Beta-alanine increase oxidation in the brain of rats

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
Published April 26 2013.

Peritoneal injections decreased superoxide dismutase activity and increased oxidation in the brains of rats.

Mol Cell Biochem. 2013 Apr 26.

Effects of β-alanine administration on selected parameters of oxidative stress and phosphoryltransfer network in cerebral cortex and cerebellum of rats.
Gemelli T, de Andrade RB, Rojas DB, Bonorino NF, Mazzola PN, Tortorelli LS, Funchal C, Filho CS, Wannmacher CM.
Source
Departamento de Bioquímica, Instituto de Ciências Básicas da Saúde, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, UFRGS, Rua Ramiro Barcelos 2600-Anexo, Porto Alegre, RS, CEP 90035-003, Brazil.

Abstract
β-Alanine is a β-amino acid derivative of the degradation of pyrimidine uracil and precursor of the oxidative substrate acetyl-coenzyme A (acetyl-CoA). The accumulation of β-alanine occurs in β-alaninemia, an inborn error of metabolism. Patients with β-alaninemia may develop neurological abnormalities whose mechanisms are far from being understood. In this study we evaluated the effects of β-alanine administration on some parameters of oxidative stress and on creatine kinase, pyruvate kinase, and adenylate kinase in cerebral cortex and cerebellum of 21-day-old rats. The animals received three peritoneal injections of β-alanine (0.3 mg /g of body weight) and the controls received the same volume (10 μL/g of body weight) of saline solution (NaCl 0.85 %) at 3 h intervals. CSF levels of β-alanine increased five times, achieving 80 μM in the rats receiving the amino acid. The results of β-alanine administration in the parameters of oxidative stress were similar in both tissues studied: reduction of superoxide dismutase activity, increased oxidation of 2',7'-dihydrodichlorofluorescein, total content of sulfhydryl and catalase activity. However, the results of the phosphoryltransfer network enzymes were similar in all enzymes, but different in the tissues studied: the β-alanine administration was able to inhibit the enzyme pyruvate kinase, cytosolic creatine kinase, and adenylate kinase activities in cerebral cortex, and increase in cerebellum. In case this also occurs in the patients, these results suggest that oxidative stress and alteration of the phosphoryltransfer network may be involved in the pathophysiology of β-alaninemia. Moreover, the ingestion of β-alanine to improve muscular performance deserves more attention in respect to possible side-effects.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Published April 26 2013.

Peritoneal injections decreased superoxide dismutase activity and increased oxidation in the brains of rats.

Mol Cell Biochem. 2013 Apr 26.

Effects of ?-alanine administration on selected parameters of oxidative stress and phosphoryltransfer network in cerebral cortex and cerebellum of rats.
Gemelli T, de Andrade RB, Rojas DB, Bonorino NF, Mazzola PN, Tortorelli LS, Funchal C, Filho CS, Wannmacher CM.
Source
Departamento de Bioquímica, Instituto de Ciências Básicas da Saúde, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, UFRGS, Rua Ramiro Barcelos 2600-Anexo, Porto Alegre, RS, CEP 90035-003, Brazil.

