Best mass gainer?

MenaceII

MenaceII

Awards
Hey guys im just starting to get in to bodybuilding and I am looking for some advice on a good mass gainer I weigh about 66Kg and I am 25 I eat like a horse and just can't put on weight I seem to go half a stone up or down but always sit around the same weight. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
i almost never personally seen anyone have success using weight gainers. use to work at a supp shop, 99% of them would go some like this,

come in every month or 2, looking exactly the same. or come back after some time off, talk about how they gained 10lbs back when they use to take anabolic xxx super gains unlimited power mass monster protein fuel, but lost the weight since coming off (no not because you cant keep the gains, its cause they dont know how to eat)

moral of the story, learn how to eat, or this isnt for you. mass gainers are for convenience, not because you dont know how to eat. not to mention theyre an expensive band-aid to your eating issues.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Phosphatidic Acid via soy lecithin in addition to a sound nutrition/lifting program.

MenaceII

MenaceII

Awards
Mate I'm a chef not a anorexic teen. So don't worry about my eating habits it's my job to cook all day and to know what nutritional information is relevant for each ingredient and dish. I've not been able to gain weight since I turned about 15 and went from a fatboy to a skinny one. Your 2 cents is appreciated though!

healthfanatic

healthfanatic

Awards
You could make your own! Get a good protein powder and add in some dextrose/karbolic/etc, creatine, leucine and maybe some fruit, peanut butter, or oats. Be creative!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
100% make your own.

Its cheaper.
Its healthier.
It is customizable to your exact macros.

Get a quality whey or blend like Select and add your own healthy carbs/fats to it.

Add PB, bananas, berries, oats, whatever you like.

No gainer will taste as good as a shake with fresh ingredients blended in either.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Unless there is something legitimately wrong with your health, it is scientifically impossible for you to be unable to gain weight as youve said. you dont eat enough, its honestly not even slightly debatable as much as you might think it is. theres been thousands of threads saying the same exact thing, none of which were eating properly.

MenaceII

MenaceII

Awards
Unless there is something legitimately wrong with your health, it is scientifically impossible for you to be unable to gain weight as youve said. you dont eat enough, its honestly not even slightly debatable as much as you might think it is. theres been thousands of threads saying the same exact thing, none of which were eating properly.
Do you want to come over to my house I'll cook you a meal or two. Then you can just follow me about counting my calories and see whether or not a eat enough. Better yet if you have nothing helpful to say. Shut your puss!

Akagami

Awards
Do you want to come over to my house I'll cook you a meal or two. Then you can just follow me about counting my calories and see whether or not a eat enough. Better yet if you have nothing helpful to say. Shut your puss!
Enlighten us then. Write down exactly what you eat for the next three days and post here. Also write down your activities. Even walking. If you walk on your way to work/school and that takes 20 minutes one way, it's also important.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
100% make your own.

Its cheaper.
Its healthier.

Get a quality whey or blend like Select and add your own healthy carbs/fats to it.

No gainer will taste as good as a shake with fresh ingredients blended in either.
110% this. Very customizable in terms of macros and what you put in it.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
why are you being a dik? lmao. you think weight gainers have some special weight gaining enzyme in them? theyre literally liquid calories. if you think youre getting stupid replies, its probably because you asked a stupid question. dont even bother posting your diet, just click first link and buy one from there, have fun.

MenaceII

MenaceII

Awards
why are you being a dik? lmao. you think weight gainers have some special weight gaining enzyme in them? theyre literally liquid calories. if you think youre getting stupid replies, its probably because you asked a stupid question. dont even bother posting your diet, just click first link and buy one from there, have fun.
I'm not being a dick. Also there is no such thing as a stupid question. You're the only person giving me smart ass answers. Im not naive enough to believe there is some miracle weight gainer unless you want to start pumping roids. However there are things than can help punch that little bit of extra to help up my intake I just wanted to know about a good one. I didn't ask to have my diet attacked and if that's how you do help people with genuine eating disorders stop posting on people's threads cause your bull attitude isn't helping anyone

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
100% make your own.

Its cheaper.
Its healthier.

Seconded.

I like:

1 scoop Chocolate protein powder
1 banana
2x tbsn Pb
1/2 cup ground oats (using coffee grinder first)
1/2 cup blueberries.

