Nitrates for blood pressure

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone have any success using Nitrates for the purpose of lowering blood pressure.

Please elaborate.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I apologize if I'm assuming incorrectly here, but if you have blood pressure issues that have been validated clinically, I would do as your physician says, as they are well-versed in dealing with these sort of issues. Nitrates do you have a blood pressure lowering ability, but no one should suggest over-the-counter supplements to deal with this sort of issue.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. That is not my case.

I love me some stims so it's a temporary elevation. BP is always close to normal later in the day but not for at least 6 hours later or so. Wanted to see if I can (somewhat) effectively decrease my BP during this time frame that's all.

6 hours (25% of a day) isn't a long time to be acutely hypertensive but cumulatively I have my concerns.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have found that nitrates are great for BP maintenance, but ineffective to lower it from stims. If it is a concern, then you already know what you should do. :)

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
I have found that nitrates are great for BP maintenance, but ineffective to lower it from stims. If it is a concern, then you already know what you should do. :)
how does that work? my cave man like mind is assuming the stims spike something that overrides nitrate benefits? or are they separate pathways all together?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't know the science, I am just talking my experience with stims, nitrates, and a BP cuff at home.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. That is not my case.

I love me some stims so it's a temporary elevation. BP is always close to normal later in the day but not for at least 6 hours later or so. Wanted to see if I can (somewhat) effectively decrease my BP during this time frame that's all.

6 hours (25% of a day) isn't a long time to be acutely hypertensive but cumulatively I have my concerns.
Nitrates would be fine to lower BP, but it wouldn't really matter for stimulants. Part of how most stimulants work involves an increase in blood pressure; that is central to how they work. You usually can't have it both ways :)