showing the role of leucine in this pathway in their animal model, but I would be cautious to make a leap before seeing an experiment where they introduced leucine into the diet (e.g. put it in the water). I will certainly look around and see if I can't find anything else on the subject.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not trying to discredit this paper, but a word of caution in regards to drawing too much clinical relevance from it. They injected the leucine intracerebroventricularly into the third ventricle of the rats, so they penetrated the skull with a needle and injected right into the brain. They did an OK job of showing the role of leucine in this pathway in their animal model, but I would be cautious to make a leap before seeing an experiment where they introduced leucine into the diet (e.g. put it in the water). I will certainly look around and see if I can't find anything else on the subject.
From our very own forum neuroscientist ;)

BJJbum

Awards
Thanks for the reassurance and detailed explanation!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the reassurance and detailed explanation!
Anytime. I looked around a bit and couldn't find anything that suggests leucine to be hypertensive. Most "health" articles seem to cite that 2013 Harlan et al paper, but again I don't think that's enough to say there is a link. If you do happen to find any other sources, I am more than happy to look them over.