Abstract
?-Alanine is a ?-amino acid derivative of the degradation of pyrimidine uracil and precursor of the oxidative substrate acetyl-coenzyme A (acetyl-CoA). The accumulation of ?-alanine occurs in ?-alaninemia, an inborn error of metabolism. Patients with ?-alaninemia may develop neurological abnormalities whose mechanisms are far from being understood. In this study we evaluated the effects of ?-alanine administration on some parameters of oxidative stress and on creatine kinase, pyruvate kinase, and adenylate kinase in cerebral cortex and cerebellum of 21-day-old rats. The animals received three peritoneal injections of ?-alanine (0.3 mg /g of body weight) and the controls received the same volume (10 ?L/g of body weight) of saline solution (NaCl 0.85 %) at 3 h intervals. CSF levels of ?-alanine increased five times, achieving 80 ?M in the rats receiving the amino acid. The results of ?-alanine administration in the parameters of oxidative stress were similar in both tissues studied: reduction of superoxide dismutase activity, increased oxidation of 2',7'-dihydrodichlorofluorescein, total content of sulfhydryl and catalase activity. However, the results of the phosphoryltransfer network enzymes were similar in all enzymes, but different in the tissues studied: the ?-alanine administration was able to inhibit the enzyme pyruvate kinase, cytosolic creatine kinase, and adenylate kinase activities in cerebral cortex, and increase in cerebellum. In case this also occurs in the patients, these results suggest that oxidative stress and alteration of the phosphoryltransfer network may be involved in the pathophysiology of ?-alaninemia. Moreover, the ingestion of ?-alanine to improve muscular performance deserves more attention in respect to possible side-effects.
Yikes

Swolljaboi

Awards
What does this mean? My brain is being destroyed from BA?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Injections, so no metabolism to carnosine? Also, doses look fawkn huge (larger than what we would dose orally?)

*shrug*

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Injections, so no metabolism to carnosine? Also, doses look fawkn huge (larger than what we would dose orally?) *shrug*
This. Me, at 280 pounds, would require at 38g(Yes, gram) dose of BA to match the study...

NewAgeMayan

Awards
yeah I dunno what the murine-human conversion actually is myself, but...hmmm

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thought provoking question time: Why is beta alanine in preworkout products in the first place?

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
This. Me, at 280 pounds, would require at 38g(Yes, gram) dose of BA to match the study...
I used the HED (human equivalent dose) and got 3.36 grams for a 70 kg man. About the dose that beta-alanine manufacturers recommend (from 3-6 g daily).

0.3 mg per GRAM of rat bodyweight X 0.16 = 0.048 mg/g = 48 mg/kg of rat = 3 360 mg for a 70 kg man

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Curious to see if this translate to humans though. Injections in the peritoneal avoid metabolism AND this being done in rats makes me question validity. I don't know enough to comment further though

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I used the HED (human equivalent dose) and got 3.36 grams for a 70 kg man. About the dose that beta-alanine manufacturers recommend (from 3-6 g daily). 0.3 mg per GRAM of rat bodyweight X 0.16 = 0.048 mg/g = 48 mg/kg of rat = 3 360 mg for a 70 kg man
You're right. At work and forgot the conversion factor. Apologies.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
looks like this was discussed (briefly) in the supp sci section on another site...if anyone is interested in reading it, google thread title "could beta alanine cause apathy/other related issues? (neurotoxin?)"

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I used the HED (human equivalent dose) and got 3.36 grams for a 70 kg man. About the dose that beta-alanine manufacturers recommend (from 3-6 g daily).

0.3 mg per GRAM of rat bodyweight X 0.16 = 0.048 mg/g = 48 mg/kg of rat = 3 360 mg for a 70 kg man
I've never had one product that required an intake of 3 grams much less 6 grams of BA. I'm not saying there aren't any but of the ones I've used (about 12) they've never been over 2 grams. Even the bulk doesn't recommend >2 grams, not the bulk I once bought.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
pretty good read....i agree beta alanine is stupid other than the tingles, if you like tingles, sure but it negatively impacts my workouts
I've been using it for 7 years. Believe it or not, I have serious arthritis in my hands and when I use it the tingles and numbness that I get totally removes any pain that I experience with hold heavy dumbbells or barbells. Its as if the pain isnt a factor at all.

Without it I can only perform at about, say, 65% capacity. With it I can perform well near 90% and near 100% capacity.

Id take that over dosing 6 Tylenol a day just to get through a gym session. When I was dosing Tylenol like that I had nothing but other unwanted issues.

