New York Attorney General Targets Supplements

baldymcgee

baldymcgee

Awards
  • Established
...at major retailers

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/?action=click&contentCollection=Health&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=Blogs

"Three out of six herbal products at Target — ginkgo biloba, St. John’s wort and valerian root, a sleep aid — tested negative for the herbs on their labels. But they did contain powdered rice, beans, peas and wild carrots. And at GNC, the agency said, it found pills with unlisted ingredients used as fillers, like powdered legumes, the class of plants that includes peanuts and soybeans, a hazard for people with allergies."

The recent prohormone ban was just the beginning. I think there will be more action taken by the government, if sh!t like this keeps popping up.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thats going to continue to happen because these companies are being shady and selling something deviant from what they advertirse, which is dangerous and unethical.
furthermore the government wants to make more money.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...at major retailers

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/?action=click&contentCollection=Health&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=Blogs

"Three out of six herbal products at Target -- ginkgo biloba, St. John's wort and valerian root, a sleep aid -- tested negative for the herbs on their labels. But they did contain powdered rice, beans, peas and wild carrots. And at GNC, the agency said, it found pills with unlisted ingredients used as fillers, like powdered legumes, the class of plants that includes peanuts and soybeans, a hazard for people with allergies."

The recent prohormone ban was just the beginning. I think there will be more action taken by the government, if sh!t like this keeps popping up.
Companies keep giving them a reason to do it.

Nyrin

Awards
I suspect that this isn't deviousness or duplicity on the part of the retailers -- rather, it's complacency from those retailers combined with duplicity of suppliers.

If you look at the original document, affected are the store brands for Walmart, Walgreens, Target, and GNC. I have a hard time believing that all of these companies would be using such ugly and risky tactics to squeeze just a little more out of the bottom line, especially in the case of places like Walmart and Target where supplements likely aren't even a significant portion of their revenue.

Instead, what we likely have here are Chinese suppliers offering "too good to be true" deals on raws that these companies are gobbling up without doing adequate QA or validation on, leading to bunk products.

I imagine some of the premier brands are going to seize on this opportunity to offer forth their own reassuring 3rd-party testing, which is well-deserved publicity for them in keeping a better chain of custody on their ingredients.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
GNC should be investigated anyways for their ridiculous prices and sales tactics.

Reactions: mw1
LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^Their prices are pretty high

Olestra

Olestra

Awards
I sometimes wish there was an official regulating/testing agency for supplements - separate from the FDA. But then I think how that might cause a lot of unnecessary bans.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Ah, Preet Bahara or Cyrus Vance? Jokers, the lot of them. Ban, ban, ban, ban.... worked well with alcohol.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
You would think with the price you pay at GNC at least they could verify whats in there products, anyways wlagreens, walmart doesnt surprise me, this is no different than those cheap protein powders being bunk fillers and very little protein. Thats why i cut down on my supps and stick to very few reliable brands now. Its sad but its probably not even the manufacturer faults, just like we go for the cheapest product so do they.

Olestra

Olestra

Awards
You would think with the price you pay at GNC at least they could verify whats in there products, anyways wlagreens, walmart doesnt surprise me, this is no different than those cheap protein powders being bunk fillers and very little protein. Thats why i cut down on my supps and stick to very few reliable brands now. Its sad but its probably not even the manufacturer faults, just like we go for the cheapest product so do they.
Well, you mean it's not the supplier's fault. The manufacturers absolutely know what they are doing.

The suppliers should verify that the product they buy is legit. It's on them too.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
...at major retailers

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/?action=click&contentCollection=Health®ion=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=Blogs

"Three out of six herbal products at Target — ginkgo biloba, St. John’s wort and valerian root, a sleep aid — tested negative for the herbs on their labels. But they did contain powdered rice, beans, peas and wild carrots. And at GNC, the agency said, it found pills with unlisted ingredients used as fillers, like powdered legumes, the class of plants that includes peanuts and soybeans, a hazard for people with allergies."

NY is trying to regulate a bunch of things recently. Such as vaping.

It sometimes feels like that since marijuana is technically legal now that they are trying to clamp down on other things instead.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
NY is trying to regulate a bunch of things recently. Such as vaping. It sometimes feels like that since marijuana is technically legal now that they are trying to clamp down on other things instead.
like the size of fountain drinks you can purchase or the banning of salt. NY has tried to to get some crazy legislation passed. It's ok though...California is equally as crazy.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Wut

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
idk who the what is to but if it's my post just google ny salt and fountain drink legislation. It was 2010 and 2012 I believe.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey, in re to Cali, at least foi gras isn't banned anymore!

Olestra

Olestra

Awards
This regulatory measure is actually good for the consumer though. Not crazy legislation.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The supplement industry should be much more regulated than it is.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree. It's like the meat packing industry after Sinclair published "The Jungle" ....some things need to be brought to light and companies need to be held accountable. That being said... There needs to be a line. Our government seems to have no problem taking things over in their entirety. Regulation is good but there needs to be balance.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree. It's like the meat packing industry after Sinclair published "The Jungle" ....some things need to be brought to light and companies need to be held accountable. That being said... There needs to be a line. Our government seems to have no problem taking things over in their entirety. Regulation is good but there needs to be balance.
My thing with regulation is that I have no problem with having them, it's that the people regulating often don't really know what they are doing because the regulations aren't getting input by neutral experts on the things being regulated.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's hilarious because most of these supplements are the cheapest raw prices on the market.

Olestra

Olestra

Awards
Just tossed out my store brand melatonin and "ordorless garlic". I had already been thinking they hadn't been doing anything. Willing to bet they're bunk.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just tossed out my store brand melatonin and "ordorless garlic". I had already been thinking they hadn't been doing anything. Willing to bet they're bunk.
You afraid of vampires brah?

Olestra

Olestra

Awards
You afraid of vampires brah?
Well I'm not necessarily afraid of them, but I'd like my garlic supplement to be able to keep them at bay if they become too much of a problem or if I ever lose my trusty heart stake.

The monk60

The monk60

Awards
So they took one study from a questionable lab using questionable testing on questionable samples.

Yep our guvmint at work.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
My thing with regulation is that I have no problem with having them, it's that the people regulating often don't really know what they are doing because the regulations aren't getting input by neutral experts on the things being regulated.
Exactly. It's Catch 22: If you leave it up to the free market, big business will stick ground up flies in your sausage to make a profit (hello 2008 financial crash!). If you whine and want big nanny government to make all the scary things go away, they will F it up because ALL government in incompetent at EVERYTHING - and you will get screwed over some how. The VA and Social Security are prime examples.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's usually not "more government", at least in my opinion. Maybe better laws allowing these sham companies to be sued out of existence is the answer... and people taking responsibility for what they swallow...there *is* an internet, go look up that garlic you're about to swallow and if everyone says it sucks, don't buy it.