Cheap and effective. Add more or less as you need

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Seconded. I like: 1 scoop Chocolate protein powder 1 banana 2x tbsn Pb 1/2 cup ground oats (using coffee grinder first) 1/2 cup blueberries. Cheap and effective. Add more or less as you need
I'm a raspberry chocolate kinda guy ;)

But this is the best part, you have the macros ti spare if you want a gainer so add anything you like

JPSwole

JPSwole

Awards
Back when I first started I was a huge fan of mass gainers, I tried CytoGainer, Monster Mass, Real Gains, N2Large, True Mass, MyoJuiced, Critical Mass, Gainers Fuel, Labrada massV60, and ABB XXL from all those I gotta say my favorite was Monster Mass and the Labrada mass v60. But I gotta agree with learning how to eat properly. And its much better to just use a high quality whey or blend of proteins and just add natural peanut butter, oatmeal, and olive oil to make your own mass gainer all that other stuff they add in gainers is not necessary. Currently I use MP Combat powder and just add rolled oats and natural peanut butter or olive oil or you can also use avocado oil.

Akagami

Awards
I'm not being a dick. Also there is no such thing as a stupid question. You're the only person giving me smart ass answers. Im not naive enough to believe there is some miracle weight gainer unless you want to start pumping roids. However there are things than can help punch that little bit of extra to help up my intake I just wanted to know about a good one. I didn't ask to have my diet attacked and if that's how you do help people with genuine eating disorders stop posting on people's threads cause your bull attitude isn't helping anyone
Hey man,

I get where squirt is coming from. If you've been participating in forums for awhile you see these threads come up countless times and more often than not some 20 year old active male is hitting the gym 3-5 times a week, doing an intramural sport a couple times a week as well, and then consuming 2800 calories a day acting like it's a lot.

SO yeah, serious bodybuilders pay TONS of money for advice from nutrition coaches/pro bodybuilders for a diet plan. Post a food log consisting of 3 average and real days for you and everyone here will chime in and give advice for free. Even if you DO decide to get a weight gainer (my challenge to you wasn't necessarily so I could convince you not to buy a weight gainer) you can still get better advice from everyone if you write down exactly what you ate and the amounts of.

On the subject of weight gainers, I'd go with make your own too : P Milk, protein powder, nuts/fruits/oats/pb/chocolate in a blender.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I'm a raspberry chocolate kinda guy ;)

But this is the best part, you have the macros ti spare if you want a gainer so add anything you like
That sounds just as amazing! Love some raspberries

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In to see how many calories you're eating. If you're not actually tracking you'd be surprised how easy it is to come up short.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
+1 on squirt. He's just right. And he isn't a "attacking" your diet. He is pointing out a fact - you aren't eating enough. You are right too - you can make up for that with liquid calories. The in-between is to learn how to eat enough, and make your own liquid calories out of that information (as suggested by others).

But the bottom line is, you are both going in the same direction and you've already, inadvertently, admitted you aren't eating enough (or you wouldn't be looking to take in more calories). You took his comments personally and felt he was attacking your knowledge I think ....but I don't think he intended that. He is just stating the very basics.

I would track calories as you've said you will, and see what you come up with. Maybe you have a super-fast metabolism and the liquid will be a big help. Maybe you will learn something about the reality of what you do vs. your own perception of what you do. Maybe you will learn that you were dead on and squirt really is wrong.

But, if you track your calories and dial in on what you're really doing now, you will be able to adjust appropriately whether it is with liquid or whole food.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In to see how many calories you're eating. If you're not actually tracking you'd be surprised how easy it is to come up short.
This is so true. I've noticed in my life that whenever I talk to someone who's really fat they tell me, "I can't lose weight. I don't even eat anything!" and then when I talk to someone who is 6'2'' and 140 pounds they tell me "I can't gain weight! I eat so much food!" and then when you see what they actually eat you realize the fat person has huge portions and thinks it's normal and is probably eating 5000 calories a day and thinking it is "nothing" and the thin person is actually eating 2,200 calories a day and thinks they are stuffing their face.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Best mass gainer is more food. No supp will come close to more food. Add another complete meal to your day. If that foesnt change anything add two or three more. You shoud be cheffing up a meal every two hours bro. 6 - 8 meals for bulking imo.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wish I had the problem of being unable to gain...

But it truly is calories in / calories out. Just take a look at the amount of calories you are consuming and expending and adjust. Unless your going overboard on exercise easy approach is to increase consumption.

