Amento + Bioperine

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Question: Would bioperine improve the bioavailibility of amentoflavone, as it does with curcumin, for example?

In the Uncut-Technical-Write-Up.pdf, which is awesome, ANS says that use of p-glycoprotein inhibitor (piperine or naringin) may improve it .

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Bioperine inhibits glucuronidation, by definition "Glucuronidation is often involved in xenobiotic metabolism of substances such as drugs, pollutants, bilirubin, androgens, estrogens, mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, fatty acid derivatives, retinoids, and bile acids." So I don't know if it applies to flavonoids.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bioperine inhibits glucuronidation, by definition "Glucuronidation is often involved in xenobiotic metabolism of substances such as drugs, pollutants, bilirubin, androgens, estrogens, mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, fatty acid derivatives, retinoids, and bile acids." So I don't know if it applies to flavonoids.
Good observation!

Just looked up curcumin, it's a diarylheptanoid.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
We're getting absorption and metabolism confused here.

PgP is involved in absorption. Glucuronidation is metabolism. PgP is still blocked by piperine regardless of the metabolic route used.

But to my earlier point, the strongest inhibitors of PgP and phase II metabolism are ultimately competing flavanoids themselves (naringin being one of the strongest and the reason grapefruit interacts with drugs). So taking amentoflavone as part of a plant with other flavanoids present is crucial. Again, yet another example of this phenomenon is apigenin, which has human studies showing:

1. Bioactivity as an extract
2. Low bioavailability as an isolate

And interestingly, amentoflavone is simply bis-apigenin

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Cooper and others for the reply.
But, sorry if I didn't get it, but my question doesn't seem to be answered.
Bioperine or naringin could enhance the absorption of amento? (not saying it is not absorved, just asking if it could be improved by these or other compounds)

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Thanks, Cooper and others for the reply. But, sorry if I didn't get it, but my question doesn't seem to be answered. Bioperine or naringin could enhance the absorption of amento? (not saying it is not absorved, just asking if it could be improved by these or other compounds)
No.

Big Papi

Awards
  • Established
We're getting absorption and metabolism confused here.

PgP is involved in absorption. Glucuronidation is metabolism. PgP is still blocked by piperine regardless of the metabolic route used.

But to my earlier point, the strongest inhibitors of PgP and phase II metabolism are ultimately competing flavanoids themselves (naringin being one of the strongest and the reason grapefruit interacts with drugs). So taking amentoflavone as part of a plant with other flavanoids present is crucial. Again, yet another example of this phenomenon is apigenin, which has human studies showing:

1. Bioactivity as an extract
2. Low bioavailability as an isolate

And interestingly, amentoflavone is simply bis-apigenin
i admire your patience. srs.