Instant Vs. Fast/Slow Protein Blend For Athletes

TR2

Awards
Sup fellas, Okay so I'm a 6'2" 190 lbs athlete trying to increase strength and power. I'm not looking to gain any weight. My training consists of 4 conditioning/field work workouts, a max weight leg day, and an olympic lift/explosive leg day. I'm looking for a protein to take after lifting and after track practice. I will most likely be drinking it with dextrose. I'm considering: Cellucor - Isolate/Concentrate blend Phase 8 - Whey(Isolate/Concentrate) and Casein blend So should I got with the instant release in Cellucor, or the "8 hour release" in Phase 8? I'm taking casein at night and bcaas intra workout as well. I'm eating maintenance level macros. Thx bros

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
The absorption rates don't matter too much in the grand scheme of things but if you want top knotch proteins look at;
Protogen
PES Select
XF Up/whey
Beverly

of course cellucor protein is fine too

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't need a straight casein product unless you simply enjoy them.

Grab yourself a blend (whey/casein) and you'll be good to go.

Cellucor Whey or Phase 8 are solid choices if those two are what you're looking into.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Solid advice so far. However, I would stay away from Phase 8. Get yourself a quality powder:

Cellucor
SAN
PES
Beverly
Controlled Labs
ON
Animal

Nyrin

Awards
Great suggestions here so far.

I'd add that you really don't need to be slamming dextrose after activity -- just eat whatever carbs you like when you want them.

Also, unless you're training fasted, the BCAAs are probably not doing anything.

There's absolutely no need to consume a slow-digesting protein before sleeping, either. Just get whatever protein you'd like (especially whole food sources) when you want it to meet your daily macros.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just get some bulk protein of whatever kind you want. You'll save a lot of money that was as opposed to purchasing the commercial plastic tub stuff with pretty labels.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
There are no performance benefits from drinking a whey over a casein or vice versa. There is also limited need for slamming down dextrose post workout UNLESS training fasted OR glycogen replenishment must occur rapidly if you train multiple times during the day or late at night and early in the morning.

IMO investing in creamed rice and chocolate milk post workout (what we give our athletes) is a good, economical way to go.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO investing in creamed rice and chocolate milk post workout (what we give our athletes) is a good, economical way to go.
Sure that would work on young underweight athletes, definitely makes more sense than spending extra money on a protein supplement.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are no performance benefits from drinking a whey over a casein or vice versa. There is also limited need for slamming down dextrose post workout UNLESS training fasted OR glycogen replenishment must occur rapidly if you train multiple times during the day or late at night and early in the morning. IMO investing in creamed rice and chocolate milk post workout (what we give our athletes) is a good, economical way to go.
This is why I like Jigz, he doesn't push any bulll**** products and show cases the facts. At my university, chocolate milk is given to all the athletes post workout. I went to my friends house, she had a fridge full of chocolate milk given to her by the athletic dept.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The absorption rates don't matter too much in the grand scheme of things but if you want top knotch proteins look at;
Protogen
PES Select
XF Up/whey
Beverly

of course cellucor protein is fine too
You don't need a straight casein product unless you simply enjoy them.

Grab yourself a blend (whey/casein) and you'll be good to go.

Cellucor Whey or Phase 8 are solid choices if those two are what you're looking into.
Solid advice so far. However, I would stay away from Phase 8. Get yourself a quality powder:

Cellucor
SAN
PES
Beverly
Controlled Labs
ON
Animal
Agree with the choices.
Scivation Whey and Blue Star Whey are great too!

Great suggestions here so far.

I'd add that you really don't need to be slamming dextrose after activity -- just eat whatever carbs you like when you want them.

Also, unless you're training fasted, the BCAAs are probably not doing anything.

There's absolutely no need to consume a slow-digesting protein before sleeping, either. Just get whatever protein you'd like (especially whole food sources) when you want it to meet your daily macros.
See bold

When are Carbs and Protein VERY Important Post-workout?

Carbs:
- During leg Training + HIIT Cardio or doing a 2-3 hour intense workout session
Protein:
-Resistance Training in a fasted state (no meal consumed at least 3-4 hours prior)

When are Carbs and Protein of lesser importance Post-workout?

Carbs:
- 1-2 hour training session after a pre-workout meal (Small or mixed 2-3 hours prior to session)
Protein:
- Training after a meal composed of 20-40g Protein at least 1-2 hours prior to a workout in a fed state.

Overall Cliffs:

- Nutrient Timing can be beneficial but window of opportunity is not as big as believed
- Provided protein rich meal 3-4 hours prior to training, there is no stress about immediate post-workout protein supplement or meal
- Consume .4-.5g/kg of LBM in a pre/post workout exercise window spaced 4-6 hours depending on meal size.
- Post workout carb intake does not meaningful increase aabolicsm unless doing a 2 a day workout session involving same muscle groups. Glycogen is not a limting factor if you can consume enough Carbohydrates daily in the 24 hour period.