So many possibilities with more calories to play with, some great suggestions above. These guys are just trying to help so try not to be offended with some constructive criticism. i never liked taking advice and lost some valuable time because of it.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
100% make your own. Its cheaper. Its healthier. It is customizable to your exact macros. Get a quality whey or blend like Select and add your own healthy carbs/fats to it. Add PB, bananas, berries, oats, whatever you like. No gainer will taste as good as a shake with fresh ingredients blended in either.
strong this! Get yourself a solid blended protein powder and add various flavor combinations depending on palate (my favorite blended drink is ice, milk, protein, pumpkin, yams, coconut oil, and cinnamon) but the possibilities are endless with a vanilla protein

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And be realistic when calculating how much you actually eat. Like many have said here, people who are trying to gain weight grossly over estimate how much they are actually eating

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol Weightgainers are looked down upon almost as much as site enhancing oil. Ha or at least it seems like it from the responses. I used to use them when I was younger and liked the convinence. I haven't for years so not sure what is reAlly out now. At a quick glance the Arnold one seems resonAble and I like the carb blend in it. I also used to make then with crushed oatmeAl and protein of choice but they taste ****ty and gritty ha. Also maltodextrin gets a lot of hate but all the gainers back in the day used it and it worked out fine for me. I liked to take one serving about an hour preworkout and one serving after. Then I ate clean the rest of the day.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol Weightgainers are looked down upon almost as much as site enhancing oil. Ha or at least it seems like it from the responses. I used to use them when I was younger and liked the convinence. I haven't for years so not sure what is reAlly out now. At a quick glance the Arnold one seems resonAble and I like the carb blend in it. I also used to make then with crushed oatmeAl and protein of choice but they taste ****ty and gritty ha. Also maltodextrin gets a lot of hate but all the gainers back in the day used it and it worked out fine for me. I liked to take one serving about an hour preworkout and one serving after. Then I ate clean the rest of the day.
I personally do not look down on them for what they are but I find it hard to justify something that costs $4+ per serving when you could make your own of equal caloric value, more dense in micro nutrients, and far better tasting than what is on the available for weight gainers. Synthol is a whole other topic hahah

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I saw some weird ones at the Arnold - lower calorie/cleaner gainers. I'd rather just throw in some sweet potato powder in my shake if I want some more carbs or eat more whole foods. I never got into drinking oats, cooked proats is where it's at.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I personally do not look down on them for what they are but I find it hard to justify something that costs $4+ per serving when you could make your own of equal caloric value, more dense in micro nutrients, and far better tasting than what is on the available for weight gainers. Synthol is a whole other topic hahah
ON Pro Complex Gainer, for example, is less than $40 for a 5 lb tub. I don't know what you're talkin about $4 a serving...

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I saw some weird ones at the Arnold - lower calorie/cleaner gainers. I'd rather just throw in some sweet potato powder in my shake if I want some more carbs or eat more whole foods. I never got into drinking oats, cooked proats is where it's at.
Sweet potato powder and protein powder would be great if you had to do shakes and couldnt do the foods.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ON Pro Complex Gainer, for example, is less than $40 for a 5 lb tub. I don't know what you're talkin about $4 a serving...
so 14 servings (650kcals) for the 5lbs coming in at three bucks a serving is not much better. I pulled up serious mass for my original post and it's right under $4. Regardless, it's hard to justify spending that much for calories you could get elsewhere

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
so 14 servings (650kcals) for the 5lbs coming in at three bucks a serving is not much better. I pulled up serious mass for my original post and it's right under $4. Regardless, it's hard to justify spending that much for calories you could get elsewhere
True but most people including myself would rather just throw some powder in a bottle shake it up kick it back and digest 650 cal 60g P 85g C in about 25 seconds rather than make a concoction like that. I mean I get where you're coming from, but it's the convenience for me.

Plus wouldn't oats berries and whatever else you spend 10 min making and cleaning save you $1 per serving ultimately?

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True but most people including myself would rather just throw some powder in a bottle shake it up kick it back and digest 650 cal 60g P 85g C in about 25 seconds rather than make a concoction like that. I mean I get where you're coming from, but it's the convenience for me. Plus wouldn't oats berries and whatever else you spend 10 min making and cleaning save you $1 per serving ultimately?
so if saving that dollar+ a day is not a concern for you and you're happy with your results, keep doing what you're doing.

Back to the matter at hand though. The OP did not express that he wanted the quickest calories nor did he say he was pressed for time. So let's not make this thread something it's not

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
so if saving that dollar+ a day is not a concern for you and you're happy with your results, keep doing what you're doing. Back to the matter at hand though. The OP did not express that he wanted the quickest calories nor did he say he was pressed for time. So let's not make this thread something it's not
Sigh. Buddy, read the title of the thread.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And my recommendation was not a "mass gainer?"

Good luck to the op on achieving his goal, I'm unsubbed

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
. Plus wouldn't oats berries and whatever else you spend 10 min making and cleaning save you $1 per serving ultimately?
Uh no
Oats $3
Berries $5
Pb $4
Coconut oil $10

Beyond that. You don't like fresh berries, the luxury of adding what fruits, pb, fats and fiber YOU like and prefer?

