Aciclovir blocks Nitric Oxide?

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi,

I suffer from herpes outbreaks a few times a year, and it gets worse anytime I increase my NO production with Citrulline or Agmatine.

I take Aciclovir to counter that, but I couldn't find any clue on its way of action.
Does it work by inhibiting NO production, or completely different pathways?

Thanks!

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aciclovir can lead to a decrease in NOS expression, but it's mechanism of action isn't inhibition of NO production. Aciclovir works by eventually becoming aciclovir triphosphate in your body, which inhibits certain DNA polymerases. Those DNA polymerases are what were making new copies of the virus. It basically stops new copies of the virus being made, and inactivates the ones already around. We commonly use it here for people with shingles.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
its not the increase in nitric oxide that is leading to breakouts. herpes feed off of arginine and citrulline. so high amounts in the body can stimulate and prolong breakouts

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
its not the increase in nitric oxide that is leading to breakouts. herpes feed off of arginine and citrulline. so high amounts in the body can stimulate and prolong breakouts

You're right:

peaktestosterone.com/Herpes_Arginine.aspx

And apparently Citrulline is not my best bet with herpes...
Is there any other way I can increase my NO production without feeding my herpes outbreaks?

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're right:

Is there any other way I can increase my NO production without feeding my herpes outbreaks?
Agmatine, but you said it causes you to flare.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
You're right:

agmatine, nitrates, there are plenty but those are the main two

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
agmatine, nitrates, there are plenty but those are the main two
I will unfortunately never, ever get to try nitrates because of two major risks:
Conversions of hemoglobin into methemoglobin, and decreased iodine absorption followed by thyroid issues.

I am not sure about agmatine causing breakouts as I have always taken it as part of a mix including Citrulline, so I was never able to rule it out.
And could find no litterature saying it causes to flare.

I am planning to give it a go as a standalone, and to take it with creatine as my pwo.
BUT, I've read that they both compete for NMDA receptors. Would they cancel themselves out if taken together?

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
agmatine does not cause breakouts. you can take both

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
agmatine does not cause breakouts. you can take both
I was rather talking about absorption competition: it looks as though they are both competing for NMDA receptors.
Could they actually be rendered inactive by taking them simultaneously?

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I was rather talking about absorption competition: it looks as though they are both competing for NMDA receptors.
i know thats what you were referring to. If you are worried about it then take your creatine at a separate time

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, not at all. You don't take creatine for anything to do with the NMDA receptor. You take creatine to increase phosphocreatine, which it does regardless of its MOA at NMDA receptors.

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, not at all. You don't take creatine for anything to do with the NMDA receptor. You take creatine to increase phosphocreatine, which it does regardless of its MOA at NMDA receptors.
Awesome!

I guess Marc was wrong on this one:
ww.machinemuscle.com/all-about-agmatine/

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would tend to think that someone on TRT and a major actor of the supplement industry would be quite knowledgeable. He may not be in all areas, but I'm sure he does his research

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would tend to think that someone on TRT and a major actor of the supplement industry would be quite knowledgeable. He may not be in all areas, but I'm sure he does his research
Not at all. He has a history of lying and only looks out for his self interest. When he used to work for Scivation, he had no problems pretending using BCAAs leads to significant lean muscle gain (over 10 pounds). He is nothing more than a health celebrity. Being on TRT does not make you a scientist, nor does being a business man.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
TRT makes you knowledgeable? I need to get on that ASAP

And lol at marc being scientifically minded.

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Aciclovir can lead to a decrease in NOS expression, but it's mechanism of action isn't inhibition of NO production. Aciclovir works by eventually becoming aciclovir triphosphate in your body, which inhibits certain DNA polymerases. Those DNA polymerases are what were making new copies of the virus. It basically stops new copies of the virus being made, and inactivates the ones already around. We commonly use it here for people with shingles.
Thank you with lots of delays!

Still an interrogation in my mind: you say it works by inhibiting the virus replication at the DNA level.
So why would it interfere at all with NOS expression by downregulating it?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thank you with lots of delays!

Still an interrogation in my mind: you say it works by inhibiting the virus replication at the DNA level.
So why would it interfere at all with NOS expression by downregulating it?
Because there are different forms of NOS and aciclovir has a limited effect upon iNOS. I don't know of any modulation of eNOS at all, but could be wrong.