So for me it's that specific reason. Perhaps others will say they've never experienced any relief of any pain but concerning me and the arthritis in my hands it's a god send.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been using it for 7 years. Believe it or not, I have serious arthritis in my hands and when I use it the tingles and numbness that I get totally removes any pain that I experience with hold heavy dumbbells or barbells. Its as if the pain isnt a factor at all.

Without it I can only perform at about, say, 65% capacity. With it I can perform well near 90% and near 100% capacity.

Id take that over dosing 6 Tylenol a day just to get through a gym session. When I was dosing Tylenol like that I had nothing but other unwanted issues.

So for me it's that specific reason. Perhaps others will say they've never experienced any relief of any pain but concerning me and the arthritis in my hands it's a god send.
thats actaully awesome to hear, if you find something like that...use it, makes me crawl out of my skin, almost like lifting with a sweater on...very uncomfortable

Swolljaboi

Awards
I dose 5g pre workout and get a huge increase in endurance and reduced recuperation time between sets. I really hope this study is bull****.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've never had one product that required an intake of 3 grams much less 6 grams of BA. I'm not saying there aren't any but of the ones I've used (about 12) they've never been over 2 grams. Even the bulk doesn't recommend >2 grams, not the bulk I once bought.
Most of the studies on beta-alanine and muscular endurance use 3-5 g/day. Just because a supplement under-doses beta-alanine doesn't mean that it's the right amount to use. I've seen plenty of standalone beta-alanine supplements say to take 1.6-2g twice daily, which falls right into that 3-5 g/day range.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Hmmm, maybe Ive read it wrong but the study mentions 3 doses, so that would then equate to 9gms for a human, and not 3gms as per sprintsss calculation.

Anyway, regardless of that, and in lieu of someone more knowledgable offering their take, some points Ive gleaned from further readings.

Our goal is to get as much ba/carnosine into muscle tissue as possible, whilst minimising cerebral saturation. Perhaps good ways to achieve this are:

*Small doses; split doses up during the day. The bodies conversion capacity (of ba to carnosine) is limited/finite. Bolus doses are a no-no.

*Have at least one dose preworkout. As with ArA recommendations, we know that nutrient uptake to muscle tissue is primed periworkout.

*Dose with food where possible. This can enhance loading.

*You may not even need to be dosing 3.2gm+ per day if youve been dosing ba regularly for longer than a few months. After loading, 1.2gm/d has been shown sufficient at maintaining saturation levels.

*Take taurine as well.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Most of the studies on beta-alanine and muscular endurance use 3-5 g/day. Just because a supplement under-doses beta-alanine doesn't mean that it's the right amount to use. I've seen plenty of standalone beta-alanine supplements say to take 1.6-2g twice daily, which falls right into that 3-5 g/day range.
Yes that is my whole stance. The 1-2 or 2.5 grams that I am used to taking is exactly enough to elicit the effects of numbing my arthritis in my hands as I mentioned above.

So for me, it doesn't matter about the 6 grams for muscle endurance or any other supposed benefit. I only need the 2 or so grams in the products I've tried in order to reap my personal benefits.

All of the rest doesn't interest me at all.

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
Yes that is my whole stance. The 1-2 or 2.5 grams that I am used to taking is exactly enough to elicit the effects of numbing my arthritis in my hands as I mentioned above.

So for me, it doesn't matter about the 6 grams for muscle endurance or any other supposed benefit. I only need the 2 or so grams in the products I've tried in order to reap my personal benefits.

All of the rest doesn't interest me at all.
Cool story bro

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
always hated BA. glad i never use it lol. TMG + COP >

ahawk01

ahawk01

Banned
Awards
Wouldn't there be a difference because of the way they're giving it to the rats?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Wouldn't there be a difference because of the way they're giving it to the rats?
Im not convinced there is much to worry about. There more I read on this...if you cycle your beta-al use, and/or supplement with taurine as well, any potential negatives can be minimised.

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that matters is if these rats are making gains. If they are getting swole then isn't it worth the possible health effects?