vitamin d3 5,000iu pill?

clayboy_123

Awards
best brand?
now foods, metagenics, solgar, nature made, other?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
As long as it's not out of a trunk, any name brand should be fine. Sam's Club/Costco has good deals. I currently have a Now Foods bottle.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
To be honest i just go with the cheapest. Do you take a multi additional with your extra vitamin d3?

Carminb1

Carminb1

Awards
Personally I use NOW, add fish oil to help absorption.

liftandletdie

Awards
Most brands should be fine, but I'd avoid ones with soybean oil added. Combine your D with A and MK7 to complete the circle.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like others have mentioned, any reputable brand should be fine.

I personally use Now D3 with LEF Super K.

DB1219

Awards
I take about 1,000 to 2,000 IU of D3 every day. Not to highjack this post, but should I increase the D3? In summer I prefer sunshine to taking pills.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I take about 1,000 to 2,000 IU of D3 every day. Not to highjack this post, but should I increase the D3? In summer I prefer sunshine to taking pills.
There's really no way to tell how much you may need without testing. I personally use more, but my levels were almost non-existent.

liftandletdie

Awards
Everyone is different and the only way you would know is to have your 25-hydroxy vitamin D level checked. Sunshine is a good alternative. I take a lot less D3 in the summer...but still some as I work inside.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
A perfect exposure to summertime sun results in a maximum 10,000iu's before the body shuts off production. Up to you to determine if your exposure was quality. I doubt shorts and a T-Shirt net you 10,000. I've been taking 5000iu's every day, for years - even in summer... but I don't "Lay Out" or boat or anything. If you're in a bathing suit a lot, maybe skip on those days?

Vitamin D overdose, even when it occurs, isn't that big of a deal. Factory workers and mis-labeled supplement bottles have resulted in *Millions of IU's* being consumed, and recovery is basically staying out of the sun and taking, I think, Prednisone.

As far as levels, a 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D test can tell you. Lots of docs are doing them now. I don't think bumping up to 5K will hurt, but it's your body, not mine :)

DB1219

Awards
Everyone is different and the only way you would know is to have your 25-hydroxy vitamin D level checked. Sunshine is a good alternative. I take a lot less D3 in the summer...but still some as I work inside.
Getting blood results today hopefully. Not sure if that level will be included.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Getting blood results today hopefully. Not sure if that level will be included.
Doubtful unless requested. Its not common in general testing