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Uh no Oats $3 Berries $5 Pb $4 Coconut oil $10 Beyond that. You don't like fresh berries, the luxury of adding what fruits, pb, fats and fiber YOU like and prefer?
You would need to go get those items (other than the oats and maybe the PB) every week. In my opinion, it would come out the same if not real close. I still suggest to just get a mass gainer. Not to mention that looks like it would taste terrible. I love ON gainer double chocolate. Smells like ish though if you leave the shaker in the sink for a couple days lol

Nyrin

Awards
You would need to go get those items (other than the oats and maybe the PB) every week. In my opinion, it would come out the same if not real close. I still suggest to just get a mass gainer. Not to mention that looks like it would taste terrible. I love ON gainer double chocolate. Smells like ish though if you leave the shaker in the sink for a couple days lol
Bulk oats are $0.69-$0.89 per pound and a vastly superior carbohydrate source to maltodextrin. You can buy a big bag of frozen berries and big containers of coconut oil, peanut butter, or whatever other fat. You can even premix large quantities of this if you want. In the end, you can have a pretty ballin' "gainer" smoothie for well under $2 per serving.

Nobody is going to be able to argue that anything is more convenient than a tub you just dump into a shaker, and if that's the paramount concern, by all means -- you're the legitimate market for the product. But it will never be the cheapest, healthiest, or most versatile manner of getting calories and overall nutrition in.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"Convenience" and bodybuilding shouldn't be in the same sentence lol

MenaceII

MenaceII

Awards
Looks like I got it wrong when I posted this thread. I was just looking for advice from people who have maybe been where I'm at now. I'm not pressed for time, I intend I maintaining long-term, I wanted help to get started. I was trying to argue with squirt either. As far as I'm concerned I eat over the recommended daily calories for a male especially one of my size and I don't seem to be gaining. If that means I need to eat more than I'm open to anything that's going to help with my gains as I'm looking to bulk 2st to reach my target. If mixing my own shakes is going to be better than powder than in open to that aswell.

I work 60 hour weeks as the head chef of a kitchen 4 of which are 12 hour shifts and I'm on my feet at the stove all day. I don't know if that has something to do with my weight or not? Any advice is welcomed.

What's an Op?

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
"Convenience" and bodybuilding shouldn't be in the same sentence lol
Oh I completely disagree. I, for example, work 60 hours a week and have a fiancé in which we are trying to get our lives started. Not to mention everything else that occupies my time. That's why people meal prep for multiple days intake; convenience.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Looks like I got it wrong when I posted this thread. I was just looking for advice from people who have maybe been where I'm at now. I'm not pressed for time, I intend I maintaining long-term, I wanted help to get started. I was trying to argue with squirt either. As far as I'm concerned I eat over the recommended daily calories for a male especially one of my size and I don't seem to be gaining. If that means I need to eat more than I'm open to anything that's going to help with my gains as I'm looking to bulk 2st to reach my target. If mixing my own shakes is going to be better than powder than in open to that aswell.

I work 60 hour weeks as the head chef of a kitchen 4 of which are 12 hour shifts and I'm on my feet at the stove all day. I don't know if that has something to do with my weight or not? Any advice is welcomed.

What's an Op?
Go with what you prefer. Iforce has a good mass gainer with decent macros and food sources. It just depends on what you will personally prefer

Op is an original poster

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh I completely disagree. I, for example, work 60 hours a week and have a fiancé in which we are trying to get our lives started. Not to mention everything else that occupies my time. That's why people meal prep for multiple days intake; convenience.
Why prep meals when you could drink a mass gainer?

You'll prep meals for a few days (which for me takes a few hours- which I don't think is convenient by any means, but I love this sport ) but won't take a few minutes to throw some items into a blender a make your own weight gainer?

Anyways, agree to disagree.

OP grill more stake, eat more carbs and add some cheats in. You'll gain weight.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

What's an Op?
original poster... You lol

The shifts are definitely going to cause a higher calorie expendature, so thats going to cause you to require more calories, your activity level is higher than average.

I would add in more meals. Start with one extra a day for a week and see where it leaves you. Then add more meals in as needed. Every 2-3 hours would be perfect.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wouldn't worry about timing your meals, just make sure your consuming "x" amount of cho/pro/fat. Add in more calories a day 500 extra calories on top of what you're eating already.

MenaceII

MenaceII

Awards
I've been told that due to my high metabolism I need to take a lot of complex cards aswell is this something you would recommend?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mraesthetic12 Supplements 34
diggyroxx Supplements 21
suoth825 Supplements 11
Supplement Logs 2
Supplements 9