most effective protein powder and protein bar?

clayboy_123

Awards
taste is good critieria, but looking for most effective to take during the day on nonworkout and post workout?
met rx, metagenics, muscle pharm combat, optimum whey,raw protein, other?

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
taste is good critieria, but looking for most effective to take during the day on nonworkout and post workout?
Just pick a high quality blend that you like the taste of and has testing behind it. Select is the forum favorite and is great. I'm a big fan of the Myofeed by Purus. The strawberry is out of this world.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Taste is the biggest factor. Musclepharm tastes like crap. Select is arguably the best tasting. Doesn't matter how good the quality is, if you can't get it down it's useless. Gold Standard is hard on my stomach as well. Nitro tech is way to sweet and leaves some sort of slick film feeling in my mouth.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've tried a lot of proteins and I recently discovered just how great tasting Select protein is. There is a reason why it's a forum favorite. Snickerdoodle FTW!

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I trust very few companies when it comes to protein. Some quick one's are Select, Cor-Whey, and Protizyme

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Select, hands down.

Rumor has it, a new flavor is about to be released btw..... ;)

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
You can read reviews on other forums to see just how well Select scores. I know over on Tiger Fitness they just compared a bunch of proteins and Select was their winner. Pretty solid reviews all around. It's also what I use so I will testify.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
taste is good critieria, but looking for most effective to take during the day on nonworkout and post workout? met rx, metagenics, muscle pharm combat, optimum whey,raw protein, other?
A whey/casein blend is what you want.

Like others said, Select would be one you should check into. Excellent profile, macros, taste, and backed with 3rd party testing. Don't forget about the Leucine Peptides.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
taste is good critieria, but looking for most effective to take during the day on nonworkout and post workout? met rx, metagenics, muscle pharm combat, optimum whey,raw protein, other?
Pes select

Females approve of it as well which is always a way to determine if it tastes as good as others say

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Pes select

Females approve of it as well which is always a way to determine if it tastes as good as others say
My GF doesn't like the Select oddly enough. Her favourite is Nutrabolics Muscle Fusion. She loves that stuff.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Select, hands down. Rumor has it, a new flavor is about to be released btw..... ;)
Got the girlie snickerdoods and blondie

And I didn't even get to try the blondie yet

But high approval from her on the flavor

Warthog13

Awards
For powder, I'm currently on an Optimim Nutrition Gold Standard Cookies & Cream kick right now. Love that flavor!

For bars, I love Quest bars - LOW sugar, a lot of the carbs are from fiber, and (most importantly) great taste! I like the Strawberry Cheesecake based solely on nutrition but the Dbl Choco Chunk for taste.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For powder, I'm currently on an Optimim Nutrition Gold Standard Cookies & Cream kick right now. Love that flavor!

For bars, I love Quest bars - LOW sugar, a lot of the carbs are from fiber, and (most importantly) great taste! I like the Strawberry Cheesecake based solely on nutrition but the Dbl Choco Chunk for taste.
Have you tried Select cookies and cream?

You will never go back to ON. I promise

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For protein powders, stick with a blend, when possible. Some blends I would recommend are:

Select
Big Blend
XF UP 2.0
Pronom, discontinued, but can be found cheaply

For straight whey, you can mix it with Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, etc. Anything with casein in it to make your own blend. Some whey protein powders I trust are:

Cor-Whey
Titanium Whey
ON
Dymatize
Universal/Animal

Bars are going to depend on your macros and how much you want to depend on bars for cals, protein, fat, carbs, etc. I personally enjoy Quest Bars, NuGo Bars, Promax Bars, and Victory Bars.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my girl has been using muscle milk vanilla crème, cant seem to get her to switch to a better protein choice with similar taste, any suggestions? plus muscle milk is overpriced IMO

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my girl has been using muscle milk vanilla crème, cant seem to get her to switch to a better protein choice with similar taste, any suggestions? plus muscle milk is overpriced IMO
Tell her she's wasting her money/flushing it down the drain.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
put SNICKERDOODLE in her coffee

