nitrates and stomach upset

Younglifter16

Awards
whats the deal with nitrates causing stomach upset?

Id say 1 out of every 2 times I use nitrates (usually happens from potassium nitrate), about 15-20 mins later my stomach feels like its getting stabbed. The only thing that I can compare it to is if you take too much AAv2 at once (dat der Capsaicium). Im sure some of you know what Im talking about. Oh yeah, the pain/sensation only lasts for 5-15 minutes and then vanishes.

anyway, whats the reason for this? Only nitrates too, dose doesnt matter either, I only take 300mgs.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I haven't heard much about stomach discomfort with nitrate supplementation. Any other factors potentially at play?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not the best source. They go over the top with the risks...

Potassium & an Upset Stomach | LIVESTRONG.COM

Try taking it with food:

If you take potassium supplements on an empty stomach you are likely to experience stomach distress, according to "Ultimate Sports Nutrition," by Frederick C. Hatfield. Instead, consume potassium supplements along with meals. Also consult your doctor before trying supplemental potassium if you have a health condition. For example, oral potassium supplements can worsen gastroesophageal reflux disease, irritable bowel syndrome and constipation, note Grossberg and Fox.

Younglifter16

Awards
the only thing I can compare it to is if you guys have taken cayenne extract or capsicum before. It just feels like its burning my stomach.