Her life will change

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
she is stubborn (well she is a female) I guess I will have to just bring her options, I have select cookies and cream, she is not a fan and said it bloated her, and she doesn't care for my OxyElite protein either. Any other suggestions to try, brands?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
she is stubborn (well she is a female) I guess I will have to just bring her options, I have select cookies and cream, she is not a fan and said it bloated her, and she doesn't care for my OxyElite protein either. Any other suggestions to try, brands?
She may not do well with casein. Try COR whey

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
to the OP I think as far as profiles go PES Select and USP Oxyelite are the best. I don't know how ModernProtein is going to be though

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You posted the same thread on another board
but ill post the answer again for you:

best protein powder and protein bar? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Out of your list i would suggest ON
If you are open to suggestions:
PES
Scivation
Blue Star
MT Platinum
Pronom (before it goes totally away)
Animal Whey

Protein bar wise:
Quest, Krave, and Robert Irvine Chef Bars

clayboy_123

Awards
What about phase 8 or syntha 6 vs pes select protein ?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What do you mean by effective?. A protein bar or a protein drink is food. You eat it, it's not a drug or a specialized supplement that you would "take". Just trying to get a better understanding of what you mean by "effective".

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about phase 8 or syntha 6 vs pes select protein ?
Can't really compare at syntha-6 as its more of a meal replacement shake with the carbs and fats. Phase 8 I believe has some added fillers (taurine and glycine).

Select has 3rd party testing showing it contains what is on the label (even a little more protein then stated).

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right now I'd say Purus Labs Myofeed/PES Select are the best. There's plenty of decent protein powders out there though.

I like Quest/Chef Irvine Protein Bars

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You have busted taste buds
He has been told that about a lot of things he does not like.
but again this is the supplement industry a lot of people vary on what they like
I loved Pronom, T-Bone could care less for it.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He has been told that about a lot of things he does not like. but again this is the supplement industry a lot of people vary on what they like I loved Pronom, T-Bone could care less for it.
He also isn't a fan of Select (SD and CnC) but does like Milk Chocolate.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Controlled labs is supposedly coming out with protein bars. Don't know when exactly though.
Venture bars. The release got pushed back to July I believe.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you guys heard about these protein brownies that apparently taste amazing to the point where there is some speculation over the macros listed being accurate.... I can't remember the name off hand

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you guys heard about these protein brownies that apparently taste amazing to the point where there is some speculation over the macros listed being accurate.... I can't remember the name off hand
Would that be Lenny and Larry Muscle brownie? If so, look great but hadn't heard anything about not meeting label claims..

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's a ton of people talking about spiked products when there is no concrete evidence. Most of the the lawsuits are pending and tests are subject to rebuttal tests and evidence.

However, there are more consistent brands that people like, most of the recommendations here are from reps or brand whores. Go with whatever flavor you like. And the difference between 20g vs 25g per scoop (alleged spiking accounts for "up to" 5g in a few) is negligible in your diet if you eat whole foods. Ethics are a different question.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^ lol some are very much confirmed

And much larger than 5g

Try 15g + in some

Getting less than half your labeled protein is a pretty big deal

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
There's a ton of people talking about spiked products when there is no concrete evidence. Most of the the lawsuits are pending and tests are subject to rebuttal tests and evidence.

However, there are more consistent brands that people like, most of the recommendations here are from reps or brand whores. Go with whatever flavor you like. And the difference between 20g vs 25g per scoop (alleged spiking accounts for "up to" 5g in a few) is negligible in your diet if you eat whole foods. Ethics are a different question.
It is pretty clear for some companies they spike
Giant Sports was 12g out of 27
Inner Armour was like 20g out of 50 some grams
Phase 8 has a lot behind it too.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Venture bars. The release got pushed back to July I believe.
Damn. I was not aware of that. Originally, they were going to release in April I believe. Oh well, a couple of months to nail a product is better than just pushing it out.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

So if I sell you a gatorade and drink half before handing it over and filling it up with water to replace the lost volume, thats ok with you?

Whether 5 or 50, i expect what I pay for. If I buy a 25 pack of batteries and 5 are missing, I dont just say "oh well my battery needs are met for today so its ok".

Totally relevant analogy haha

A few have been confirmed as well.